The Voice's Will Breman Opens Up About Asperger's Diagnosis

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2019, 2:46 am

Will Breman aims to break the stigma surrounding autism by having honest conversations about his condition

Quote:
Will Breman is a man of many talents.

The Voice top 10 contender wowed fans once again with an incredible performance of the hit song “My Body” by Young the Giant during Monday night’s episode of the singing competition. The musician, 25, left audiences feeling impressed after he hit the stage — but he was left feeling some pain after he “threw out” his right knee during his rendition of the classic song. Luckily, he didn’t appear to be injured throughout the evening.

Breman is one of three remaining contestants on Team Legend, led by PEOPLE’s Sexiest Man Alive John Legend. The artist, who learned to sing when he was just 3 years old, is living with Asperger’s — a high-functioning form of autism. He says Legend knows exactly how to work with his unique learning abilities.

“He will go over everything with a fine tooth comb and break it down into ways that I can understand,” Breman tells PEOPLE. “That’s perfect for me, being on the autism spectrum and having Asperger’s syndrome, and just being analytical by nature. So to have all that together… I couldn’t think of anyone better to work with.”

Of working with the singing sensation and EGOT-winner (Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony), Breman says the pair are like two peas in a pod.

While Legend, 40, and Breman have found ways to navigate the singer’s diagnosis, he revealed that his condition does have some negative effects.

“I definitely have a propensity off-camera for anxiety and depression,” he tells PEOPLE. “It definitely affects me in certain ways, so being here has been a huge master class for me in establishing a good routine of eating well, exercising well, sleeping well and most importantly talking about it.”

“For me, it’s talking about the autism spectrum,” he continues. “It’s there to kind of break stigmas. I think the more we talk about it, the more we have an understanding of what’s going on.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman