firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 10:30 am

White? tick
Male ? tick
Middle class upbringing? tick
Privately educated? tick

Those would automatically get me labelled as 'privileged' , regardless of the social drift that's occurred due to my having a serious/severe mental illness and being on the spectrum.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 10:44 am

Fnord wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
You can be qualified to speak on topics and still be wrong. Certainly, an appeal to authority does not actually mean the ideas the authority is stating are valid. Charles Murray and his ideas on race he articulated in his book The Bell Curve are very questionable, even though he is a well educated person. I am not sure that anyone here would support eugenics, an idea still being forwarded by very educated people.
Nice try.  Very nice.

You have established doubt against the credibility of a well-trained and intelligent expert without actually pointing out (and proving) where you think he is wrong.

Please try again.

Well, I do find it amusing that you are using an appeal to authority as the basis for you stating his ideas are correct. If your only defense of Peterson is his authority, then it is not for me to try again. Nice try.

However, as posted above, the idea that Marxism is the most destructive political/economic system devised does not really show much understanding of Marxism, the history of the Soviet Union and China (or dictatorial/fascist systems in general), or the destructive nature of other political/economic systems. Naturally, comparing Marxism to the two World Wars shows a great deal of irony as somehow it implies the wars were causeless and had no underlying political/economic drivers.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 10:48 am

vermontsavant wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
There has been a lot of talk lately of “White Guilt” or “White Privilege”.

The idea that white people are guilty by birth of black slavery and racism and that some sort of compensation should be provided, both financial and other things by white people to those who are black or even non white.

As someone who is neither WASP white or black I’m not going to give an opinion on this.

However watching this Jordan Peterson clip got me thinking about neurodiversity and it’s quest for a group identity.

Jordan basically says group identity can be dangerous as one can just as easily assign “group guilt” to people.

An example was Hitler assigning group guilt to the Jews blaming them for Germany’s problems in the 30’s.

So anyone Jewish whether a baby or elderly person was labeled guilty by their group for Germany’s problems, which led to the horrors of the holocaust.

I wonder if many advocates have themselves considered the potential danger of trying to create a “group identity”?

I wonder if “autistic guilt” for our burden on society will ever come about?

As a group would we take to the streets to defend ourselves?

Do most autistic people some of whom are societies most vulnerable able to put up a defense against this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tOHUwwP6LLs

I think white privilege theory is B.S
Black lives matter is B.S

And to be fair the politics of autism is also B.S

The Neurodiversity movement is B.S
Curebees are also B.S

It's all a bunch of B.S

That's just my two cents :|

RIGHT ON!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 10:57 am

Jiheisho wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
You can be qualified to speak on topics and still be wrong. Certainly, an appeal to authority does not actually mean the ideas the authority is stating are valid. Charles Murray and his ideas on race he articulated in his book The Bell Curve are very questionable, even though he is a well educated person. I am not sure that anyone here would support eugenics, an idea still being forwarded by very educated people.
Nice try.  Very nice.  You have established doubt against the credibility of a well-trained and intelligent expert without actually pointing out (and proving) where you think he is wrong.  Please try again.
Well, I do find it amusing that you are using an appeal to authority as the basis for you stating his ideas are correct...
WRONG!

Where did I say he was correct?  I only said he was "eminently qualified".

:lol:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 10:58 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
I think white privilege theory is B.S
Black lives matter is B.S

And to be fair the politics of autism is also B.S

The Neurodiversity movement is B.S
Curebees are also B.S

It's all a bunch of B.S

That's just my two cents :|

RIGHT ON!
Evidence, please?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 11:02 am

firemonkey wrote:
White? tick
Male ? tick
Middle class upbringing? tick
Privately educated? tick

Those would automatically get me labelled as 'privileged' , regardless of the social drift that's occurred due to my having a serious/severe mental illness and being on the spectrum.

And how much of that background gives you advantages? And yes, your mental illness is not an advantage. Just as if someone was abused as a child will give the risk for worse outcomes. Do you think you would have had better outcomes if you were black, female, poor, and no education? I can tell you, that is very unlikely (but not impossible).

