Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 10:56 pm

New Autism Rights Group in the process of being set up here in NZ

To open discussion regarding the autistic rights, to facilitate easy communication between members regarding our issues and organizing future meetings (on and off line) to enable collective action..

I believe very strongly in the importance of an active, independent and strong autistic self-advocacy and I am glad to help set up a group, which will be run by and for the peoples voice of NZ, your chance to be heard...and work together to strengthen, grow and protect the autistic community.

First meeting has taken place and it has been agree to start, monthly meeting will be in Christchurch, but also on line discussion group to be set up.

Group will be available to anyone interested in ASD people rights and who wants to see change…

Please contact by email via web site below if interested in being part of group, on or off line, with short para about you and your thoughts, why want to be part of this group etc….

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 8:15 am

But doesn't 'Autism Spectrum Kiwis' already serve as NZ's autism rights group?

http://www.autscape.org/

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 5:25 pm

No

They are a very small group and at present quite inclusive and really just help each other.

Its also only for people on the autsim spectrum and there are lots of parents with children with no where to go, so group will be made up of mix of people on the autism spectrum, parnets with children, undiagnosed people etc...

Of course will be a feeder group to ASK Trust and they will be in the loop and keep up to date.

This is just a start to pulling all the resources together here in NZ, list of emails of people wanting to do some think, list of ideas of changes and to unite us as one group.

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Apr 2008, 6:28 pm

WOW....

What a great idea ;)

NZ needs more advocacy !

Your onto something here alyson :D

hmmm.... Like the idea of having a Online discussion... > why not use technology... stream on web.. include active people all over the world wide web... / New Zealand and beyond...
That would be good to see... Just need a good system... e.g. turn taking in voice etc.. maybe a buzzer of sorts..
Perhaps video perhaps MSN Messenger Perhaps... just audio...

Opinions on using technology in meetings/discussions of asperger issues/ Communication via the computer hows it done??????????

How can it be done...

whats the best way ... ;)

I also want action...... support/action...

I believe a lot of parents want the "best for their kids" and are more than willing to help out in their childs "label"
Try to create that kindy feel of helping... fundraising etc... (what is that feel -togetherness/common cause, education, childs envolvement etc... If one does it(fundraise) then another, then another, the rest should follow :D

haha psychology eh..

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 6:30 pm

Maybe next year I'll get involved, I'm overseas at present. Do keep us updated though - the more the better I say. :D