Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

delphirabbit
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Sep 2018, 6:07 am

Hi all,

The phrase "wired differently" is used all the time in reference to autistic minds (but not so much for non-autistic minds really). How do people feel about that term? Is it a useful metaphor for helping to explain autism in an easy way? Or does it just add to the 'Othering' of autism by making it sound like something robotic? After all, brains are not made of wires and circuit boards!

David
(@Fantastic_Aut & @DHartleyWriter)

Here to be in the wider world of autism. Fascinated in the link between autism and the fantastical genres. Delve in with me on YouTube: The Fantastic Autistic https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKFGHLYnAPrz_XGAodX8vAQ

Let's talk on Twitter: @Fantastic_Aut

Radiance in Dailiness :)

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 2:36 pm

I don't mind it at all.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

alcockell
Raven
Raven

06 Sep 2018, 2:42 pm

Back in the 90s, when we were pushing to debunk Lovaas/ABA the first time around, Hubert Cross etc helped with promoting what we were saying - "It's the wiring, stupid". At the time, all the pressure was put on us as the behaviourists tried to blame us for being different.

Good to see it's FINALLY being truly grokked...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 4:41 pm

It works for me.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2018, 5:25 pm

I have no problem with the term.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 5:21 am

When I first read it (in the handbook they gave me after my assessment) I felt YES! That's it. I don't mind the

robot wording as it's wired differently rather than were wired and they're organic. It suggests all humans are wired,

just not in the same way.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 5:57 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
When I first read it (in the handbook they gave me after my assessment) I felt YES! That's it. I don't mind the

robot wording as it's wired differently rather than were wired and they're organic. It suggests all humans are wired,

just not in the same way.

EXACTLY!

Nothing remotely offensive about it.

Its a rather accurate metaphor.

Another way to look at it is that all humans are computers, but autistics use Linux, while most folks are on Windows, which means autistics have a different operating system than do most folks even thought their computing power may be the same.

If you're neurotypical, but are neurotic, and need to see a shrink then...you have the normal hardware, and the normal operating system, but you were fed bad software when you were growing up in childhood. And the shrink is there to correct your software.

In contrast if you're autistic or aspie, you have an unusual operating system. So you need to be made aware of that difference, and you need to adopt new software to help interphase with other computers (ie most people) to translate the output of their operating system into your operating system.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 10:02 am

delphirabbit wrote:
Hi all,

The phrase "wired differently" is used all the time in reference to autistic minds (but not so much for non-autistic minds really). How do people feel about that term? Is it a useful metaphor for helping to explain autism in an easy way? Or does it just add to the 'Othering' of autism by making it sound like something robotic? After all, brains are not made of wires and circuit boards!

David

Depends who I'm talking to. I have a PhD in the hard sciences, so this description is one of my go-tos.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 11:40 am

I like it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 7:55 pm

I like the term wired differently. That's what I am.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 8:07 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I like the term wired differently. That's what I am.

Happy "Okto-Bier-Fest," CockneyRebel!

I can speak clinical-ese with the best of researchers, but with lay people, describing our differences is probably best said as "wired differently." The idea of autists having twice as many neurons is enough to convince me that the phrase is accurate.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 10:05 pm

Have never heard that we have "twice" as many neurons, but I have heard that we don't trim our neurons, and they collect more branches. So that fact alone means that in a literal sense we are "wired differently".

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 6:45 am

It's a pretty good metaphor; I like that the work used is "differently" not "wrongly."

BookwormSophie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Sep 2018, 3:32 pm

I like the term. I think it sums up my condition perfectly.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 3:44 pm

I deem it to be fraudulent. The hardware is the same. The programming is different.
Windows and Linxus obviously behave differently but there is no true difference in the hardware/wiring.
The software-code is the only real difference. The human genome-project was a colossal failure by the way.
Considering how it was discovered that even a number of insects contained more genes in their DNA than humans.

delphirabbit wrote:
Hi all,

David

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

24 Sep 2018, 8:30 pm

I like it. While brains are not made of circuit boards, they do use electrical signals for processing as do circuits, so I think it's appropriate. Plus, synaptic connections can be thought of as "wires."