Australian dating show "Love on the Spectrum" to Netflix

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2020, 2:11 am

Netflix Orders Unscripted Indian Matchmaking Series and Autism Dating Show

Quote:
Netflix has greenlit two new unscripted dating shows, Variety has learned exclusively.

“Love on the Spectrum,” premiering July 22, focuses on young adults on the autism spectrum exploring the dating world.

Unlike “Love Is Blind” and “Too Hot To Handle,” both new shows are serialized, docuseries style formats that will follow several characters’ stories over the course of the season.

“Love on the Spectrum” will center on young adults on the autism spectrum as they navigate the unpredictable world of dating.

The series is produced by Northern Pictures, a Blue Ant Media company, with the support of Screen Australia, in association with ABC Television. The show originally aired on ABC Australia in Nov. 2019, and will be branded as a Netflix original in all countries outside of Australia. Cian O’Clery is director and Karina Holden is executive producer. “Love on the Spectrum” will span across five hourlong episodes.

“Love on the Spectrum” is a notable moment for mainstream content, as individuals with special needs are rarely represented on TV, especially in the unscripted space, although A&E’s critically-acclaimed “Born This Way,” which followed a group of adults with Down syndrome, was praised for its realistic depiction, winning several Emmys and receiving a Television Academy Honor in 2016.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2020, 7:22 pm

The Australian Broadcasting commission (ABC) has already aired this series for Australian viewers and I've watched all episodes.

A few things I learned;

- the Aspie girls were far more broad minded than how they come across here on WP, I was particularly heartened to see how girls who were high functioning were willing to date men who could be classified as having classical autism
- the men seemed more picky, not sure if some of the stuff said by both males and females were because they were self-conscious they were on camera?
- the parents seem to be a mix, I notice those with daughters were more likely to micro-manage their daughters choices whereas the mothers of boys were relieved any girl would be interested in them :)

killerBunny
Raven
Raven

26 Jun 2020, 9:25 am

These shows are always problematic. Like addiction shows. It is like 3rd world tourism. People entertained by "freaks".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 2:05 am

killerBunny wrote:
These shows are always problematic. Like addiction shows. It is like 3rd world tourism. People entertained by "freaks".

Unfortunately :|

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 3:19 am

I thought they were quite sensitively done. What it showed to me was how tolerant us autists generally are of each other's social mis-steps. I guess because we've all been there, in a way.
And it's probably positive overall to extend understanding of autistics to the general public.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 4:58 am

MrsPeel wrote:
I thought they were quite sensitively done. What it showed to me was how tolerant us autists generally are of each other's social mis-steps. I guess because we've all been there, in a way.
And it's probably positive overall to extend understanding of autistics to the general public.

Many of the kids were very sweet, both the boys and girls.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 11:49 pm

Where Are the 'Love on the Spectrum' Couples and Cast Now?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 11:56 pm

cyberdad wrote:
killerBunny wrote:

Unfortunately :|

Seconded.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2020, 5:34 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2020, 2:56 am

Love On The Spectrum Renewed for Season 2 but Delayed in Streaming, Why?

Quote:
Love on the spectrum is the primary actuality courting present which follows the courting lives of 9 younger folks on the autism spectrum. The present isn’t scripted like a lot of the reveals we get to see these days because the relationships are pre-existing and what we as viewers get to expertise is their experiences.

“The goal was to show that people on the spectrum do

want to find love and have relationships, and bust myths, and also just to help audiences understand more about autism by introducing them to a large group of real people,” creator Cian O’Clery mentioned.

What is the status of Season 2?
The primary season of the present premiered in Australia in November 2019 and was nicely acquired by the critics in addition to the viewers. As per the good critiques, the present was already renewed and the purposes for the second season’s solid had been opened in June. So we could be getting the present someday in October or November, hopefully, or newest by 2021 for certain.

