Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2018, 5:25 pm

http://www.newsweek.com/scientists-edit-autism-genes-traits-texas-crispr-research-mice-997948

This is absolutely eugenics. Of course, they referenced Autism Speaks in the article, which is no surprise.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2018, 5:34 pm

Child of the Universe wrote:
http://www.newsweek.com/scientists-edit-autism-genes-traits-texas-crispr-research-mice-997948This is absolutely eugenics. Of course, they referenced Autism Speaks in the article, which is no surprise.
It isn't a cure; it is more of a vaccine. Still sad news, though.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2018, 10:39 pm

Here is another “cure”
Reversing autism with a cancer drug

Quote:
Researchers may have found a promising new treatment for a genetic form of autism. Using experimental cancer drugs, scientists reversed the condition in mice.

Over 7 percent of these cases have been tied to chromosomal defects, suggesting that many of the impairments in social communication, movement, sensory perception, and behavior that characterize the syndrome are down to genes.

Specifically, some people with ASD are missing a piece of their chromosome 16.

Known as 16p11.2 deletion syndrome, this chromosomal defect often leads to neurodevelopmental disability and language skills impairment.

Now, researchers may have found a way to reverse this genetic form of ASD. Scientists led by Prof. Riccardo Brambilla — of Cardiff University in the United Kingdom — used experimental drugs that were initially developed to treat cancer to restore normal brain function in mice with ASD-like symptoms.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

beady
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 12:21 am

I didn't know newsweek still existed.
Is newsweek a good news source?

https://slate.com/technology/2018/02/wh ... affers.htm

I've personally noticed MSN seems to be leaving out major segments of current events.

Is it just me or is some online news getting significantly blurred by political interests?

Okkano
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jun 2018, 12:42 am

Some here: ok so how can i make my kid reliably have aspergers

Spectral Aurtist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2018, 4:14 pm

I used CRISPR to make myself part octopus. No joke. Doesn't seem to have done anything interesting though.

:|

AND YES....Editing autism OUT of genetics IS Eugenics. 100% no argument. and it's fine really so long as it is NEVER enforced...because in that SINGLE instant...it's CRAZY dark fascism.

Almost nothing more evil than stripping a person of their right to have their own genetics and to pass them on for better or for worse. that can't ever be allowed to happen and I am totally willing to admit I am terrified of it.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 4:30 pm

Autistic mice: always digging and jumping around! :)

Just like me!

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2018, 7:08 pm

Spectral Aurtist wrote:
I used CRISPR to make myself part octopus. No joke. Doesn't seem to have done anything interesting though.

:|

AND YES....Editing autism OUT of genetics IS Eugenics. 100% no argument. and it's fine really so long as it is NEVER enforced...because in that SINGLE instant...it's CRAZY dark fascism.

Almost nothing more evil than stripping a person of their right to have their own genetics and to pass them on for better or for worse. that can't ever be allowed to happen and I am totally willing to admit I am terrified of it.

Part octopus? Wow! How did you do that? I didn't know CRISPR could be used on full-grown humans.

On the second point, I don't think that some people will have a choice. With all the hateful rhetoric spread about autism, parents might decide to edit out autism genes in their children. So even though it isn't technically "enforced," it still will happen. Luckily, it hasn't gotten too far yet, and it is still illegal to use CRISPR for any reason on people.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 9:56 pm

I don't think that cocktails like CRISPR should be used in order to tamper around with the genes of any living thing.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 6:51 pm

The CRISPR always sounds like the prelude to the Maddaddam Trilogy to me.

https://www.geneticsandsociety.org/biop ... am-trilogy

Margaret Atwood freaks me out.

Robert312
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jul 2018, 11:41 am

I saw an article in "Nature" that mentioned that. If autism were "cured" the world would become like one big cocktail party. Everyone being social and yick yacking all the time. Everyone would be forced to be social. Few new things would get invented. The society would slowly stagnate and regress as people only cared more and more about reality shows, actors, and singers. Technology would slowly disappear as became more hedonistic.

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jul 2018, 8:49 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I don't think that cocktails like CRISPR should be used in order to tamper around with the genes of any living thing.

I agree. I think it gets way to close to eugenics and designer babies. And there are so many people who would go and "cure" their child of autism.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2018, 1:08 pm

CRISPR Could Be Causing Extensive Mutations And Genetic Damage After All
"It became clear that something unexpected was happening."

CRISPR has been heralded as one of the most important breakthroughs in modern science, but there could be a hidden and potentially dangerous side effect to the wonders of its genetic editing technology, a new study reveals.

A systematic investigation of CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing in mouse and human cells has discovered that the technique appears to frequently cause extensive mutations and genetic damage that the researchers say wouldn't be detected by existing DNA tests.

"This is the first systematic assessment of unexpected events resulting from CRISPR/Cas9 editing in therapeutically relevant cells," explains geneticist Allan Bradley from the Wellcome Sanger Institute in the UK.

"We found that changes in the DNA have been seriously underestimated before now."

https://www.sciencealert.com/crispr-edi ... etion-site

There Are Four Lights!

Okkano

18 Jul 2018, 7:51 am

There are multiple ways to apply crispr, it's not good to generalize between all of them.

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2018, 5:17 pm

Okkano wrote:
There are multiple ways to apply crispr, it's not good to generalize between all of them.

What do you mean? I agree that CRISPR could theoretically be used for treating serious genetic diseases, but I also think that there is a "slippery slope" and that using CRISPR for "treating" autism or other conditions that are not necessarily bad might eventually happen if CRISPR is allowed to get out of control. And, as shown by the recent article, CRISPR could also cause genetic damage.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2018, 9:10 am

The acronym, CRISPR, alone sounds awful, as if a person is being thrown into a crisper and incinerated, which sounds almost literally true.