Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 9:13 pm

Picture a recognized apolitical adult-centric self-advocacy non-profit organization that would be national or even international in scope. A support and awareness network. The support would be available at the local level in the form of spontaneous groups of autistic people. Autistics helping autistics. At the state, national and international level, the organization would serve as a means for greater awareness of adults with autism with the goal of working toward greater acceptance of autistic adults in the workplace and in communities in general.

ASAN doesn't fit the above model because it's hyper-partisan and is focused primarily as a PAC; nor is it "bottom up/top down" (ie ASAN doesn't foster or have a network of locally affiliated groups who gain from friendship with or help from members of each group).

If there was such an organization that promoted awareness and acceptance of autistics and primarily adult autistics and encouraged being a part of local groups that would share the common bond of the organization (think periodic regional meet ups, state, national, etc).....would you join such a group?

What types of things or specific issues would you want such an organization to focus on? What types of things do you envision such an organization doing that would benefit autistics at the local, state, national or even international level?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 11:34 pm

Oh boy that would be nice . Maybe actually help some people ... in earnest .
Sighes , if only ?

where ever you go ,there you are

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 7:28 am

Okay. Let's get Alex to add a geographical forum and see what happens. Bottom up is easier to start than top down.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 12:45 pm

Magneto wrote:
Okay. Let's get Alex to add a geographical forum and see what happens. Bottom up is easier to start than top down.

What do you mean by "geographical forum"?

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 1:18 pm

Magna wrote:
Magneto wrote:

What do you mean by "geographical forum"?

Geographical would seem to indicate a group of topics for people to talk about things local to them either by state or region.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 5:01 pm

So there'd be a forum for each country, say, and threads for the regions there. Or perhaps we just need a single forum for all of them, but I can imagine the number of threads would get unwieldy. Maybe have a stickied index, and an understanding of what the areas are named by (for example, in the UK we could go by borough/district, so mine would be Lancaster).

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 5:29 pm

Magneto wrote:
So there'd be a forum for each country, say, and threads for the regions there. Or perhaps we just need a single forum for all of them, but I can imagine the number of threads would get unwieldy. Maybe have a stickied index, and an understanding of what the areas are named by (for example, in the UK we could go by borough/district, so mine would be Lancaster).

Yeah, would probably want to start with general word "Geography" like how you have "General Discussion" on the menu already, then USA, UK, etc as subcategory like how you have "general autism" or "autism advocacy" then inside each start with smaller regions as threads under the respective larger region like Florida or new York under USA.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 7:51 pm

I think that's a cool idea as a way to geographically list small groups. I'm thinking of something far different though. Rather than organize (ie compile) a list of small groups that form, I'm talking about an organization devoted to serving and representing primarily adults with autism. The following, therefore, is a bump of sorts.

"If there was such an organization that promoted awareness and acceptance of autistics and primarily adult autistics and encouraged being a part of local groups that would share the common bond of the organization (think periodic regional meet ups, state, national, etc).....would you join such a group?

What types of things or specific issues would you want such an organization to focus on? What types of things do you envision such an organization doing that would benefit autistics at the local, state, national or even international level?"

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 7:53 pm

To incorporate largest number of AS individuals .. with some respect to diversity of their level on the spectrum ..《 just blabbing here 》. Thought it sounded good cause am seeing seeming larger differences in AS level even just here on this site . With Respects to everyone .

( and btw , eventually to consider , "too many chefs stirring the pot conundrum")
Longer term consideration.
For instance am good with words,& concepts , but cannot keep a top buttoned evenly to save my life on regular basis.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 8:09 pm

Magna wrote:
I think that's a cool idea as a way to geographically list small groups. I'm thinking of something far different though. Rather than organize (ie compile) a list of small groups that form, I'm talking about an organization devoted to serving and representing primarily adults with autism. The following, therefore, is a bump of sorts.

"If there was such an organization that promoted awareness and acceptance of autistics and primarily adult autistics and encouraged being a part of local groups that would share the common bond of the organization (think periodic regional meet ups, state, national, etc).....would you join such a group?

What types of things or specific issues would you want such an organization to focus on? What types of things do you envision such an organization doing that would benefit autistics at the local, state, national or even international level?"

I understand what you're saying, but a couple of questions I would have, especially on the international level, would be A) it is difficult enough to compare two different areas close together like Florida and Alabama, how easy would it be to compare important issues and how to change things all the same when comparing democracy in the states to Sharia law in the middle East. And B) I thought most people with ASD prefer micromanaging over macromanaging, making the same thing to compare Florida and Alabama easier to manage than the USA and UK together.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 8:16 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
Magna wrote:

I understand what you're saying, but a couple of questions I would have, especially on the international level, would be A) it is difficult enough to compare two different areas close together like Florida and Alabama, how easy would it be to compare important issues and how to change things all the same when comparing democracy in the states to Sharia law in the middle East. And B) I thought most people with ASD prefer micromanaging over macromanaging, making the same thing to compare Florida and Alabama easier to manage than the USA and UK together.

Very good point. Scratch the international idea. I was just thinking of something that could develop to the level of Autism Speaks but be an antithesis to it.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 8:36 pm

Magna wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
Magna wrote:

Very good point. Scratch the international idea. I was just thinking of something that could develop to the level of Autism Speaks but be an antithesis to it.

I understand what you're saying, sort of, but I think it would likely be a slow process. I am guessing that probably starting a series of threads first then maybe attempting to move things offline if it goes well would probably be the easiest way to coordinate your idea. Especially trying to have different regions of different sizes, for example having both all fifty states listed separately then also move to several larger threads like to talk about New England as a whole, then the Southeast, etc.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 4:39 am

Magna wrote:

We have to start somewhere. I'm thinking we need to start from the bottom up, since we're not exactly in a position to start from the top down. Starting local groups and seeing where it leads.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 8:28 am

Magneto wrote:
Magna wrote:

We have to start somewhere. I'm thinking we need to start from the bottom up, since we're not exactly in a position to start from the top down. Starting local groups and seeing where it leads.

That is kind of the same as what I am thinking.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 10:16 am

Agrees on idea of local groups .. ground up ........

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 10:44 am

I'd like to hear ideas about what kinds of things you'd want a small group you'd join to focus on. Your 'wish list'.

What specific things would you like your small group to do and to be for you?

Examples:

>Snacks
>Presentations on self-advocacy tips
>Life skills networking and assistance from within the group (ie sharing talents to help each other)
>Group sharing on anything related to each person's life since the last meeting (support)
>Book club on autism specific books
>Exchanging emails, setting up a group email and people connecting anytime on Google chat, etc.
>Breaking into sub-groups based on interests and reporting back to the main group periodically.
Example: 'Think tank' sub-group focusing on ways to foster positive autism awareness in the community
>Game time
>Group field trips, hikes, museums, picnics, restaurant outings, etc.
>Holiday parties
>Splinter support and friendship group of NT partners and spouses. Field trips and holiday parties could be attended by the autistic group members and their partners/spouses

Those are just some ideas. I'd like to hear from as many people as possible as to their personal desires as to the kind of small group they'd like to be a part of and what kinds of things they'd like their small group to do.

Those are just some ideas.