Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2023, 2:12 pm

York bus driver from Haxby with Asperger's wins £30,000

Quote:
A BUS driver from York with Asperger's Syndrome who was called an 'imbecile' and an 'illiterate cretin' by work colleagues has won a £30,000 payout.

Tom Holland, 35, who lives in Haxby, said he worked as a driver for A&A Coach Travel Ltd, then based at Tockwith and now in Harrogate, as driver for two periods, from September 2016 - May 2019 and then again from June 2019 - December 2020, during the pandemic.

It was during the latter period that the bullying occurred.

A Leeds employment tribunal found Mr Holland was subjected to frequent name-calling and abuse related to his disability and was threatened with dismissal from his job.

They heard how Mr Holland was told: 'Just do what you are told to do you special needs waste of space'.

And how he was also called an 'imbecile' an 'illiterate cretin' and referred to as 'Mr Bean'.

In the end Mr Holland was constructively dismissed and after he'd left the firm he was reported to the DVLA and his former employer wrote to a new employer putting his new job in jeopardy.

The firm which provides bus services, including contracts to take pupils to and from local schools, has refused to comment saying they are appealing the panel's decision.

The panel heard that said Mr Holland would cry himself to sleep, dreading going into work everyday and hoping the behaviour would stop. The tribunal heard that he was eventually forced to quit when constructively dismissed by the firm.

As a result he has been referred to counselling and described himself as being unable to sleep with his stammer returning. His father told the panel that Mr Holland's behaviour changed with him becoming withdrawn and not showing an interest in things and constantly worrying.

The panel awarded Mr Holland £29,000 for injury to feelings plus £1,500 costs

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 7:12 am

This is what irks me about workplaces here in the UK.

It seems to be just lip service that we are; "accepting", "equal", and "tolerant", of people from all walks of life, yet such places are rife with toxicity and discrimination, because people fail to understand or choose not to understand autistic people. Seemingly boils down to "You're different, therefore I do not like you."

Having been a victim of this myself, it's no wonder I've continuously struggled with unemployment. Especially when such "friendly" co-workers scoff snide remarks under their breath, none-the-wiser that my sensitive hearing has picked up on all of it.

"And I've embraced the calamity, with a detachment and a passive disinterest."

"I hear voices...But I ignore them and just carry on killing."

AnomalousAspergian
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2023, 12:19 pm

And So It Goes wrote:
This is what irks me about workplaces here in the UK.

It seems to be just lip service that we are; "accepting", "equal", and "tolerant", of people from all walks of life, yet such places are rife with toxicity and discrimination, because people fail to understand or choose not to understand autistic people. Seemingly boils down to "You're different, therefore I do not like you."

Having been a victim of this myself, it's no wonder I've continuously struggled with unemployment. Especially when such "friendly" co-workers scoff snide remarks under their breath, none-the-wiser that my sensitive hearing has picked up on all of it.

This definitely resonates with me. I have never been in employment but I have definitely experienced that sort of attitude from society which I is the main reason I would not like to be thrown into the economic jungle of the grotesque job market. I know a relative who is also on the autism spectruma and whose mental health was directly impacted because her co-workers exploited her autistic traits because they sensed that they were different.