I think the problem with the concept of "privilege" is that it implies so advantage that is easily identifiable, like being born into royalty. That is not really what it is staying. Rather, these socioeconomic factors tip the scales. It does not mean a particular individual will not have a difficult life, what it states is certain variables will help or hinder your chances.

And I think this is difficult. I don't think I have an easy life, but I also recognize that others have more of a head wind. I was luck to be able to afford an education. I was lucky that my socioeconomic background gave me experiences not afforded to others. My autism certainly has not helped--there was/is a head wind there. It is hard to extract your own experience from this conversation sometimes.

And this becomes interesting in terms of disability. Do you think your illness has had no impact on your life? Do you think we should make no accommodations to disabled people? Because if you don't believe personal factors change outcomes, then you believe in meritocracy--your outcomes are solely decided by your effort and talent. Because there is plenty of evidence that disability does in fact cause negative outcomes that have nothing directly related to the disability. I don't think I am ready to give up the ADA.

This is it in a nutshell: is the world a level playing field?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 11:15 am

^ Are you implying that white people should somehow share feelings of guilt for having been born white?

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 11:35 am

Fnord wrote:
^ Are you implying that white people should somehow share feelings of guilt for having been born white?

No.

(Sorry, but "white guilt" is not a logical construct and a kind of trope in some political circles: I am autistic and peer pressure as never been very effective with me. :wink: )

What we can do is recognize the imbalance in our system and try to make a more equitable world.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 11:47 am

Jiheisho wrote:
What we can do is recognize the imbalance in our system and try to make a more equitable world.
Sure, the system is imbalanced.  Yes, we should all try to make a more equitable world.

Let's start by getting thugs, drop-outs, junkies, and criminals to believe that education, knowledge, and understanding of STEM (or even HASS) courses are essential for the maintenance and growth of a civilized society.

It is impossible to produce a more equitable world when ignorant people are running wild and lawless in the streets.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 11:51 am

bee33 wrote:
I didn't say anything about official authorities, I only referred to people who have a platform (which would include someone with a significant social media following) or are well-known in the movement, etc.

Point taken. Leading or oft-quoted advocates would have been a better choice of words.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 11:58 am

Jiheisho wrote:
[Do you think you would have had better outcomes if you were black, female, poor, and no education? I can tell you, that is very unlikely (but not impossible).

For me the whole 'privilege' thing is akin to the medieval 'trial by ordeal' whereby the chances of avoiding a negative outcome (being accused of being privileged for example) are negligible at best.

Certain factors which are due to an accident of birth are given a greater weighting than others where the individual may not have been so fortunate. In essence quite a degree of cherry picking goes on .

Last edited by firemonkey on 29 Jul 2020, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 12:48 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
White privilege is easy to disprove. Take, for example, the economic, health, and educational outcomes of Americans and see if they are the same regardless of race. If they are, then white privilege is not a thing. Individual cases and anecdotes cannot disprove it. It really is whether there is a bias in the system.

If you want to do well in life in the US, being born white will give an edge. Just as gender and socioeconomic background (class) can tip the scales. This should not come as a surprise.
Yes, thank you! There is evidence that we can look to, we don't have to guess.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 12:52 pm

Pepe wrote:
Let us agree to disagree. 8)

Everyone can have their own opinions, but not their own facts. ;)

But the more important issue is the absolute horror that is racism in America. Fighting against racism is so important that I would not care if the people in BLM were all scumbags with whom I disagreed politically in every other way, I would still support BLM. (But in reality they are actually pretty great.)

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 12:58 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
[Do you think you would have had better outcomes if you were black, female, poor, and no education? I can tell you, that is very unlikely (but not impossible).

For me the whole 'privilege' thing is akin to the medieval 'trial by ordeal' whereby the chances of avoiding a negative outcome (being accused of being privileged for example) is negligible at best.

Certain factors which are due to an accident of birth are given a greater weighting than others where the individual may not have been so fortunate. In essence quite a degree of cherry picking goes on .

