Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2022, 4:24 am

I'm curious if anyone can detect if this girl on America's got talent is autistic - she calls herself a level 1 autistic

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2022, 3:47 pm

Why?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2022, 8:25 pm

I think she's trying to spread awareness that not all autistic people are the same and many autistic people go on to be sucessful.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2022, 8:41 pm

I think in "America's got talent" having a backstory where you struggle or had some type of thing holding you back win's points/sympathy with the audience and judges,

If you look at the winners of the golden buzzer this year they all have tragedy or a disability in their lives.

Having said that, about a decade ago there was a male teenager who concealed his Aspergers on AGT and only after he lost he revealed it.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 6:15 am

I sense distaste - a very bitter one.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 6:40 am

One can’t tell if one is or isn’t autistic based upon a YouTube video depicting someone singing.

If she’s talented, who cares whether or not she’s autistic ?

There are people with severe stutters and heavy “accents” who can sound like a person who can speak excellent English while singing, without a hint of stuttering.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 6:57 am

Temeraire wrote:

?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 6:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
One can’t tell if one is or isn’t autistic based upon a YouTube video depicting someone singing.

If she’s talented, who cares whether or not she’s autistic ?

There are people with severe stutters and heavy “accents” who can sound like a person who can speak excellent English while singing, without a hint of stuttering.

umm, she says she is...

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 7:43 am

cyberdad wrote:
Temeraire wrote:

?

What what?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 8:55 am

I can not tell from a brief video either.
Who is singer Aubrey Burchell? AGT contestant previously auditioned for American Idol Season 1

Quote:
Singer Aubrey Burchell will take to the stage in Season 17 of America's Got Talent (AGT) during this week's episode, set to air on Tuesday, August 2, 2022, at 8.00 pm ET on NBC.

Aubrey previously auditioned in Season 16 of American Idol in 2018 and finished in the Top 70. This time, she is set to mark her debut on a new stage with fresh hopes and aspirations. Only time will tell if she can win the title this time.

The AGT audience greeted Aubrey Burchell with applause as she appeared on stage. The 21-year-old singer from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, revealed that she works at Target and sneaks into the bathroom with her phone to sing. The contestant aims to sell stadiums across the world and win GRAMMYs.

“I want to show other young autistics that are suffering in silence that you can follow your passion and not fit in the box and do what you do and just eat at it.”

Aubrey then performed her rendition of The Weeknd's Call Out My Name, which moved the judges and audience to tears. The judges applauded her for being brave and sharing her story, with Sofia terming her "the whole package." The AGT judge also thought that the contestant could win the competition.Aubrey was born on January 6, 2001, and quickly became interested in singing. Her father was a musician, and together they would write little melodies. The singer's first audience was in preschool. Since then, she has performed at local charity events. She has also had a vocal coach since she was 15 years old.

After the AGT contestant finished in the Top 70 of American Idol, she opened up about her experience in an interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and said:
"It's one of my crowning achievements and something I never thought I would've done. I'm grateful for the opportunity, and it was a springboard to what I believe was to be later."

In November 2020, a year after the pandemic hit, Aubrey had been singing at Western Pennsylvania venues before performing live became unfeasible. The singer confessed it was a tough time for her, and working long hours at Target without being able to sing was mentally exhausting.But the AGT contestant kept her spirits up and continued to post videos of herself singing online and on social media platforms. After losing one of her close friends in 2021, she got the chance to appear on America's Got Talent when some producers saw one of her videos and asked her to audition for the competition.Reflecting on her experience on AGT, she confessed:
"This feels like the light at the end of the tunnel, the comeback of the music. It kind of goes to show that if you are a local artist, put yourself out there. I don't care if you're sitting on the bathroom floor and singing. Be seen and put stuff out there."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 3:16 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
“I want to show other young autistics that are suffering in silence that you can follow your passion and not fit in the box and do what you do and just eat at it.”

I imagine she hasn't heard of Elon Musk :lol:

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 6:43 am

What is it that you don't like about her Cyberdad?

How is she pushing your buttons?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 7:10 am

Temeraire wrote:

I'm not sure she needs to broadcast her autism. It just seems a little contrived in order to win sympathy. I would have preferred that she just perform and be judged on her merits. She could have been more discreet.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 4:03 am

cyberdad wrote:
Temeraire wrote:

I'm not sure she needs to broadcast her autism. It just seems a little contrived in order to win sympathy. I would have preferred that she just perform and be judged on her merits. She could have been more discreet.

It raises the viewing figures as well as giving the contestants a budge up the popularity ladder. They make these shows sensational to grab and keep attention.
They want the audience to relate with the performer and their hardships. To see them as someone who has suffered and prevailed.
I think they go too far when young people are breaking down on stage, it leaves me wondering what support they are getting whilst in distress. Human suffering sells.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 7:15 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I can not tell from a brief video either.

Is it possible she's faking it?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 9:28 am

Autistic singer Aubrey Burchell captivates AGT fans with The Weeknd tune

Quote:
Aubrey Burchell took to the America’s Got Talent stage to perform The Weeknd’s ‘Call Out My Name’. Putting her own emotional spin on the popular track, she seriously impressed the talent show judges.

Spoiler alert:
Revealing that she was recently diagnosed with level one autism, Audrey’s audition received four yeses. Hoping to inspire viewers across the country, the singer broke down in tears after getting a standing ovation.

“Special” and with the potential for a “skyrocketing career” (Simon’s words), she was described as the “perfect package” by judge Sofia Vergara.

cyberdad wrote:

Is it possible she's faking it?

Anything is possible but without good reason such as Dan Ackroyd’s claim he was diagnosed with Aspergers in the early 1980s I don’t think we should cast suspicion on peoples Autism claims. I know there is an ongoing thread about people faking autism, a legitimate topic for conversation but it should not bleed into guilty until proven innocent mentality. That only can lead to suspicion of every autistic who is successful and appears normal for the brief time you see them.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman