Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 10:55 am

carlos55 wrote:
The social model of autism pushed by advocates is largely nonsense. The idea that we can only function in a parallel universe where everything is perfect and we don't need to do the things NT`s do to survive like go out in the world to earn a living and support ourselves.

No, we're pushing for more autistic-friendly workplaces -- which already do exist here in this universe; we just need a lot more of them.

carlos55 wrote:
There is only one earth that wasn't built for humans, evolution built humans to function on it.

Humans are capable of changing human society. I've witnessed drastic social changes within my lifetime -- including, for example, advances in disability rights. There was a time, not too many decades ago, when the idea of wheelchair accessibility wasn't on anyone's radar. An even more drastic social change, which faced much greater public resistance, was the advent of gay rights including same-sex marriage.

carlos55 wrote:
We make up only 1% of the pop, the other 99% are not going to change apart from a few minor concessions like quite hour at the store and educational tweaks here and there that will do very little for those severely effected. Most of what advocates want like an end to the open office are unpopular with NTs (the 99%)

Are you claiming that most NT's like the open office and wouldn't want to get rid of it? That's actually not true at all. See articles here and here and here and here and here.

carlos55 wrote:
or uneconomic to implement.

"Open offices" are actually a classic example of upper management being penny wise and dollar foolish (or pound foolish). Open offices seem more economical at first glance, because they save money on real estate, but many studies have shown that they substantially reduce worker productivity -- even for NT's.

Indeed, many of the things we want that would make a workplace more autistic-friendly are actually things that would create a better work environment for NT workers too. So it certainly should not be impossible, in the long run, to win popular support.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 29 Feb 2020, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 12:23 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Advocates want to separate autism from all the other disorders associated with it, but this is not possible. Their is no "pure autism"

The point is not that there is a "pure autism." The point is that it would be both simpler and safer to treat a few of a person's specific issues that cause the person the most suffering than it would be to try to "cure" the person totally by rearranging the person's entire brain. Furthermore, the specific issues that both (a) cause the most suffering and (b) are most likely to lend themselves to safe and effective medical treatment, are, in the vast majority of cases, NOT the "core symptoms of autism."

carlos55 wrote:
its a collection of overlapping disorders & multiple genetic faults as scientists recently confirmed in the beginning of this video.

https://www.simonsfoundation.org/event/ ... disorders/

What I understand this video to be saying is that autism is an arbitrarily defined subset of what the speaker calls "neurodevelopmental disorders," in general, and what I would just call freaky brains. There is an infinite variety of different ways that a human brain could possibly be freaky, and the symptoms thereof often overlap. (I would add that most brain freakiness is disabling in various ways, but that the human brain's underlying structure is resilient enough, at least during early development, that such disabilities often -- though not always -- can be accompanied by outstanding abilities as well.)

carlos55 wrote:
Obviously grown adults should be free to choose their own bodies and path in life, but for those with more manageable milder symptoms to dictate to the medical community and others, that there should be "no cure" developed for any including severe autism like those in ND claim is just unethical and selfish.

So called "severe autism" is often autism accompanied by other, distinct though related neurological disabilities such as an inability to talk and an inability to control one's body. In most cases these other disabilities are far more "severe" than their autism per se. Hence these other disabilities are what should be focused on, primarily, in terms of the development of medical treatments.

carlos55 wrote:
There is only one reason ND are against a cure and its because they want to create an "identity" out of it

You have this backwards. The reason why autism becomes an "identity" for many of us is because we know that autism involves our entire brains, and because we therefore believe that attempts at a total "cure" are likely to do us more harm than good.

carlos55 wrote:
for what they in their misguided belief will bring them benefits (it wont), to the detriment of those who are unable to voice their opinion because they are to disabled by their autism.

They are even more disabled by their inability to speak, which is why it would make sense to focus more medical research attention on the latter than on "core symptoms of autism." Given all the billions of dollars that have been thrown at autism research, both by governments and by private foundations, there has been shockingly little research on why nonspeaking autistic people can't speak.

carlos55 wrote:
The benefits and acceptance that ND believe would happen with an "identity" simply wont,

Bringing them about will require more than an "identity," it will require organization, as I have said many times.

But they are certainly possible. I have seen much greater accomplishments, against much greater odds, by various social movements within my lifetime. At least, for example, we don't have entire major religions condemning us as autistic people.

