Page 5 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 8:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
What we can do is recognize the imbalance in our system and try to make a more equitable world.
Sure, the system is imbalanced.  Yes, we should all try to make a more equitable world.

Let's start by getting thugs, drop-outs, junkies, and criminals to believe that education, knowledge, and understanding of STEM (or even HASS) courses are essential for the maintenance and growth of a civilized society.

It is impossible to produce a more equitable world when ignorant people are running wild and lawless in the streets.

Pigs arse! <oink> :pig:
I'm here to put my snout into the trough of selfish hedonism.
The world did me wrong, and I'm taking everything I can, and bugger anyone else. <snort> :pig:

Erm,
Did I say that aloud? :scratch: :mrgreen:

BTW:
Q: What do you give an adolescent pig?
A: Oink-ment. :mrgreen:

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 9:02 pm

Pepe wrote:
As you could tell by my previous reply to you, I wasn't interested in getting into a political cage fighting match.
However, I have had some caffeine and I a little more energised than usual.
Also, while you seem passionate, you also seem to be a reasonable person, hence my response here.

I'm in Australia.
I haven't been following the BLM in America to a profound degree.
My concerns are what is happening here in Oz.

I am outraged, and that very very rarely happens to me.

I am outraged by the Australian BLM.
I am outraged that the organisers of the Oz BLM are using the American tragedy to further their cause here.
I am outraged that they are corrupting the facts of what happens here in the Australian Corrective Services.
I am outraged at the stupidity of organising a protest in a pandemic.
I am outraged that they are putting vulnerable people's health and lives in danger.

I am disgusted to the point they have destroyed any goodwill I had for the Australia BLM movement. :eew:

You may crucify me at your leisure now. :mrgreen:
<Pepe lies down on the cross provided, waiting for his hands and feet to be nailed> 8O

I don't wish to crucify you! :) My knowledge of racism in Australia is limited to reading an article here and there, so I can't really speak on it, except that it seems fairly clear that racism exists in Australia. Which leads me to wonder why you would find it objectionable that the Oz BLM wish to "further their cause"? Is their cause not reducing racism and the unfair treatment of non-white people by police and the criminal justice system? I would think that would be a cause you would agree with, even if you don't agree with specific tactics or positions of the Oz BLM?

Also, in the US, where the BLM demonstrations attracted many thousands of people, this has not resulted in an increase in Covid cases. This is believed to be because demonstrators usually wore masks, and because the virus spreads more easily indoors than outdoors. In the US, people who are against BLM, who are mostly on the political right, are generally also against wearing masks and taking other precautions, so they are much more likely to be spreading the virus. It turns out that demonstrating during a pandemic has not been irresponsible.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 11:32 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
[
And I think that is the point about a level playing field. We want to attempt to give everyone an equal chance. If you have a 100 yard dash, but some are allowed to start at the 50 yard mark and some have concrete shoes, then that is not good. Sure, a really fast runner could still beat a slow runner starting at 50 yards, but I don't think anyone would think it equitable. But sometimes it is also good to put a thumb on a scale. That is the point of the ADA and its accommodations for disability.

I'm all for equality of opportunity. I think that everyone should be encouraged, and helped, to reach their full potential. The bright child from a poor background should not play second fiddle to an intellectually run of the mill child from a wealthy background. Your family background should not dictate how well you do in life.Nor should whether you're black or white;female or male etc .

However I strongly doubt telling people they're privileged , for what are accidents of birth, helps that process.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 11:51 pm

firemonkey wrote:
However I strongly doubt telling people they're privileged , for what are accidents of birth, helps that process.

I actually agree with you that many of the word choices and the preachy tone that have been adopted by the social justice movement have alienated people who are already on the same side, instead of bringing them into the movement.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 1:37 pm

bee33 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
As you could tell by my previous reply to you, I wasn't interested in getting into a political cage fighting match.
However, I have had some caffeine and I a little more energised than usual.
Also, while you seem passionate, you also seem to be a reasonable person, hence my response here.

I'm in Australia.
I haven't been following the BLM in America to a profound degree.
My concerns are what is happening here in Oz.

I am outraged, and that very very rarely happens to me.

I am outraged by the Australian BLM.
I am outraged that the organisers of the Oz BLM are using the American tragedy to further their cause here.
I am outraged that they are corrupting the facts of what happens here in the Australian Corrective Services.
I am outraged at the stupidity of organising a protest in a pandemic.
I am outraged that they are putting vulnerable people's health and lives in danger.

