Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 1:48 am

Joe Mantegna and Ronnie Marmo Present the World Premiere Of SELF-INJURIOUS BEHAVIOR At Theatre 68

Quote:
Executive producers Ronnie Marmo and Joe Mantegna, along with Theatre 68 and producers Laura Buchwald and Bren Rapp presents the world premiere of Jessica Cavanagh's Self-Injurious Behavior. Directed by Marianne Galloway and presented in Special Partnership with Autism Works Now. The show, which had a workshop at Theatre Three (Dallas) in May 2018 and then an off-Broadway showcase in April, will have its official world premiere September 6, 2019, with previews beginning Aug. 30, at Theatre 68 Los Angeles.

The play, based on Cavanagh's real-life experience as the mother of a severely autistic child, will again star Cavanagh, and Jude Segrest as her character's son, as well as Madison Calhoun from the Dallas and NYC cast.

Executive producers Ronnie Marmo and Joe Mantegna, along with Theatre 68 and producers Laura Buchwald and Bren Rapp presents the world premiere of Jessica Cavanagh's Self-Injurious Behavior. Directed by Marianne Galloway and presented in Special Partnership with Autism Works Now. The show, which had a workshop at Theatre Three (Dallas) in May 2018 and then an off-Broadway showcase in April, will have its official world premiere September 6, 2019, with previews beginning Aug. 30, at Theatre 68 Los Angeles.

The play, based on Cavanagh's real-life experience as the mother of a severely autistic child, will again star Cavanagh, and Jude Segrest as her character's son, as well as Madison Calhoun from the Dallas and NYC cast.

The connection for this team is Dallas-based Bren Rapp, who produced both Lenny Bruce and Self-Injurious Behavior in New York. Rapp and NYC-based Laura Buchwald will produce SIB in LA. The production is in association with Autism Works Now.

Joe Mantegna, whose adult daughter Mia has autism and who has participated in Autism Works Now programs explains, "It is important to understand that this is a condition that does not go away. As much as we put emphasis on the issues that happen with children, what happens to them when they become adults? They are adults a lot more years than they are children and we have to think beyond". Playwright and star Jessica Cavanagh's own son is now entering adulthood and still in group care, making the issues addressed through the production's outreach efforts a fitting continuation to her story.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 5:48 am

The real question is, are they casting autistic actor(s) for autistic character(s)?

#palestinianlivesmatter

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 9:43 am

Zakatar wrote:
The real question is, are they casting autistic actor(s) for autistic character(s)?

No mention in the article of it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman