Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 2:26 pm

I've known a few people concerned with the Autism Spectrum, yet, I was surprised that my acquaintances were not receptive to making the time to understand, and even participate here on WP.

The PBS show on the Autism Spectrum 'In a Different Key' (trailer) LINK covered a wide-range of the Autism Spectrum including HFA.

'In a Different Key'(trailer) LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6arXcC_g_8

With WP's Founder on 'In a Different Key,' why the lack of follow-up on 'In a Different Key' here on WP?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 7:58 am

The Good:
I find the forum technology better than the more current ones because you have time to reply, unlike newer technologies which are online versions of multiperson conversations. Due to the multitasking difficulties many autistics have forums are more autistic friendly.

We have very diverse opinions about autism but unlike other online discussions out there, most members here do not view it in the binary autism as a curse, autism as a superpower manor.

Related to the above we skew a lot older than most other autistic online spaces. Younger autistics would benefit from what we have gained living as Autistic all these decades.

The bad:
We would become a bigger target for those that want to spread malware and trolls. The mods would have to be constantly cleaning up posts saying we are ret*ds, school shooters, autism is a fake disease stop whining and get a life etc.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 5:11 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The Good:
I find the forum technology better than the more current ones because you have time to reply, unlike newer technologies which are online versions of multiperson conversations. Due to the multitasking difficulties many autistics have forums are more autistic friendly.

We have very diverse opinions about autism but unlike other online discussions out there, most members here do not view it in the binary autism as a curse, autism as a superpower manor.

Related to the above we skew a lot older than most other autistic online spaces. Younger autistics would benefit from what we have gained living as Autistic all these decades.

The bad:
We would become a bigger target for those that want to spread malware and trolls. The mods would have to be constantly cleaning up posts saying we are ret*ds, school shooters, autism is a fake disease stop whining and get a life etc.

These are very good points.

From reading the above, 'The Good' is described in three paragraphs, and the 'the bad' only is described in one paragraph.

Granted, It's important to be mindful of the 'the bad', but NOT at the expense of the 'The Good'.

As mentioned in original post, the PBS show, 'In a Different Key' brought publicity to WP - PBS viewers, and supporters tend to be far more mindful of the 'The Good', and would be very receptive towards providing resources to combat the 'the bad'.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 5:37 pm

Why the lack of follow up? I'd guess it has to do with lack of interest in forums in general. I think people nowadays are more into places like reddit or facebook groups.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2023, 3:38 pm

We need concerned NTs in-the-loop here on WP.

Did the December, 2022 PBS Show on Autism 'In a Different Key' bring concerned NTs here to WP?

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 2:33 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:

Did the December, 2022 PBS Show on Autism 'In a Different Key' bring concerned NTs here to WP?

ADDENDUM: WP needs to boost new membership of both concerned NTs and those on the Autism Spectrum.

Fresh perspectives, experiences, etc. are a much-needed dynamic here on WP!

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 2:12 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

ADDENDUM: WP needs to boost new membership of both concerned NTs and those on the Autism Spectrum.

Fresh perspectives, experiences, etc. are a much-needed dynamic here on WP!

That would be awesome to become acquainted with like-minded people who've actually played important roles (usually small roles) in such PBS shows as 'In a Different Key!'