I am disgusted to the point they have destroyed any goodwill I had for the Australia BLM movement. :eew:

You may crucify me at your leisure now. :mrgreen:
<Pepe lies down on the cross provided, waiting for his hands and feet to be nailed> 8O

I don't wish to crucify you! :) My knowledge of racism in Australia is limited to reading an article here and there, so I can't really speak on it, except that it seems fairly clear that racism exists in Australia. Which leads me to wonder why you would find it objectionable that the Oz BLM wish to "further their cause"? Is their cause not reducing racism and the unfair treatment of non-white people by police and the criminal justice system? I would think that would be a cause you would agree with, even if you don't agree with specific tactics or positions of the Oz BLM?

Also, in the US, where the BLM demonstrations attracted many thousands of people, this has not resulted in an increase in Covid cases. This is believed to be because demonstrators usually wore masks, and because the virus spreads more easily indoors than outdoors. In the US, people who are against BLM, who are mostly on the political right, are generally also against wearing masks and taking other precautions, so they are much more likely to be spreading the virus. It turns out that demonstrating during a pandemic has not been irresponsible.

The hight court has banned the protest due to the pandemic concerns, and people were fined.
Game, set and match. ;)

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 10:35 pm

Pepe wrote:
The hight court has banned the protest due to the pandemic concerns, and people were fined.
Game, set and match. ;)

I'm not sure what that means.

The large BLM protests were long ago enough that it is now definitive that they did not cause a spike in Covid cases in the cities where they took place (this is both in the US and Australia).

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 9:04 pm

bee33 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Game, set and match. ;)

The large BLM protests were long ago enough that it is now definitive that they did not cause a spike in Covid cases in the cities where they took place (this is both in the US and Australia).

<sigh>
The belief is that the protestors were responsible for people not taking precautions seriously.
The mindset goes like this: Why should I stay at home, etc, if 10,000 protestors can, errr, protest.
Simples. ;)

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 10:44 pm

Pepe wrote:
bee33 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Game, set and match. ;)

<sigh>
The belief is that the protestors were responsible for people not taking precautions seriously.
The mindset goes like this: Why should I stay at home, etc, if 10,000 protestors can, errr, protest.
Simples. ;)
It may be that that belief exists in Australia. In the US it absolutely does not. The people in the US who are adamantly against mask-wearing and against taking precautions are on the political right and would never take their cues from BLM protesters. If anything they would go out of their way to do the exact opposite.

But you have not said if you are opposed to racism. That's the only issue that I think matters.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 5:15 am

bee33 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
bee33 wrote:
Pepe wrote:

But you have not said if you are opposed to racism. That's the only issue that I think matters.

:mrgreen:

I think you just want to talk with me.
Totally understandable. 8)
I am, after all, quite a remarkable person, errr, skunk. ;)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 2:32 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Neurotypical privilege as a concept is out there.

I think NTs don't think about it. I am aware of it now from WP reading all the struggles autistic people have finding a partner or getting a job.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 3:59 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I think NTs don't think about it. I am aware of it now from WP reading all the struggles autistic people have finding a partner or getting a job.

I think most NT's don't identify as NT and many do not know of the word and concept "neurotypical".

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 4:11 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I think most NT's don't identify as NT and many do not know of the word and concept "neurotypical".

Which loops back into my point, it doesn't enter our minds to start off with. I wasn't aware I was nuerotypical until I read WP forum threads. I have learned quite a lot here.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 7:41 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Which loops back into my point, it doesn't enter our minds to start off with. I wasn't aware I was nuerotypical until I read WP forum threads. I have learned quite a lot here.
Cyberdad,in almost every conversation I have seen in threads you participate, your knowledge is mind blowing,your memory seems encyclopedic.Your almost Rainmanesque in the knowledge you bring to threads,are you sure you are neurotypical?

If this offends you I apologize,just making an observation,no offense intended.

I remember a thread in particular when you talked about Bede and you were so profound,I though I knew a lot about Old English,but you put me in my place.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 8:18 am

Jordan Peterson is unwilling to accept anyone who's different from himself. I take everything that he says with a grain of salt.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 3:55 pm

There is no guilt here. When you actually listen to black people and those who are minority activists, none of them have ever said us white people should feel guilty for being white and that we should apologize for being white or apologize for the history. None of them have ever said we are responsible for the past. Only people I have seen making that claim are the right wing and it's funny when I see them arguing against something they had made up.

What they actually want is us to realize how our history affects them to this day.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 11:13 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Jordan Peterson is unwilling to accept anyone who's different from himself. I take everything that he says with a grain of salt.

I have seen no evidence of this.