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 1:19 pm

First and foremost, can we answer the question of what we mean by "Autistic?" As carlos and Mona were discussing, there's no way to draw the line in the sand here...sometimes I tell people I have ASD, but even then I don't know exactly what I am telling them or what they are hearing.

When does one become "neurodivergent"? For example, is someone who's slightly nerdy and shy and invested in stuff they like "high functioning autistic?" Could they self-diagnose themselves as such and join the "neurodiversity movement?" Or are they just nerdy NTs? I mean, NTs aren't all alike, and they can have differences in tastes, behavior, and socializing between themselves that cause tension. So when does one become
"neurodiverse?"

When we discuss "oppression of Autistic people" or lack thereof we aren't always discussing the same thing because Autism isn't exactly one thing. Someone who is denied a job because the boss heard they had autism (even if it makes no difference) and is arbitrarily stigmatized for echolalia and stimming might see themselves as oppressed by higher society and want acceptance. Someone who is nonverbal, engages in compulsive self-injury, and can't finish secondary education may want medical treatment more than "social justice". I mean John Elder Robison wrote about this a little while back. I agree with the article for the most part, but I still feel weird discussing "autistic people" like we are all one group. And because I don't know where you draw the line between "Autistic" and "shy nerd" for example, on the milder end of the spectrum.

The label of "Autism" (vs Asperger's, vs PDD-NOS, vs what have you) has been subject to change and controversy, and there's a problem with lack of consistency in diagnostic practice and criteria that means that it's hard to know what someone means when they say "I have Autism". In 50 years we may even be using different labels. If so, what will happen to this burgeoning "Autism Activism"? It sometimes seems that we are still trying to figure out who we are. We are jumping the gun when we start using terms like "Autistic oppression" or "Autistic culture"...because we haven't even pinned down what we mean by Autistic.

I mean, I think some level of "gatekeeping" of the label is necessary. We should get our ducks in a row by figuring out what we are discussing when we are discussing Autism.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 4:54 pm

Whale_Tuune wrote:
The label of "Autism" (vs Asperger's, vs PDD-NOS, vs what have you) has been subject to change and controversy, and there's a problem with lack of consistency in diagnostic practice and criteria that means that it's hard to know what someone means when they say "I have Autism". In 50 years we may even be using different labels. If so, what will happen to this burgeoning "Autism Activism"?

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. For now, there's a whole bunch of concrete issues we need to deal with, that probably won't all be solved in the next 50 years, although hopefully we will have made substantial progress.

I think it's more important to focus on the concrete issues than on labels. Semantic gerrymandering/gatekeeping won't make the concrete issues go away.

Whale_Tuune wrote:
I mean, I think some level of "gatekeeping" of the label is necessary. We should get our ducks in a row by figuring out what we are discussing when we are discussing Autism.

Based on my knowledge of the history of other civil rights movements including the LGBT rights movement, fussiness about labels is not productive, although it's important to recognize that different issues will be important to different subgroups and related groups.

In the case of autism, the most important subdivision is between those who are work-capable (at least with sufficient accommodations) and those who are not. Those who are work-capable need autistic-friendly workplaces and autistic-friendly hiring practices. Those who are not work-capable need to be cared for, in the least restrictive possible environment given the specifics of their condition, and they need to be protected from abuse. Within both these categories, a large subset also need sensory accommodations of one kind or another. Another big set of issues involves the treatment of autistic children, about which decisions have all too often been made by NT therapists, educators, and bureaucrats without input from autistic adults as to what is and is not likely to work well.

That last issue is part of a larger issue of the failures of the professional establishment to listen to autistic people. (See Why autism research needs more input from autistic people by Elle Loughran, Spectrum News, 11 February 2020. See also the thread Professional clinicians vs. lived ASD experience.)

People who need sensory accommodations also include quite a few people who don't fit any definition of "autism," but whom we nevertheless can think of as "neurodivergent" because of their sensory issues. Such people are estimated to be between 15 and 20 percent of the population. If that entire group were ever to organize, the whole world would become a lot different. There is now a budding organized subculture of "Highly Sensitive People" (see web pages here and here and here and here and here), though it is still very small as far as I can tell, and the natural alliance between autistic and HSP activists/leaders has not yet formed.

