4 year old banned for life Frontier airlines-mask wearing

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 10:03 am

Father says autistic son banned by airline, denied medical mask exemption: 'Mind-blowing'

Quote:
The father of a four-year-old autistic boy told "The Ingraham Angle" Monday that his son was banned from Frontier Airlines for life because he cannot wear a mask and comply with COVID-19 policies.

Michael Seklecki Jr. receives medical treatment in Boston and has been blocked from boarding flights twice because he does not wear a mask.

His father, Michael Seklecki, is suing the Transportation Security Administration and two airlines, Spirit and Frontier over the policies. He said his son is medically exempted from wearing a mask and he presented doctor’s notes to airline workers.

“He’s been banned for life on Frontier Airlines. … I was specifically banned as well. … Incredible," he said in an exclusive interview with Laura Ingraham, explaining that he's seeking Supreme Court intervention in the case.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 7:03 pm

I agree that banning a child for life for not wearing a mask is a bit extreme and stupid, but how did autistic children and adults cope during the war when everyone (even babies) had to wear gas masks? People weren't exempt back then, everybody exposed to certain toxic gases had to wear one and that was that.

skrish234
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2021, 7:07 pm

It was probably really uncomfortable for them. Back then, autism wasn't even recognized as an actual condition.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 2:33 pm

This is dumb. They act like 4 year olds don't change as they get older and they are acting like the pandemic is for life.

The 4 year old may not understand why he needs to wear a mask. I can understand the sensory issues with it so this could be another reason why he can't wear a mask.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 3:32 pm

The ban is legally unenforceable.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 3:52 pm

Banning any 4 year-old for not wearing a mask is odd, autistic or not. A lot of small NT children can't even reliably keep their shoes on, so I don't know how they expect one to just relent to wearing a mask for an extended period of time.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 6:28 pm

Nades wrote:

popular opinion enforced a similar instance I witnessed.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 5:32 pm

Looks like the truth of what happened is somewhat different:

https://autismsciencefoundation.wordpre ... nd-autism/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/spirit-air ... ring-mask/

Quote:
"He has a disability. It's protected under the American Disability Act and they go, 'No no no. Autism's not a disability. He has to wear a mask or he has to get off the plane.'"

Looks like years of whitewashing autism by ND campaigners has come home to roost, I suppose you can’t really blame the ordinary NT airline staff, who mostly receive a one sided view of autism nowadays as superpowers and differences.

Shame it was an innocent disabled child caught in the middle

Next it will be autistic help and welfare targeted by gov eager to cut back expenditure, in their desperation to whitewash & change the narrative ND advocates are shooting us in the foot.

- George Bernie Shaw

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 8:53 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Looks like the truth of what happened is somewhat different:

https://autismsciencefoundation.wordpre ... nd-autism/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/spirit-air ... ring-mask/

Quote:
"He has a disability. It's protected under the American Disability Act and they go, 'No no no. Autism's not a disability. He has to wear a mask or he has to get off the plane.'"

Looks like years of whitewashing autism by ND campaigners has come home to roost, I suppose you can’t really blame the ordinary NT airline staff, who mostly receive a one sided view of autism nowadays as superpowers and differences.

Shame it was an innocent disabled child caught in the middle

Next it will be autistic help and welfare targeted by gov eager to cut back expenditure, in their desperation to whitewash & change the narrative ND advocates are shooting us in the foot.

First of all we do not know why the airline personal said Autism is not a disability. My guess is they are understandably afraid of COVID because they are working in a tight crowded space with a lot people for hours at a time. Also as a business they do not want a lot of outbreaks on their planes so as not to be known as COVID airlines. They would invent any reason to have everyone masked. Mom said disability, “it is not a disability” is the first logical thing to came to mind.

Again, yet again most of the ND groups do define Autism as a disability.
ASAN
Quote:
The Autistic Self Advocacy Network seeks to advance the principles of the disability rights movement with regard to autism.

Autistic Self-Advocacy and the Neurodiversity Movement: Implications for Autism Early Intervention Research and Practice
Quote:
A central premise of the neurodiversity movement is that variations in neurological development and functioning across humans are a natural and valuable part of human variation and therefore not necessarily pathological (e.g., Jaarsma and Welin, 2012; Kapp, 2020). Neurodiversity as a social justice and civil rights movement intersects with the wider disability rights movement (Hughes, 2016). The most significant premise of both is that disability is not simply a defect in the individual, but arises from the interaction between a non-standard individual and an unaccommodating environment (the social model of disability; Oliver, 1990). Consistent with this stance, many neurodiversity proponents do view autism as a disability.

In my experience the people that push the notion that autism is only a gift or a superpower are Autistic/Aspie supremacists and snowplow parents who push every obstacle out of the way of their kids in the mistaken belief that avoiding the pains of life is a good thing.

IMHO what hurts autistic people in the ways you describe is not the ND movement but the perception of the ND movement as elitists with delusions of grandeur.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2021, 3:38 pm

The_Znof wrote:
Nades wrote:

popular opinion enforced a similar instance I witnessed.

Huh?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 9:40 pm

While a life ban is silly, and pretending specific issues associated with ASD aren't disabilities (ASD isn't dibilitating, but sensory issues certainly are), I have to wonder why someone who can't mask up continues to be brought into situations where a mask is required. Why does a 4 year old absolutely positively need to fly as often as this child seems to? most families have held back travel plans pending easing of the pandemic. Why can't this family? Where is the line between the responsibility of society to accommodate, and the responsibility of the family to make appropriate choices on their own? I never simply expected the world to completely give way to my ASD son's needs; we always worked to meet life at least halfway. If we'd been in a pandemic at the time and my son had been unable to mask up, I would only be flying when the aging relatives were on death's bed.