Autistic Actors “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 8:28 am

Actors on the autism spectrum bring unique perspective to ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest’

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 8:31 am

Access denied for me. Quote?

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 8:35 am

^
It only opens for US IPs

Quote:
While it may seem an odd choice for a company dedicated to making the stage accessible to people with cognitive challenges, “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” has become a perfect vehicle for the Spectrum Theatre Ensemble, which finds poetry and empowerment in the play based on the Ken Kesey novel.

PROVIDENCE — While it may seem an odd choice for a company dedicated to making the stage accessible to people with cognitive challenges, “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” has become a perfect vehicle for the Spectrum Theatre Ensemble.

The Providence company, composed mainly of people on the autism spectrum, is staging a production this month of the 1962 book and 1975 movie about Randle McMurphy, a criminal who pleads insanity to avoid jail time and is sent to a mental institution. McMurphy questions procedures in the asylum and rallies other patients to confront the staff.

“We did a lot of play readings last winter, and the company was really excited about this one,” notes Madison Weinhoffer, who plays Nurse Ratched in the production, which opens Thursday at the Wilbury Theatre. “We thought that having people with disabilities play these characters would be significant.”

In addition, Weinhoffer, one of two actors in the production who are not on the autism spectrum, says the language in Dale Wasserman’s adaptation of the Ken Kesey novel is appealing and “more poetic about people with mental illness.”

She has been attuned to the nuances of language in theater since she and Clay Martin, the artistic director of Spectrum and director of “Cuckoo’s Nest,” first met in a class called “Theatre in the Community” while attending Texas Tech University. They focused their project on the autism center next door to the campus, the largest such facility in the state.

“We formed a community troupe with people from the center and watched how their involvement helped further their social skills and gave them professional equity to achieve things,” Weinhoffer says. “We would blend life skills in with the theater.”

A grant brought Martin to Providence to partner with Trinity Repertory Company on work specifically by and for people on the autism spectrum, who tend to require more structure, explanation and guidance, and who often dislike loud noises and flashing lights. Trinity has introduced sensory-friendly performances for its productions, and all that Spectrum does reflects those needs.

In working on “Cuckoo’s Nest,” Weinhoffer incorporates all the tips she used in writing the curriculum for her college project and Spectrum’s guiding philosophy.

“We are a highly communicative company. We ask every member what they need and what they will provide,” she says. “We create a safe space for them to tell us their ‘spectrum’ needs — do they need to take periodic breaks? Do they need to walk away sometimes? Do they need to wear headphones?”

Rehearsal processes can be more intensive than in other companies because Spectrum must follow a strict routine and defined timelines. Any changes are communicated widely and well in advance, because it can be difficult for people with autism to adapt to change.

“They often need very specific instructions, and that’s OK. We give the equity to them to tell us what they need,” Weinhoffer says, adding that one actor who wears headphones all the time sports a headpiece that incorporates them into his costume for the show.

This production of “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” is a collaboration between Spectrum, Red Fork Empire, a local artists collective, and The Wilbury Theatre Group, which has offered its stage for productions.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 8:42 am

Thanks.

It's such a great film. I hope they do a good job of this.

I wonder why they chose autistic people.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 8:49 am

You're welcome.

The movie was a masterpiece and I loved the book too.

On a side note, only 3 movies ever won the "big 5" (Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Screenplay), and this is one of them. It certainly set the bar very high.