Page 8 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Are you in any way offended by the term "Cure"?
Poll ended at 12 May 2008, 8:36 pm
Yes 65%  65%  [ 60 ]
No 35%  35%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 92

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 4:44 am

And yeah, what cure? I am kind of offended because the society now thinks autism is just another disease. I thought it's a neurodevelopmental disability?

NomadicAssassin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Mar 2009, 8:56 am

I don't know or have any stake in what other Aspies think about a "Cure", but as far as it goes with me it's very offensive we have enough issues with videos making fun of us, people thinking we can't do the average activity, ect..... and now we have this "A cure for Asperser’s Syndrome" :evil: .... there is no cure because there’s nothing wrong with us, to be honest I’ve heard that most with AS grow up getting High end technological jobs, so if anything is to be said we almost have an advantage against the average NT, but I’m not one for becoming if you will "racist" on any topic .... So to end this in the simplest manner...

I find a "Cure" to be quite offensive, even though they only ploy this in good will. :?

Albert Einstein

DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 4:39 pm

treatment is better.

u cant cure autism at a later age. its a PDD (Progressive Development Disorder). basically, u would have to detect it early and treat it so ur brain doesnt grow all crazy like it would if left untouched. so i say, its selfish to deny a person's right to a happy life.

NomadicAssassin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Mar 2009, 9:59 pm

Quote:
basically, u would have to detect it early and treat it so ur brain doesnt grow all crazy like it would if left untouched

uh... my brain isn't "all crazy"....

Quote:
its selfish to deny a person's right to a happy life

... and im still leading a happy life?

Albert Einstein

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 3:55 am

yes I am.. it kinda make me think of hittler and he's perfect race... :evil:

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 8:10 am

Hrmph, for people who want it, let them have the cure, for people who think are better off with it, don't take it =/ Forcing people to take the cure would be pretty much akin to autoritarianism. (did i spell that right? <.< )

dalekaspie
Toucan
Toucan

14 May 2009, 8:38 am

i'll let wesker do the talking 8)

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 10:25 am

Honestly, I'm not so fond of the so-called "Cure" cause, I'm okay with being the way I am and would not willfully choose anything different from my current form putting it midly.
I realise there are a great many people searching for such as, they have such difficulties in his/her own live's or the parents of autistic children tend to look for such.Anyways, Let people go about searching whereas, I'll remain the person I've been,am, always will be!!

ProfessorX

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 May 2009, 5:08 am

I'm quite depressed about it really. I feel like a blemish that society wants to airbrush out.

What will happen if they find their “cure”? Has anyone really considered it? If everyone drank a magic potion and nobody had AS anymore, how many people would be out of a job? The admins of this website for starters! And how many people would actually want it? Sure, the parents of people with severe autistic difficulties would, but it would be pointless to give it to anyone past a certain age, since most skills are aquired as a baby. If you magically “cured” an 18 year old with severe autism, they would not jump up and say “Great! Now I'm all better, I'm off to get a girlfriend and a well paid job!” What would be in it, anyway? Can you imagine the side effects?? We'd all rid our Asperger's but we'd probably have something like chronic constipation and a high cancer risk instead!

There are a million other flaws I could list but I won't. It's a pointless, complex and offensive suggestion. Surely we should be concentrating on spreading awareness instead of chasing miracle drugs. Or if they are insistant on the “cure” path, maybe they should look into something to eradicate the genetic trait which can be a cause, therefore preventing, not “curing” the issue.

I don't know. I'm no scientist.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 5:29 am

Look, the idea of a cure is a great way to squeeze more blood from the wallets of grieving parents, but it isn't going to happen.
The sort of epigenetic lock that Aspergers' applies to its sufferers will only go away after a century or two of strictly monitored breeding.

Ravendruid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 May 2009, 10:21 am

People keep talking about the "cure" being voluntary, but who's to say it would be. Just look at the recent case of the thirteen-year-old boy and his parents who all objected to chemotherapy. The courts pretty much said neither the boy's nor his parent's opinions mattered. Why would they see autism any differently.

And those who say neurological issues are treated differently than cancer, I've known several people with depression who were forced onto anti-depressants against their will. Many of them say a lot of the same things I am reading on here, that their depression is just another aspect of their personality, that the positives that come with it "increased creativity, etc) outway the negatives, yet the state insists that they need to be "cured".

I see no reason that I should be labeled as "broken" just because some parents don't want the extra challenge of dealing with a child who is different, or has greater needs than others. If they are unwilling to accept ALL of the potential difficulties and responsibilities of their children, they shouldn't have them.

Finally, who's to say that some of these lowest functioning auties aren't perfectly content the way they are. If they're unable to communicate, how does anyone know whether or not they even want to.

Rocker82
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2009, 7:00 pm

"A Cure for Autism",offends me since celebrities like Jenny McCarthy wants a cure for her son's autism.Now Rock Stars are also jumping on the bandwagon,as VH1's "Rock Autism".Ronnie James Dio wants to 'end' autism.This reminds so much from the third X-Men film.For a person with Asperger's syndrome I have felt the fear,dislike,and discrimination.In some ways to what to Magneto from Nazi brutality.He also will protect mutants who are feared and hate,just I would do to;not using force.

Rocker82

07 Jun 2009, 11:49 pm

fatallonglost wrote:
Let's just say that if this was x-men I would be one of the bad guys, I suppose.

I've always related to magneto more than I did the professor x's guys.

Me too,I have always related myself to Magneto.

dalekaspie
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jun 2009, 4:30 pm

its the selfish gene theory, humans would do anything to protect their biologicall code from changing like its supposed to :x

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2009, 1:39 pm

I'll say this in my own words as, I'm not so fond of people or persons whom, seemingly feel that there is a potential "Cure" for all people with autism or other autsitics spectrum disorders..Really, should individuals look at autism as, if it was the bubonic plaque or something along those lines? Nope!! therefore, whenever I've seen literature or other material spouting out the idea in the search for a cure, that to me is nothing more than pointing a finger at autistic people and simply saying,"We're all flawed and diseased and need to be rendered clean of our so-called afflction." These things actually make me mad :x however, I'm not some malign person so, I'll let everyone believe what they wish just don't try to impose one's ideas on me as, if it was the gospel truth...

ProfessorX