Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2024, 10:26 am

Who is Sarma Melngailis? All about American chef and businesswoman as she reveals Autism diagnosis at 51

Quote:
Sarma Melngailis, a well-known American chef and businesswoman, has recently revealed an important aspect of her life at the age of 51: her autism diagnosis, as per PEOPLE.

Sarma Melngailis: Early life and career
Melngailis was born in the United States on September 10, 1972, and raised in Newton, Massachusetts, where her mother, a professional chef, instilled in her a passion for food. After earning degrees in economics and business from the University of Pennsylvania, she worked in the corporate world before pursuing her culinary dreams.

Melngailis co-founded Pure Food and Wine in New York City, an upscale raw food restaurant that received critical acclaim. Along with her ventures, she established One Lucky Duck, a successful juice and takeaway retail store, cementing her reputation as a culinary trailblazer.

Melngailis struggled with personal issues and legal battles despite her professional success. In 2016, she made headlines when she was arrested in Tennessee with her then-husband, Anthony Strangis, on charges of grand larceny and fraud.

She said, "I had people yelling at me, calling me a criminal, telling me I should be rotting in jail, that I should be ashamed of myself, and that I'm a horrible, disgusting and stupid person." The tumultuous period overshadowed her professional and personal life, prompting public scrutiny and introspection.

Revelation of autism diagnosis
In the midst of all the chaos, Sarma Melngailis made an important discovery: she discovered she had autism at the age of 51. This diagnosis helped her understand why she always struggled with social situations, feeling overwhelmed by too much sensory input and missing social cues.

It explained why she was occasionally taken advantage of and struggled to interact with others. It was like a lightbulb moment, allowing her to make sense of things she had been puzzled about for years.

She frequently discusses autism and how it affects people, hoping to help others understand and be kinder. She hopes that by sharing her story and speaking up, she can inspire others to face their own challenges with courage and strength.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 8:13 am

Such a relief to find answers to lifetimes of painful "why" questions of our pasts. cheering her on and each time somebody "comes out" it helps others to see that perhaps they have been living all their lives with autism and nobody knew.
I was diagnosed at age 68, what a relief. Diagnosis for older adults can be so helpful, so healing, life changing.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 10:17 pm

It's nice to know that more and more well-known people are coming out as being on the spectrum. Hopefully, autism parents will start to open their minds and take into account all the famous and successful people who have come out as being on the spectrum and start taking the futures of their autistic offspring more seriously.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2024, 7:42 am

I find it amusing that "coming out" with autism is even a thing. But I mean, I get it, with all the stigma surrounding autism and such, it can be a hard thing to go public with.