Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 7:36 pm

Amy Schumer's husband has Asperger's Syndrome.

Quote:
The 37-year-old comic realized not long after she started dating Chris Fischer - who she married in February 2018 following a whirlwind three-month romance - that his "brain was a little different" and explained it's because he has the condition, which is a form of developmental disorder autism and can cause difficulties with communication and social interaction.

In her upcoming Netflix special 'Amy Schumer: Growing' she told a crowd in Chicago: "I knew from the beginning that my husband's brain was a little different than mine. I have to start this over because I really want to get this right because I love him very much.

"My husband was diagnosed with what used to be called Asperger's. He has autism spectrum disorder. He's on the spectrum. And there were some signs early on."

The 'I Feel Pretty' star - who is expecting her first child with the chef - went on to admit she has shared a lot of "'Huh' moments" with her husband, starting from when she fell over on one of their first dates.

But the 'Trainwreck' actress is unfazed by his condition and admitted one of the reasons why she fell in love with him was because "he keeps it so real" and always tells the truth.

She said: "Once he was diagnosed, it dawned on me how funny it was, because all of the characteristics that make it clear that he's on the spectrum are all of the reasons that I fell madly in love with him.

"That's the truth. He says whatever is on his mind. He keeps it so real. He doesn't care about social norms or what you expect him to say or do."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Mar 2019, 2:53 pm

I hope he was OK with the public disclosure, because that really wasn't for her to say.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2019, 2:56 pm

She's also Chuck Schumer's cousin.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

liminal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2019, 9:42 pm

She's also a hilariously unfunny comedian.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 1:12 am

Amy Schumer on why she revealed her husband's autism diagnosis

Quote:
Amy Schumer is hopeful that at some point being diagnosed with autism will be no big deal.

The comedian/actress appeared on Wednesday night's episode of "Late Night with Seth Meyers" and discussed why she chose to go public with her husband Chris Fischer's diagnosis of high-functioning autism spectrum disorder.

That's why we both wanted to talk about it because it's been totally positive," she told Meyers. "I think a lot of people resist getting diagnosed and even some of their children because of the stigma that comes along with it."

Getting a diagnosis has been incredibly helpful, Schumer said.
"The tools that we've been given has made his life so much better and our marriage and our life more manageable," she said. "I just wanted to encourage people to not be afraid of that stigma."

The star pointed out that at one point people were embarrassed to admit that they had attention deficit disorder and now many people speak up about having it.
"I think there are a lot of people with autism who go undiagnosed when I think their life could be better if they got those tools," Schumer said.

This is 2019 so somehow people will find a way to turn this into a negative but it should’t be.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 2:18 am

It's an interesting story. But Amy Schumer is greatly unloved, so this was always going to be a controversial thread.

I don't find her funny either.

Im glad she loves his aspieness though. Theres hope for us all.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 1:30 pm

Wait....Is she really a comedian?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 8:14 am

Amy Schumer has perfect response to how she'll 'cope' if son has autism like husband

Quote:
Amy Schumer floated the interest balloon in a docuseries about her pregnancy and birth in an Instagram post featuring a sweet picture of herself and son Gene.

Many, including celebrities like Snooki, Rosanna Arquette, Paris Hilton and Glenn Close, gave an enthusiastic yaassss!

But one fan replied on her Instagram, "Not really, honestly." Others felt the same. Though it's what she said next that brought a reply from Schumer, 38.

"I think you’re great, I just feel like it’s self serving and overdone," the commenter wrote. "I’d like to see a documentary of you discovering your mate is diagnosed with autism and how you cope with the possibility that your child will be on the spectrum.

Schumer wanted to back the truck up when it came to the word "cope."

Schumer responded: "how I cope? I don’t see being on the spectrum as a negative thing. My husband is my favorite person I’ve ever met. He’s kind, hilarious, interesting and talented and I admire him. Am I supposed to hope my son isn’t like that?"

The poster later apologized for her "poor choice of words."

Hundreds of fans praised Schumer's response.

"Your comment set my hair on (fire emoji) It's called love, joy, downright perfection! My darling grandson is on the spectrum and he gives off more light than the Sun!!," one person wrote.

Another wrote: "this might be the greatest response in the history of Instagram comments."

Schumer, who gave birth to her son Gene Attell Fischer May 5, added in her response to the Instagram poster that she's a mom and has this parenting thing covered, thank you very much.

"I will pay attention and try and provide him with the tools he needs to overcome whatever challenges come up like all parents, she wrote. "I’d be disappointed if he liked the Big Bang theory and nascar not if he has ASD."

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 7:00 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Amy Schumer on why she revealed her husband's autism diagnosis
Quote:
Amy Schumer is hopeful that at some point being diagnosed with autism will be no big deal.

The comedian/actress appeared on Wednesday night's episode of "Late Night with Seth Meyers" and discussed why she chose to go public with her husband Chris Fischer's diagnosis of high-functioning autism spectrum disorder.

That's why we both wanted to talk about it because it's been totally positive," she told Meyers. "I think a lot of people resist getting diagnosed and even some of their children because of the stigma that comes along with it."

Getting a diagnosis has been incredibly helpful, Schumer said.
"The tools that we've been given has made his life so much better and our marriage and our life more manageable," she said. "I just wanted to encourage people to not be afraid of that stigma."

The star pointed out that at one point people were embarrassed to admit that they had attention deficit disorder and now many people speak up about having it.
"I think there are a lot of people with autism who go undiagnosed when I think their life could be better if they got those tools," Schumer said.

This is 2019 so somehow people will find a way to turn this into a negative but it should’t be.

I would like to know what tools they were given that have made his life so much better.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 1:45 pm

I hope she had his permission to use him in one of her so called "comedy acts". Is she funny even???