Regarding what you call "nerdy NTs," the key question is whether they are sufficiently "nerdy" to hamper their ability to get and/or keep a job in today's employment culture, even in fields that should belong to "nerds" (e.g. computer programming). If so, then they too could greatly benefit from the kinds of reforms to workplace culture and hiring practices that work-capable autistic people need. In that case, even if they don't fit the official definition of ASD for whatever reason, they could be considered "neurodivergent" in terms of the particular set of issues known colloquially as "nerdiness" or "geekiness".

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 8:00 am

mona wrote:
No, we're pushing for more autistic-friendly workplaces -- which already do exist here in this universe; we just need a lot more of them.

Nothing wrong with that on its own but what about the 84% unemployed, mostly those who can’t work because their brains can’t function enough because of their autism? Does ND have an answer for them? apart from be happy with their new identity. Then spending the rest of their shortened lives in care of parents / miserable abusive care homes, or if they are fortunate to be able to live on their own a life of extreme poverty in bad housing by being on welfare.

https://www.autism.org.uk/about/what-is ... stats.aspx

mona wrote:
Humans are capable of changing human society. I've witnessed drastic social changes within my lifetime -- including, for example, advances in disability rights. There was a time, not too many decades ago, when the idea of wheelchair accessibility wasn't on anyone's radar. An even more drastic social change, which faced much greater public resistance, was the advent of gay rights including same-sex marriage

All these were simple changes for disabilities, which were designed for the loss of a single body function or one or more of the 5 senses, wheelchair access for example just involved incorporation into modern buildings which was very straight forward for architects. Gay rights just largely involved overcoming the old religious prejudice, which was easy with church attendance’s going down, and society becoming more secular. In other words, it was very cheap & easy and didn’t involve much effort for gov and western society in general as was seen by SS Marriage rapid implementation across Europe & N America.
Autism has massive financial & human resource requirements because it prevents many leading an independent life, for which there are few realistic solutions outside of a future medical breakthrough.

mona wrote:
Are you claiming that most NT's like the open office and wouldn't want to get rid of it? That's actually not true at all. See articles here and here and here and here and here.

Open office (that I don’t like) that effects some of the 14% in employment like me is probably the least of our concerns, but its here to stay because management like it regardless of business efficiency findings. Many NT`s many not like it but that doesn’t mean they want to work in silent cubicles all day either. Most offices & will be a thing of the past in a generation or so anyway as those admin processes are replaced by AI systems, but I won’t be side-tracked by going into that.

mona wrote:
The point is not that there is a "pure autism." The point is that it would be both simpler and safer to treat a few of a person's specific issues that cause the person the most suffering than it would be to try to "cure" the person totally by rearranging the person's entire brain. Furthermore, the specific issues that both (a) cause the most suffering and (b) are most likely to lend themselves to safe and effective medical treatment, are, in the vast majority of cases, NOT the "core symptoms of autism.

The specific issues that cause the suffering are caused by the genetic / biological defects that is autism. The social problems for example are a symptom of this not the other way around. There is no evidence that future treatments would involve “rearranging the person`s entire brain” either which is a common unqualified red herring insinuation by ND when the idea of treatments come up.

mona wrote:
What I understand this video to be saying is that autism is an arbitrarily defined subset of what the speaker calls "neurodevelopmental disorders," in general, and what I would just call freaky brains. There is an infinite variety of different ways that a human brain could possibly be freaky, and the symptoms thereof often overlap. (I would add that most brain freakiness is disabling in various ways, but that the human brain's underlying structure is resilient enough, at least during early development, that such disabilities often -- though not always -- can be accompanied by outstanding abilities as well.)

Basically, implies there is no pure benevolent autism and that some autism`s which they called ASD3 (severe autism) involve brain structural abnormalities. In other words, no separation of causes from Severe autism and HFA as ND advocates frequently state in their defence of autism when ID is mentioned. It’s a spectrum of severity Not autism + ID. The word “Freaky brain” is a nice way of saying catastrophic life outcome, a bit like how “different” or “neuro divergent” is sometimes politely used to disguise the horror of the situation for the individual.

mona wrote:
So called "severe autism" is often autism accompanied by other, distinct though related neurological disabilities such as an inability to talk and an inability to control one's body. In most cases these other disabilities are far more "severe" than their autism per se. Hence these other disabilities are what should be focused on, primarily, in terms of the development of medical treatments