It is complex, especially when you try to relate it to personal experience. And you are right that these are weighted in probability. Working in the social sciences, if the model is good (and cherry picking has no benefit), then outcomes can be pretty accurately predicted, at least for populations. But you are also right in assuming that models don't test for every variable--disability is not included in most general studies, but it does not mean that study does not have important information. And models cannot predict an individual outcome, just probabilities based on a populations.

And I think that is the point about a level playing field. We want to attempt to give everyone an equal chance. If you have a 100 yard dash, but some are allowed to start at the 50 yard mark and some have concrete shoes, then that is not good. Sure, a really fast runner could still beat a slow runner starting at 50 yards, but I don't think anyone would think it equitable. But sometimes it is also good to put a thumb on a scale. That is the point of the ADA and its accommodations for disability.

But as far as policy goes, it is a complex problem. How do you balance the personal with the collective? That is a debate that is older than this one. Do you target systemic issues or individual ones. It is tough. Generally it is a combination of both. Denying one in favor of the other simply does not work: it is not an either/or problem.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 8:06 pm

carlos55 wrote:
KT67 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
KT67 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
KT67 wrote:
Neurotypical privilege exists.

Would any here argue that it doesn't exist?

Does pointing it out amount to imposing some sort of 'neurotypical guilt' on those who benefit from it? (of course not)

Why do so many posters here insist on pretending other forms of privilege don't exist because their life isn't pure success? Benefiting from privilege doesn't mean you won't also struggle, it just means you'll be spared some sources of struggle.

I agree - why are you pretending I don't?

I'm not suggesting you're one of the posters who disagrees with that, at least that wasn't my intent. I was just asking it because it's a common trope here.

Ah ok.
I think because a lot of WP is right wing & buys into people like Jordan Peterson. Or considers 'Marxist' a dirty word akin to stalinist.

In our current society, autistic guilt would be more like self hate for being Black.

White guilt is pretty useless though, it just makes everything about white fragility. I've read from Black people that they don't want this. Same as I don't want a neurotypical making prejudice against autistic people all about them and how 'bad they feel for me' etc.

Jordan Peterson describes himself as a liberal and says he’s often mistaken for right wing.

He’s an anti Marxist and correctly points out that Marxism has failed in every country that has tried it out and enslaved and killed more people than both world wars combined.

Of course marxists hate him as he is always calling them out

Marxism is the ideology of the firing squad and has nothing to do with liberal values despite sometimes using them as a vehicle for undermining and gain.

I like the way he uses metaphors and simple analogies sometimes based on the simplest old children’s tales to allow people to make sense of a complex world and make decisions to overcome personal insurmountable problems.

He has helped and guided many millions and is recognized the world over.

A lot of people don't understand the complexity of Jordan Peterson.
It is much easier to malign him than to try and see his point of view.

People can be rather simplistic when they simply swim in the shallows of mainstream philosophy.
Nature of the human beast not to put the effort into comprehensively investigating concepts.
C'est la vie ;)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 8:24 pm

bee33 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Let us agree to disagree. 8)

Everyone can have their own opinions, but not their own facts. ;)

But the more important issue is the absolute horror that is racism in America. Fighting against racism is so important that I would not care if the people in BLM were all scumbags with whom I disagreed politically in every other way, I would still support BLM. (But in reality they are actually pretty great.)

As you could tell by my previous reply to you, I wasn't interested in getting into a political cage fighting match.
However, I have had some caffeine and I a little more energised than usual.
Also, while you seem passionate, you also seem to be a reasonable person, hence my response here.

I'm in Australia.
I haven't been following the BLM in America to a profound degree.
My concerns are what is happening here in Oz.

I am outraged, and that very very rarely happens to me.

I am outraged by the Australian BLM.
I am outraged that the organisers of the Oz BLM are using the American tragedy to further their cause here.
I am outraged that they are corrupting the facts of what happens here in the Australian Corrective Services.
I am outraged at the stupidity of organising a protest in a pandemic.
I am outraged that they are putting vulnerable people's health and lives in danger.

I am disgusted to the point they have destroyed any goodwill I had for the Australia BLM movement. :eew:

You may crucify me at your leisure now. :mrgreen:
<Pepe lies down on the cross provided, waiting for his hands and feet to be nailed> 8O