Favorite Autism Media/Favorite Autism Media Representation?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MC1729
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Feb 2019, 12:49 am

What's your favorite autism movie/TV show representation and what's your favorite autism movie/TV show overall? I must admit I haven't seen many autism-related movies. I know "The Predator" sucked, so I'm not watching that. I've watched parts of "Mozart and the Whale" but honestly I didn't find it that interesting, same thing with "Adam". I'm definitely NOT watching "Dear John" because any Nicholas Sparks adaptation is GARBAGE IMO. Personally out of the few "autism movies" I've watched, my favorite representation has been Dakota Fanning's character Wendy in Please Stand By (2017), because Wendy acted like an actual person, and not just a stereotype. I want to watch "Snow Cake" and "Jane Wants a Boyfriend", but I can't find them anywhere, though "Snow Cake" looks like a really good representation based on the trailer. The problem is, "Please Stand By" honestly wasn't that good of a movie despite the honest autism representation, so I would have to say my favorite movie about autism is "Rain Man", though it's a very dated and stereotypical representation of autism, it's still a good movie, and based on the real story of the incredible Kim Peek. Autism TV shows are another thing altogether (I've seen "The Good Doctor", "Boston Legal" and "Atypical" and they all sucked IMO). I liked the character of Spencer Reid from "Criminal Minds" although he was a stereotype too.

AQ Score: 46 out of 50

EQ Score: 5 out of 80

RDOS Score: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 145 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 51 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

cemil
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Feb 2019, 3:11 am

I dont think i care enough about it and ive never heard of anyone talked about it so idk any

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2019, 3:47 am

“Please Stand By” Dakota Fanning as Wendy because it was the least stereotypical/updated “Rain Man” charactor and a likable fun character.

That is not a knock on Rain Man which for both better and worse is still the most influential representation and deserved its Oscar’s but the savant/genius stereotype that still predominant.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 10:15 pm

I agree about Please Stand By... an incompetently plotted movie, just unbelievable, but with a well-portrayed autistic main character.