Its all the same see prev comment and that’s beside the point anyway, since they would be against curing someone with severe autism even if there was a magic pill because of ideological reasons.

mona wrote:
You have this backwards. The reason why autism becomes an "identity" for many of us is because we know that autism involves our entire brains, and because we therefore believe that attempts at a total "cure" are likely to do us more harm than good

That feeling is in my opinion an illusion caused by your brain, some of us with autism can see outside the ASD bubble that including some of the more well-known autistic anti ND commentators’ others sadly cannot, but it’s still an illusion.

mona wrote:
They are even more disabled by their inability to speak, which is why it would make sense to focus more medical research attention on the latter than on "core symptoms of autism." Given all the billions of dollars that have been thrown at autism research, both by governments and by private foundations, there has been shockingly little research on why nonspeaking autistic people can't speak.

They cannot speak because of one of the core features of autism for genetic reasons, depending on severity can also cause delays. Also, there is a link between age of speaking and functioning (see link)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4386060/

mona wrote:
Bringing them about will require more than an "identity," it will require organization, as I have said many times.

But they are certainly possible. I have seen much greater accomplishments, against much greater odds, by various social movements within my lifetime. At least, for example, we don't have entire major religions condemning us as autistic people.

Autistic people would just go from human with a medical condition to genetic underclass to be ignored and segregated. The 99% NT`s don’t want to be autistic as it’s a disability, many of the 1% want to be NT so its not an even identity, it’s a human underclass.
ND are inadvertently trying to create, a genetic underclass of medical de-humanisation where history has tragic examples of what happens when you officially de-humanise people on an official level

- George Bernie Shaw

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 8:15 am

There is a new article on neurodiversity written by J.E Robison in psychology today that I read on facebook this morning,sorry I don't have a link but I'm sure the article is not hard to find if your looking for it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 8:35 am

vermontsavant wrote:
There is a new article on neurodiversity written by J.E Robison in psychology today that I read on facebook this morning,sorry I don't have a link but I'm sure the article is not hard to find if your looking for it.

The Limits of Neurodiversity
Quote:
Neurological diversity is a biological fact. Neurological function varies between individuals just like other human traits. The difference is that neurological diversity has gone unrecognized until recently, while physical diversity has always been plain to see.

Human diversity emerges as a result of genetics and environment. There is a large heritable component to some neurotypes, just as body shape tends to run in families. But it’s not all genetics. Environmental factors also influence human development. Diversity is also driven by evolution as many traits confer situational advantages, but it’s always a balance as “too much” or “too little” shades from difference into disability.

The continuum of neurological function includes people with many different cognitive traits. Memory, emotional sensitivity, ability to focus on a task, mathematical ability . . . all those things vary, as does general intelligence. Emotional intelligence has long been recognized and we are now seeing that it is on a continuum with logical intelligence at the other end. In other words, some people are governed by emotions while others, in the manner of Star Trek’s Spock, are logical.

During the twentieth century, psychiatrists gave diagnostic labels to cognitive traits that had been observed for a long time, but not pathologized with a diagnostic label. Happy or sad were long-recognized states of mind; psychiatrists recognized extremes of these behaviors with terms like manic or depressed, and they created formal labels like “major depressive disorder.”

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) became the medical term for something parents called “bouncing off the walls.” Being withdrawn into oneself, having a limited range of interests, and having an impaired ability to connect with and engage others became autism, or autism spectrum disorder. The extreme logical thinker may exhibit traits of autism while the extremely emotional person can manifest traits of schizophrenia.

For several decades following their introduction, terms like ADHD or autism were only used to describe people with severe, profound impairments. Those labels were bestowed on children whose behavior was far different from that exemplified by most kids. Since differences existed on a continuum it was up to the trained professional to determine when simple difference became pathology.

Whatever one calls it, the range of neurological function, encompassing both typical and abnormal behavior, observed across a number of domains, describes human neurological diversity. That is neurodiversity, but neurodiversity is also more. Neurodiversity has become an identity: When individuals who had received psychiatric diagnoses wanted to identify themselves in non-medical terms, they felt they were “more than a diagnosis,” and believed medical labels pathologized them or carried stigma. Soon the word neurodiversity was adopted by others who lacked a formal diagnosis but still felt “different.” For them, the term was not assertion of a medical condition, or an attempt to claim disability supports, but rather a way to center themselves in the world.

