Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2020, 2:06 pm

The Decline of Stigma, and How Autism Led the Way

Roy Richard Grinker, Ph.D., is Professor of Anthropology and International Affairs at the George Washington University in Washington, D.C. Grinker was born and raised in Chicago where his great-grandfather, grandfather, and father worked as psychoanalysts. He graduated from Grinnell College in 1983 and received his Ph.D. in Social Anthropology at Harvard University in 1989.

He is the author of the forthcoming book Nobody’s Normal: How Culture Created the Stigma of Mental Illness (NY: W.W. Norton, January 2021), Unstrange Minds: Remapping the World of Autism (NY: Basic Books)

Grinker was a 2008 recipient of the National Alliance on Mental Illness KEN award for “outstanding contribution to the understanding of mental illness” and the 2010 recipient of the American Anthropological Association’s Anthropology in the Media award for “communication of anthropology to the general public through the media.

Quote:
In one of my classes earlier this year, a student described how hard it had been for her to get treatment for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) when she was struggling in high school. Her father told her she wasn’t working hard enough. She begged to see a therapist but had to wait until she went to college to act on her own. With no hint of shame, she told the class: “Getting diagnosed with ADHD was one of the best days of my freshman year because someone actually saw that I wasn’t stupid or lazy, that I just needed treatment.”

Another student in the class, an advocate for neurodiversity, the movement that argues cognitive differences are a natural and positive part of human variation, wore a T-shirt that read “I hate normal people.”

Students and colleagues occasionally accuse me of being overly optimistic, but I can’t help interpreting such comments as a sign that millennials are successfully challenging the stigma and silence that have for so long shadowed mental illnesses. Despite the fact that the majority of people with a mental illness in the United States still receive no mental health treatment, mental illnesses are fast becoming a more accepted and visible part of life. In fact, many of the people we most admire—celebrities like Lady Gaga and swimmer Michael Phelps, for example—speak publicly about their emotional struggles.

Why millennials? And why now?

I can’t pretend to have all the answers, but I’m confident about two of them. First, because most psychiatric conditions have their onset in adolescence or early adulthood younger people’s experiences with mental illness will reflect changing attitudes in their community or among mental health care professionals. They are on the front lines facing any new diagnostic ideas.

Second, the new diagnostic idea they meet is the recognition among advocates and scientists that mental illnesses are spectrums rather than discrete disorders, and that we all lie somewhere on a continuum of suffering. There is, embedded in the idea of a spectrum, the notion that mental illnesses are an integral part of the human condition.

Pioneering researchers like Lorna Wing, Judith Gould, and others first introduced the idea of an autism spectrum more than four decades ago, and in the last decade neurodiversity advocates have pushed forward, reframing autism as a spectrum that can account for enormous variation among people with a range of strengths (such as skill in the arts, mathematics, and computer technology) and challenges in social communication, from the very mild to the very severe. Scientists demonstrated that mild symptoms of autism are common in the general population and that family members of a person with autism often exhibit autistic traits. Yet only that one person may actually have the diagnosis, either because they need some sort of treatment or because the diagnosis drives an intervention like special education.

With autism, as with many medical conditions—like hypertension and obesity—the boundary lines are drawn more by culture than by nature. Dividing human differences into distinct illnesses (or even genders) is like dividing up the color spectrum into distinct colors. While most of us can easily tell the difference between yellow and orange, we probably can’t agree on exactly where yellow ends and orange begins because there is no single point at which one becomes the other. Similarly, the border between health and sickness is the judgment call we make about whether a person’s symptoms are impairing their lives and warrant treatment.

Yet for decades, during the time the DSM-III (1980–94) and DSM-IV (1994–2013) were in use, researchers and clinicians tended to talk about mental illnesses in categorical terms—one either had or did not have a particular mental illness. In the wake of social movements that promote nonconformity—like neurodiversity and the transgender rights movement —the DSM-5 has now (2013–present) added a dimensional scoring component. The manual still uses names and categories to conceptualize groups of symptoms, to justify treatments and accommodations in work or school, and to prevent insurance fraud. But the dimensional model encourages clinicians to pay more attention to describing the severity and dynamics of a patient’s various symptoms over time than assessing whether a patient meets every criterion for a specific disorder.

What’s more, the DSM-5 now classifies all the major diagnoses as spectrum disorders (e.g., the schizophrenia spectrum, bipolar spectrum, and obsessive-compulsive spectrum), as happened with autism more than a decade ago. “Like most common human ills,” the DSM-5 states, “mental disorders are heterogeneous at many levels, ranging from genetic risk factors to symptoms.” As one leading epidemiologist put it, “there is no evidence for the existence of true discrete mental illnesses that account for the patterns among symptoms in dimensional assessments.”

These days, I sometimes hear someone describe their attitudes towards cleanliness as “a little OCD.” I don’t think they are saying they actually meet the DSM criteria for obsessive-compulsive disorder. Nor do I think they are minimizing how severe the condition can be. But by putting themselves on the spectrum, they are rejecting the illusion of “normality.” The spectrum, a hallmark achievement in the history of mental health, is an invitation to join the rest of the world on a continuum. It asks us to say, along with neurodiversity advocates, that both normality and abnormality are fictional lands no one actually inhabits.

