Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 4:22 am

cyberdad wrote:
Don't need one...operate pretty efficiently in the NT world although I am a bit of dick...

That's cool then. Luckily being a dick is not a crime yet so we won't get locked up :lol:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 4:52 am

A lot of NT females I knew probably wished I was locked up but hey! I'm just a male...

d057
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2019, 9:56 am

I have switched between the two phrases throughout the years. I only take issue with either "person with Autism" or "Autistic person" when someone uses their experiences with a neurological disorder to assume they know what is best for me when they don't actually know me.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2019, 10:05 am

We say "person with Down Syndrome" and you pretty much can only say it person first. "Down Syndrome person" sounds strange.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 10:18 pm

"autistics" sounds better than both

What is so great about being a "person"?

:mrgreen:

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 9:13 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
I am an autistic autist with autism. I like to autism autistically.

But anyway. You wouldn't call a woman a "person with female-ness" or an African-American a "person with black-ness". It's okay to say "diabetic" or "epileptic" and those are ten times worse than autism. How come we don't say "Person with diabetes" or "person with epilepsy"?

I agree completely. I have no problem saying I'm autistic or I have autism. I use them interchangeably.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 9:25 pm

Just curious if anyone introduces themselves that way? or do they wait for somebody to ask?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 11:31 pm

I don't really care, I mean I guess whatever is the easier one to say...I mean I don't see any real difference between the two..person with autism, autistic person, I just don't see the difference.

IHeartDrSeuss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jun 2019, 9:19 am

Depends on who I'm with. When I'm with people I consider decent, language use doesn't matter. But there are some people here who hear the word 'autistic' and immediately plasters every single ugly stereotype the media perpetuates on me or whoever they're talking about and then they make jokes using those stereotypes and won't stop even when I ask them to. With these people, I use person first language because I want to hammer it into their thick heads that these are PEOPLE they're insensitively mocking and making fun of and we have feelings too so stop that BS.

inkgirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Aug 2019, 8:35 pm

I don't care if its person-first or identity-first language. In the big picture, does it really matter?

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 8:44 pm

Amen, inkgirl!

I don't care for it either. I think it's silly to be policing stuff like that. Seriously, whatever you call it makes no difference in the amount of autism I actually have.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 8:59 pm

"Person with autism" sounds kind of patronizing to me, for some reason, but I don't insist that people use one or the other.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

RobertColumbia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2019, 3:18 pm

Sometimes, I think that "person first" language is a smokescreen to distract people from more important matters, such as the lack of services. Not only could the effort spent in pushing for person first language be diverted toward services people actually need (such as home support, employment help, school accommodations, etc.), sometimes I suspect that there is something even more nefarious going on - that those who think they ought to be in control want us to use up our energy talking about this rather than the real issues. Truth be told, I'd rather be "an autistic" with meaningful support services in my life (e.g. a job coach) than "a person with autism" who is told that he can accomplish anything and then shown the door.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 5:17 pm

I read the subject line as "First Person" Language and opened it because I type "I" instead of "A" all the time. So I guess I am disqualified from this conversation.

That said, I am new to ASD and my instinct would be "I am autistic" or HFA or on the autism spectrum. Not sure how to use ASD... I'll read more responses when I have a moment. Although I am confused about whether to stay in the closet and when to advocate.