In the neurodiversity worldview, people whose neurology is “average” are called neurotypical. People whose neurology differs from average; i.e., having traits of autism, dyslexia, or ADHD, are neurodivergent. Neurodiversity is the term for the continuum, and the population may be called neurodiverse. While that seems straightforward, it implies “one way or the other” that does not exist in real life. Psychologists agree there is no such thing as “typical”: We are all individuals.

Therefore, thought leaders now question the use of the terms neurodivergent and neurotypical. They argue that neurotypicality is an invalid concept since there are no people who have been tested and found to be “midrange” in all cognitive dimensions. Instead, each of us has a mix of strengths and weaknesses, and since we are not generally tested, our abilities are only guessed at. Therefore, neurotypical is merely a rough approximation even as the population is undeniably neurodiverse. No one word defines us; individuals are best described by their specific traits or even by support needs.

Neurodiversity is therefore a biological fact and also a term of identity. When someone identifies as having autistic traits in the context of neurodiversity, they are not generally seeking medical supports or disability accommodation, although they may also seek those things through formal diagnosis. Rather, they seek a sense of community by identifying with what they believe is a like-minded group.

Self-diagnosis of autism or ADHD is controversial but anyone is free to embrace the neurodiversity paradigm and say they are “different” because they are not assuming a formal medical label.

In terms of identity, most who identify with the neurodiversity paradigm see themselves as different, not disordered. They may also feel disabled, or disabled and exceptional. They generally perceive their neurological diversity as part of healthy human diversity. However, not all people feel this way about neurodiversity. Some feel so disabled, or suffer to such an extent, that they reject the neurodiversity paradigm for themselves. They describe themselves as sick, damaged, or injured.

That difference in views may be expressed thusly: At its extremes, difference becomes disability. While the point of transition varies from one person to another, there is always a point at which healthy difference becomes pathology or disorder.

think they are more disabled. In most cases disability is in the eye of the beholder: Studies have shown that most people judge themselves to be less disabled, even as observers. An exception would be in the world of work, where a person might not think of themselves as disabled, but might not be able to complete certain tasks on time or at all.

Neurodiversity as a biological fact applies to everyone. Neurodiversity as a term of identity applies to many people, but a significant number who feel disabled reject the neurodiversity paradigm. That is one limit of neurodiversity.

Schools and workplaces are fast developing neurodiversity programs, with a view to accommodating a wider range of people in schools and in jobs. That is a laudable goal, and an array of supports will no doubt allow people who have been excluded from work or school in recent years to participate. Neurodiversity programs with intensive supports and a social welfare model – like Project Search – will help a number of people too disabled for other programs.

Beyond that, there remains a portion of the population whose cognitive differences limit engagement in school and preclude transition to work. They may not be able to communicate effectively, or they may have significant cognitive impairments. They may have medical complications like epilepsy that compromise their quality of life. Critics of neurodiversity express the fear that broad adoption of the neurodiversity paradigm renders such people invisible.

In this writer’s view, that need not happen. Programs to support less disabled people should not come at the expense of programs for the more disabled. Disability support is not a zero-sum game. Neurodiversity – whether as neurological fact or social identity – should not be perceived as denial of profound cognitive disability in its many forms. Neurodiversity is a way for people to identify themselves, but some people are so disabled they cannot do that, and they cannot rightly be called anything but seriously disabled.

Bolding, Italics, and underling=mine

Also as noted above stay away from twitter arguments, stick with wrong planet particularly this section.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 9:15 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

The Limits of Neurodiversity
Quote:
Neurological diversity is a biological fact. Neurological function varies between individuals just like other human traits. The difference is that neurological diversity has gone unrecognized until recently, while physical diversity has always been plain to see.

Human diversity emerges as a result of genetics and environment. There is a large heritable component to some neurotypes, just as body shape tends to run in families. But it’s not all genetics. Environmental factors also influence human development. Diversity is also driven by evolution as many traits confer situational advantages, but it’s always a balance as “too much” or “too little” shades from difference into disability.