Recently, I reeled off some prevalence estimates for my students: for example, 8-9 percent of American children have ADHD; 8–10 percent of children have an anxiety disorder; 2.5 percent of adults have bipolar disorder; 11 percent of 18- to 25-year-olds have major depression.

A student asked in jest, “Isn’t anyone normal anymore?”

I answered “No. Nobody’s normal. Normal is just a concept we use to stigmatize certain kinds of differences.”

The class nodded in agreement. They already knew.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2020, 3:54 pm

The Walrus posted something interesting the other day regarding this topic & the future of ND:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=387431&start=30

The_Walrus wrote:
The issue is that some people with some conditions that you personally would like to be cured or eliminated think “my condition can be explained using the neurodiversity model”, while other people who have conditions that you think are valid parts of human neurodiversity wish that they were neurotypical. There are some autistic people who even say that if an autism cure effectively killed them (by causing them to instantly become a very different person) then they would still want the cure.

As I see it, you have four broad options:

1) strict neurosupremacy
2) accepting some but not all neurodiversity in a categorical fashion - for example, “autism” might be accepted but “borderline personality disorder” might be cured.
3) the autonomy position - let individuals decide for themselves whether they are happy with their neurotype and whether they would like to try to change it
4) strict naturalism i.e. no changes to neurotype are ever allowed (this could be combined with #1 in theory)

I think #1 is probably the default position of most Western societies but #2 is also quite a popular proposition. #4 is largely theoretical.

The big flaw with #2 is that it is impossible to determine “good” and “bad” neurotypes objectively. Indeed, central to the neurodiversity paradigm is that different neurotypes may be more beneficial in a mixture even if they are less biologically “fit” individually. You mention psychopaths - frankly it’s probably easier to make the positive case for psychopaths than for autism. We already see, very commonly, NTs saying “it’s alright that some autistics support neurodiversity, but other autistics should be cured”. Usually they’ll say “low functioning” or give invasive details of symptoms they want eradicated. Never mind that there is widespread support for the neurodiversity movement from across the autistic spectrum. There will always be someone prepared to declare you too low functioning and call for you to be cured.

I have depression and anxiety. I think they are negative influences on my life and would like them cured. But, while my experiences are pretty widespread, I know they are not universal. There are people who say, look, I’d like help dealing with some of my symptoms, but I am glad that I have this mental illness. I have heard the journalist Micha Frazer-Carroll express those thoughts quite tentatively, to give one example. Clearly some people holding those views was what caused this thread to be started in the first place.

So I think we should recognise that neurodiversity isn’t limited to 200 psychiatric diagnoses, or five diagnoses that are sufficiently socially acceptable, but to 7.6bn unique human brains. Everyone should have a right to individually determine whether their brain deserves to be accepted or seek changes to it. In some cases we’ll be able to use categories to propose policy solutions for e.g. autistic brains, but these should always bear in mind that every autistic brain is different and catch-all solutions won’t always work.

1 already exists its called NT & everything else is a disorder

2 With the exception of maybe Dyslexia & extreme hf Asperger’s its unlikely the others like schizophrenia & autism will be accepted as normal due to the societal burdens and harm to the individual. Autism itself is still very much tied to severe autism as much as advocates hate accepting it. Its still associated with special schools, 24/7 care institutions & life long welfare dependency with a shortened lifespan & a great deal of distress all round.

3 Is a futuristic model dependent on a cure probably the fairest

4 Is unlikely as apart from religion (will live in a secular society now) there is no reason why this should come about, if you can change sex safely why would neurotype be sacrosanct?

- George Bernie Shaw

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 12:39 am

I took two classes with Dr. Grinker (Introductory Cultural Anthropology and Psychological Anthropology) when I was an undergrad student at GWU a couple years ago. One of the kindest and most understanding professors I had the opportunity to learn from. I could be more open with him about being autistic than any other professor at the university, including those within my Geography major. It was in that first class that I took with him that I really began to feel more comfortable and confident in my Autistic skin, as I could talk to him about it without having to worry about any stupid comments like "You Don't Look Autistic" and negative preconceptions most NTs have about us. I cannot thank him enough for that. At one point I tried to create a student club for Neurodiverse students, and Dr. Grinker allowed me to use the the Antrhopology Department conference room as an initial meeting place. The group unfortunately never came to fruition due to it being nearly impossible to find and connect with other Autistics in an environment where there was no infrastructure in place to assist with such a search. My time as a student at GWU would have been much less fulfilling had our paths not crossed. My only criticism of him is that he is not as opposed to Autism Speaks as I feel he should be, possibly because they provided some of the funding for the research that led to the creation of Unstrange Minds. I wish he would consider writing a sort of sequel to UM that focused on the lived experiences of Autistic Adults, since UM primarily focused on children and adolescents. I feel like he is one of the few people who could actually a major positive change in the perception of Autistics by NTs, since his first book was so influential. Unfortunately when I asked him about this possibility a couple years ago he said it was unlikely.

#palestinianlivesmatter

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 7:34 am

To quote my favorite neuroscientist Manuel Casanova “by claiming autism is not a pain or a handicap to some do they change medicine? Do they erase the existence of seizures, mood disorders, impaired attention, learning difficulties or sensory abnormalities in a majority of autistic individuals.”

I can add executive functioning to that list and the easy short answer. Is NO.

- George Bernie Shaw