Who can we expect to join the cast?
The season one’s star cast wouldn’t be returning for the second season. The present doesn’t have an outdoor casting firm as they, themselves, seek for whom they need to solid from the autism organisations, psychologists and different teams. This show is a wonderful initiative for the folks on and off the spectrum as everyone would be taught one factor or one other about them.

It will be interesting to know the makers will weave a new story in the upcoming seasons and which new faces will join the show. Let’s see how rather more we’ll have to attend, however it’s anticipated to return someday in 2021.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2020, 3:04 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Love On The Spectrum Renewed for Season 2 but Delayed in Streaming, Why?
Quote:
Love on the spectrum is the primary actuality courting present which follows the courting lives of 9 younger folks on the autism spectrum. The present isn’t scripted like a lot of the reveals we get to see these days because the relationships are pre-existing and what we as viewers get to expertise is their experiences.

“The goal was to show that people on the spectrum do

want to find love and have relationships, and bust myths, and also just to help audiences understand more about autism by introducing them to a large group of real people,” creator Cian O’Clery mentioned.

What is the status of Season 2?
The primary season of the present premiered in Australia in November 2019 and was nicely acquired by the critics in addition to the viewers. As per the good critiques, the present was already renewed and the purposes for the second season’s solid had been opened in June. So we could be getting the present someday in October or November, hopefully, or newest by 2021 for certain.

Who can we expect to join the cast?
The season one’s star cast wouldn’t be returning for the second season. The present doesn’t have an outdoor casting firm as they, themselves, seek for whom they need to solid from the autism organisations, psychologists and different teams. This show is a wonderful initiative for the folks on and off the spectrum as everyone would be taught one factor or one other about them.

It will be interesting to know the makers will weave a new story in the upcoming seasons and which new faces will join the show. Let’s see how rather more we’ll have to attend, however it’s anticipated to return someday in 2021.

I'm wondering why the kids can't continue dating online/virtually? probably not as entertaining for the TV audience perhaps?

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 12:51 am

cyberdad wrote:
- the Aspie girls were far more broad minded than how they come across here on WP

:lol: was this meant to be a subtle burn to the females of this forum? lol

I think a lot of people come to forums to vent about their frustrations, regardless of gender. It's probably safe to assume you wouldn't really know how open minded a person is just based on how they post here, or just from a single TV date either, to be fair.

People are complicated. We are each more than the sum of our best and worst days.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 3:07 am

Fern wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
- the Aspie girls were far more broad minded than how they come across here on WP

I think a lot of people come to forums to vent about their frustrations, regardless of gender. It's probably safe to assume you wouldn't really know how open minded a person is just based on how they post here, or just from a single TV date either, to be fair.

People are complicated. We are each more than the sum of our best and worst days.

You have to excuse me I have limited experience with Aspies outside of this forum and outside of TV hence my attempts to look for points of reference....

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 10:33 am

cyberdad wrote:
Fern wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

You have to excuse me I have limited experience with Aspies outside of this forum and outside of TV hence my attempts to look for points of reference....

Fair enough. I have met quite few other aspies IRL. It's a nice benefit of working in a museum and/or a career in academia. We gather like moths to the flame of information.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2020, 3:01 pm

Hey, anyone watched the reality show about people with Autism Spectrum Disorder and their experiences dating,
that is presently showing on Netflix, which is called "Love on the Spectrum".

love on the spectrum dating

The Promise—and Pitfalls—of Netflix's New Reality Dating Show for Autistic People

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2020, 3:05 pm

I thought the show was pretty good.
Kind of did depict some of the problems people with Autism Spectrum Disorder have with dating.

I have to say that i found all the people with Autism Spectrum Disorder on the show very likeable.
Perhaps not all on my wave length, but no one that i found offensive or mean.

Thought some of the woman were very beautiful. I am sure many of them will have a good chance of
finding a good partner.

I thought the two couples featured on the show also were really good couples, that looked really happy.
Good for them!