The continuum of neurological function includes people with many different cognitive traits. Memory, emotional sensitivity, ability to focus on a task, mathematical ability . . . all those things vary, as does general intelligence. Emotional intelligence has long been recognized and we are now seeing that it is on a continuum with logical intelligence at the other end. In other words, some people are governed by emotions while others, in the manner of Star Trek’s Spock, are logical.

During the twentieth century, psychiatrists gave diagnostic labels to cognitive traits that had been observed for a long time, but not pathologized with a diagnostic label. Happy or sad were long-recognized states of mind; psychiatrists recognized extremes of these behaviors with terms like manic or depressed, and they created formal labels like “major depressive disorder.”

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) became the medical term for something parents called “bouncing off the walls.” Being withdrawn into oneself, having a limited range of interests, and having an impaired ability to connect with and engage others became autism, or autism spectrum disorder. The extreme logical thinker may exhibit traits of autism while the extremely emotional person can manifest traits of schizophrenia.

For several decades following their introduction, terms like ADHD or autism were only used to describe people with severe, profound impairments. Those labels were bestowed on children whose behavior was far different from that exemplified by most kids. Since differences existed on a continuum it was up to the trained professional to determine when simple difference became pathology.

Whatever one calls it, the range of neurological function, encompassing both typical and abnormal behavior, observed across a number of domains, describes human neurological diversity. That is neurodiversity, but neurodiversity is also more. Neurodiversity has become an identity: When individuals who had received psychiatric diagnoses wanted to identify themselves in non-medical terms, they felt they were “more than a diagnosis,” and believed medical labels pathologized them or carried stigma. Soon the word neurodiversity was adopted by others who lacked a formal diagnosis but still felt “different.” For them, the term was not assertion of a medical condition, or an attempt to claim disability supports, but rather a way to center themselves in the world.

In the neurodiversity worldview, people whose neurology is “average” are called neurotypical. People whose neurology differs from average; i.e., having traits of autism, dyslexia, or ADHD, are neurodivergent. Neurodiversity is the term for the continuum, and the population may be called neurodiverse. While that seems straightforward, it implies “one way or the other” that does not exist in real life. Psychologists agree there is no such thing as “typical”: We are all individuals.

Therefore, thought leaders now question the use of the terms neurodivergent and neurotypical. They argue that neurotypicality is an invalid concept since there are no people who have been tested and found to be “midrange” in all cognitive dimensions. Instead, each of us has a mix of strengths and weaknesses, and since we are not generally tested, our abilities are only guessed at. Therefore, neurotypical is merely a rough approximation even as the population is undeniably neurodiverse. No one word defines us; individuals are best described by their specific traits or even by support needs.

Neurodiversity is therefore a biological fact and also a term of identity. When someone identifies as having autistic traits in the context of neurodiversity, they are not generally seeking medical supports or disability accommodation, although they may also seek those things through formal diagnosis. Rather, they seek a sense of community by identifying with what they believe is a like-minded group.

Self-diagnosis of autism or ADHD is controversial but anyone is free to embrace the neurodiversity paradigm and say they are “different” because they are not assuming a formal medical label.

In terms of identity, most who identify with the neurodiversity paradigm see themselves as different, not disordered. They may also feel disabled, or disabled and exceptional. They generally perceive their neurological diversity as part of healthy human diversity. However, not all people feel this way about neurodiversity. Some feel so disabled, or suffer to such an extent, that they reject the neurodiversity paradigm for themselves. They describe themselves as sick, damaged, or injured.

That difference in views may be expressed thusly: At its extremes, difference becomes disability. While the point of transition varies from one person to another, there is always a point at which healthy difference becomes pathology or disorder.

think they are more disabled. In most cases disability is in the eye of the beholder: Studies have shown that most people judge themselves to be less disabled, even as observers. An exception would be in the world of work, where a person might not think of themselves as disabled, but might not be able to complete certain tasks on time or at all.

Neurodiversity as a biological fact applies to everyone. Neurodiversity as a term of identity applies to many people, but a significant number who feel disabled reject the neurodiversity paradigm. That is one limit of neurodiversity.

Schools and workplaces are fast developing neurodiversity programs, with a view to accommodating a wider range of people in schools and in jobs. That is a laudable goal, and an array of supports will no doubt allow people who have been excluded from work or school in recent years to participate. Neurodiversity programs with intensive supports and a social welfare model – like Project Search – will help a number of people too disabled for other programs.

