Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2019, 12:40 am

Mercury News

Quote:
It didn't take long at all for Wollongong man Michael to steal the show.

He's one of a number of people on the autism spectrum allowing cameras to follow them as they navigate the world of dating in the new doco Love on the Spectrum (ABC, Tuesdays, 8.30pm).

The show follows seven singles in their quest for love, kicking off with Michael.

He's so totally endearing, it's going to be hard to top him.

In the first minute or two after appearing on camera Michael, who has Aspergers, drops so many lines that make the viewer smile and and go "awwwww'.

When asked what his greatest dream in life is, he answers with "to become a husband".

He shows us his bedroom, where he has a pair of "love ducks" on his bedside table - the idea being that they are meant to ensure love comes your way.

"I actually bought them from a store in Newtown six years ago," he explains.

Then he brings out a heart-shaped plaque with a frame in the middle - "I made it specifically for my future wife".

He also admits to being a romantic person but is yet to go on any dates.

The extras on iView are also worth a look. It's where Michael drops some funny lines - "I have a date this evening and I would like to look my absolute best ... especially in the face".

The beautifully-made show comes from the same team behind last year's Employable Me, which looked at people with conditions like autism and Tourette Syndrome trying to get a job.

Some of those people were successful, which leads me to hold out hope that there might be those find love here.

There are awkward moments in the first episode, as you would expect when two people go out on a first date, but the makers of the show handle that quite delicately.

At one stage, sensing Michael's date Amanda is feeling overwhelmed, the crew ask if she wanted to take a break

She did - and so they give her some space to deal with her anxiety

It's a sign that the show genuinely cares for the singles in the show and is very much on their side.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman