Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 4:58 pm

As you know most of us here have classical autism, Asperger, ADHD, or other psychological conditions, some even become Astronauts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Nowak
Granted she may be not the best example for AS community :P

I participated in one our Polish discussion forums for people with neurodevelopmental disorders, such as Asperger's Syndrome, ADHD dyslexia etc, a bit like WP.

In my country of Poland, such people often go to special classes, so-called integration classes, but they are taught according to normal principles and there are also normal children.

Some guy wrote that he stained relationship with daughter that had Asperger, because he said bad stuff about her BF who had ADHD, that he tried he stop her seeing him, the boy apparently was good in sport and science but terrible in humanities like Polish Language and English, because was dyslectic, and was argumentative and talking back to teachers , and like to fight both in words and fist.

Guy wrote that his daughter proofread his school assignment.

He wrote that he did not want his daughter to date with an idiot who has problems spelling what he wrote, in his opinion people with ADHD, especially boys, are predestined to be criminals like Gypsies, Muslims or blacks.

Although the boy reportedly wrote the final exams in mathematics and physics very well, although he had to repeat the Polish language exam and had poor English and German grades, because he chose such foreign languages for the exam, because in my country you need to know two foreign languages to pass high school, when I went to school, only one was required, I chose English and passed without problems :D

That guy said he was a little wrong with this boy.

I wrote back to him that he was wrong and very, and that he is a nasty boor and racist. That you can't judge other people so much that all people who are not neurotypical are in the same situation!.

That as a person with Asperger Syndrome, I was an outcast myself and I was friends with other outcasts like me, that I know many people with ADHD, they are impetuous, sometimes they do things before they get an idea, but they are loyal, funny, friendly and honest, at least those I know.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 5:53 pm

For my Autistic traits I got stigmatized as for most my life neither me or anyone else knew I am autistic.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Donald Morton
Toucan
Toucan

06 Oct 2019, 6:05 pm

It wasn't friends or acquaintances, but from within my own family (siblings) where I was stigmatized and ridiculed.

Dimples123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Oct 2019, 6:28 pm

Oh yeah still to this day, people have a strong hatred for anyone with a learning disability.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 7:28 pm

Dimples123 wrote:
Oh yeah still to this day, people have a strong hatred for anyone with a learning disability.

I wonder why learning disability paradoxically doesn't mean someone is dum :(

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 7:33 pm

My mother and her side of the family have always treated me with impatience and intolerance, like an enigma. I was told from a young age that I was useless because I was overly introverted and anxious. They are all very outgoing people who laugh, drink, dance and party in large groups. This has always made me very uncomfortable and unwilling to spend time with them.

Their bullying was far more damaging than what I experienced at school. At school, I could hide from the kids who shunned me. I couldn't hide at home. It hurt much more to be rejected by my own family.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2019, 12:30 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My mother and her side of the family have always treated me with impatience and intolerance, like an enigma. I was told from a young age that I was useless because I was overly introverted and anxious. They are all very outgoing people who laugh, drink, dance and party in large groups. This has always made me very uncomfortable and unwilling to spend time with them.

Their bullying was far more damaging than what I experienced at school. At school, I could hide from the kids who shunned me. I couldn't hide at home. It hurt much more to be rejected by my own family.

So sorry to hear that. It really affects our attachment ability and emotional development when we are not validated and cherished by parents. This I have personally found, affects how we form all our relationships ultimately. We need this unconditional love from parents in order to thrive emotionally.