Beyond that, there remains a portion of the population whose cognitive differences limit engagement in school and preclude transition to work. They may not be able to communicate effectively, or they may have significant cognitive impairments. They may have medical complications like epilepsy that compromise their quality of life. Critics of neurodiversity express the fear that broad adoption of the neurodiversity paradigm renders such people invisible.

In this writer’s view, that need not happen. Programs to support less disabled people should not come at the expense of programs for the more disabled. Disability support is not a zero-sum game. Neurodiversity – whether as neurological fact or social identity – should not be perceived as denial of profound cognitive disability in its many forms. Neurodiversity is a way for people to identify themselves, but some people are so disabled they cannot do that, and they cannot rightly be called anything but seriously disabled.

Bolding, Italics, and underling=mine

Also as noted above stay away from twitter arguments, stick with wrong planet particularly this section.
That is indeed the article I was talking about,good work aspartofme

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 4:53 am

carlos55 wrote:
mona wrote:
The reason why autism becomes an "identity" for many of us is because we know that autism involves our entire brains, and because we therefore believe that attempts at a total "cure" are likely to do us more harm than good

That feeling is in my opinion an illusion caused by your brain

How exactly is that an "illusion"? Are you denying that autism involves our entire brains? (You yourself wrote here that autism is a "whole body disorder"; are you now saying it involves our whole bodies but not our whole brains?)

carlos55 wrote:
There is no evidence that future treatments would involve “rearranging the person`s entire brain” either which is a common unqualified red herring insinuation by ND when the idea of treatments come up.

This is not a "red herring." It is the central essence of what a total "cure" would necessarily mean for a condition that involves the structure of the entire brain from its earliest development.

Indeed it's unlikely that any reasonably safe and effective "treatment" would actually do that. But what that means is that any reasonably safe and effective "treatment" could NOT possibly be anything anywhere near a total "cure."

I'm not against treatments. I'm against the goal of a total (intrinsically radical) "cure." I'm in favor of the goal of maximum relief of suffering while staying within the limits of "First do no harm."

carlos55 wrote:
mona wrote:
The point is not that there is a "pure autism." The point is that it would be both simpler and safer to treat a few of a person's specific issues that cause the person the most suffering than it would be to try to "cure" the person totally by rearranging the person's entire brain. Furthermore, the specific issues that both (a) cause the most suffering and (b) are most likely to lend themselves to safe and effective medical treatment, are, in the vast majority of cases, NOT the "core symptoms of autism.

The specific issues that cause the suffering are caused by the genetic / biological defects that is autism.

Or, more likely, some subset of those "defects." There's no good reason to think of them as a single indivisible essence in terms of treatment or research.

carlos55 wrote:
They cannot speak because of one of the core features of autism for genetic reasons, depending on severity can also cause delays. Also, there is a link between age of speaking and functioning (see link)

While there is indeed a general statistical correlation between age of speaking and overall disability, that link is far from absolute.

There are plenty of people who began talking very late but who ended up very "high functioning." I personally didn't start talking until I was about 4 years old, but I ended up doing very well academically. Jim Sinclair, the founder of Autism Network International, didn't start talking until age 12.

Also there are plenty of autistic people who are unable to talk due to motor issues but have managed to learn to write/type -- and some of these people are quite intelligent. A well-known example is Ido Kedar. Alas, the autism research establishment is only very belatedly starting to pay attention to these people.

Also, while it's likely that many nonverbal autistic people are indeed intellectually disabled, it's also likely that the intelligence of many other nonverbal autistic people has been greatly underestimated. See this Spectrum News article.

carlos55 wrote:
Basically, implies there is no pure benevolent autism and that some autism`s which they called ASD3 (severe autism) involve brain structural abnormalities. In other words, no separation of causes from Severe autism and HFA as ND advocates frequently state in their defence of autism when ID is mentioned. It’s a spectrum of severity Not autism + ID.

Autism and ID are distinct sets of issues, even if they often go together. (See the diagnostic criteria.) Both autism and ID have many different possible causes. Neither autism nor ID has a single central essence, nor a single central cause.

"Severe autism" can mean many different things, each of which deserves lots of research in its own right, in my opinion. "Autism" does not exist on a single linear scale; it is an umbrella term for many different conditions, some of which are severely disabling, others less so.

The most severely disabling conditions should get the highest priority in terms of treatment-oriented research, it seems to me. But, for the most part, that's not what's happening.

Also, autism researchers should listen more to those severely disabled autistic people who have managed to learn to communicate (e.g. by typing, if they are unable to talk). Autism researchers should also listen more to autistic people in general, as well. (See Why autism research needs more input from autistic people.)

carlos55 wrote:
Autistic people would just go from human with a medical condition to genetic underclass to be ignored and segregated.

There's always a danger of that happening, but the best way to prevent that from happening is for both us ourselves and our NT parents and relatives to be organized to protect our rights, in alliance with the larger disability rights movement.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 6:15 am

mona wrote:
How exactly is that an "illusion"? Are you denying that autism involves our entire brains? (You yourself wrote here that autism is a "whole body disorder"; are you now saying it involves our whole bodies but not our whole brains?)

The brain has many ways of deceiving itself whether healthy NT or autistic, even being drunk or on pharma / illegal drugs can alter one`s sense of reality.

I spoke to two NT family members about ND a few weeks ago, they said ND was just a delusionary coping mechanism for a bad situation.

They said I should not be stressed about it as it’s likely the NT decision makers in government or science will reject the bad aspects that simply go beyond general disability rights as its complete nonsense and at its core is against a cure for serious mental disability in kids, which will never be accepted by society.

I’m agreeing with them.

I suppose this video typifies the NT view of ND when they hear or bother to read the full crazy ideology not just the catchy diversity title. The YouTube comments reveal common NT attitudes too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKmDdrTcsVs

This was also discussed here:

viewtopic.php?t=384619

mona wrote:
This is not a "red herring." It is the central essence of what a total "cure" would necessarily mean for a condition that involves the structure of the entire brain from its earliest development.

Again there is no scientific evidence of treatment “re-arranging the entire brain”, but its beside the point because even if there was a magic pill they would be against other people taking it, they basically want to control what other people can do for their own interests which will never be accepted.

It’s a bit like saying a trans person can’t have a sex change because it goes against their identity, a position that is already rejected.

People can watch the video and make up their own minds, about what`s said but there will be genetic treatments for autism in the not too distant future.

mona wrote:
I'm not against treatments. I'm against the goal of a total (intrinsically radical) "cure." I'm in favor of the goal of maximum relief of suffering while staying within the limits of "First do no harm."

You may be for "treatments" but ND are not. Listen to the video ND statement read word for word, nothing about accepting treatments in it. It states autism should be treated like left handedness in other words not to be interfered with. Doesn't strike me as treatment friendly to me, I would not trust the development of future treatments to people like this.

mona wrote:
Autism and ID are distinct sets of issues, even if they often go together. (See the diagnostic criteria.) Both autism and ID have many different possible causes. Neither autism nor ID has a single central essence, nor a single central cause.

"Severe autism" can mean many different things, each of which deserves lots of research in its own right, in my opinion. "Autism" does not exist on a single linear scale; it is an umbrella term for many different conditions, some of which are severely disabling, others less so.

The most severely disabling conditions should get the highest priority in terms of treatment-oriented research, it seems to me. But, for the most part, that's not what's happening.

Also, autism researchers should listen more to those severely disabled autistic people who have managed to learn to communicate (e.g. by typing, if they are unable to talk). Autism researchers should also listen more to autistic people in general, as well. (See Why autism research needs more input from autistic people.)

Its good that severely autistic people learn to communicate in some way but I doubt that anyone dreams of talking like a robot, which is why its not to be regarded as a fixed solution, people want to talk naturally with their own voice which is why research should not be restricted in anyway.

mona wrote:
There's always a danger of that happening, but the best way to prevent that from happening is for both us ourselves and our NT parents and relatives to be organized to protect our rights, in alliance with the larger disability rights movement

It will happen either officially or in 99% of people`s minds anyway in the same way the word “autistic” is replacing the “R word”, if you replace medical disorder with a different class of human which is (undesired by 99% of the pop) you create an underclass, in this case a genetic one, where people are written off at a young age and have opportunities removed.

What girl is going to want to be with someone from a genetic underclass?

How will teachers treat these kids, probably put in a separate classroom to receive a substandard education maybe.?

What will gov do with this costly 1% underclass, start sterilising us maybe? all happened before

- George Bernie Shaw