Page 1 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

elan_i
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2008, 12:57 am

In considering the extreme level of ideological and practical threat that many with ASD (autism spectrum disorder) believe is posed by pro-cure science, medicine, individuals, and organizations, I've been tending to speculate that in the event that some form of a cure or partial cure is developed, there may be intense anti-threat mobilization in the form of attempted and successful assassinations on the various people considered to be threats. I believe it may be considered by many anti-cure individuals that the curing or partial curing of ASD individuals is like committing a form of murder against these ASD individuals, and a form of genocide against their race of humans, and that any means must be taken to stop the murder of the selves of ASD persons.

This new form of murder they perceive? The murder of the self.

The extreme level of ideological and practical threat is fairly often expressed here on Wrong Planet, including by many in my last thread.
Anti-cure Cowardice? http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt54644.html

In my limited time reading a few different message boards, it occurs to me that many with ASD (autism spectrum disorder) would argue, in the event that a cure or treatment caused another ASD person to be neurotypical, that they were better off ASD. Those with ASD arguing this take a highly parental intellectual role: they believe their ideas are crucial, and that as such they must speak for the entirety of ASD persons. And this is the case even if the cured ASD person states that he or she now prefers being neurotypical.

In the imagined example of a severely autistic child who received a cure and became a neurotypical child, I believe the above ASD people would, still, argue (1) there was nothing wrong with the child in the first place, and (2) there is nothing better now that the child is a neurotypical. They would dismiss the increase in communicative, social, sensory, and emotional abilities as irrelevant.

Last edited by elan_i on 07 Feb 2008, 4:33 am, edited 6 times in total.

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Feb 2008, 1:06 am

The only way a cure would translate to genocide would be if there were mandatory fetal testing combined with mandatory administration of said cure (or mandatory termination.)

Anything less than that, and the word is eugenics.

Murder would be mandatory testing of adults, with same consequences. Anything less than that, and the word is probably psychiatry.

I certainly hope (and believe) assassinations will not be necessary. Autism is obviously necessary for society to be like it is today, and may be necessary for many loftier things.

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 1:10 am

elan_i wrote:
In considering the extreme level of ideological and practical threat that many with ASD (autism spectrum disorder) believe is posed by pro-cure science, medicine, individuals, and organizations, I've been tending to speculate that in the event that some form of a cure or partial cure is developed, there may be intense anti-threat mobilization in the form of attempted and successful assassinations on the various people considered to be threats. I believe it may be considered by many anti-cure individuals that the curing or partial curing of ASD individuals is like committing a form of murder against these ASD individuals, and a form of genocide against their race of humans, and that any means must be taken to stop the murder of the selves of ASD persons.

This new form of murder they perceive? The murder of the self.

This reminds me of Magneto from the "X-men" series.

I have a hard time seeing Magneto as a villain because of my position on ASD cure. I would react as he reacted to a cure for autism (mutantism?). I remember when he yelled, "They're trying to exterminate us!" in the last film; that really spoke to me.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Feb 2008, 1:13 am

Sounds kind of like X-men. I personally don't view that changing the self is the same as killing the self, because we all change every moment. But I don't know, I guess you can never put it past someone to have an extreme opinion and react on it. I hope it never comes to that. Whoever wants a cure should have as much deciding power as the ones who refuse.

elan_i
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2008, 1:14 am

ev8 wrote:
The only way a cure would translate to genocide would be if there were mandatory fetal testing combined with mandatory administration of said cure (or mandatory termination.)

I didn't mean genocide of people's themselves and their bodies, but rather, only their selves.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 1:16 am

Murdering people is just hypocritical, especially if the aim is to stop a genocide. As much as I hate the idea of a cure, killing anyone isn't going to help our cause. If people die, not only is that either capital punishment or a life sentence in most jurisdictions, it is also just plain wrong. I'm pretty sure those researchers are just out there doing their jobs. Not their fault. It's also not the fault of the mothers out there who want a cure... they're just misguided. Killing any of them is just immoral and flies in the face of everything we're trying to accomplish.

Destruction of property (specifically, the "cure" and all research data pertaining to it), on the other hand... minimal prison sentence, if any (especially compared to murder), nobody has to die, and the poison the NT's want to inflict on us all is still destroyed...

Last edited by ToadOfSteel on 05 Feb 2008, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 1:17 am

When I change myself, it's what I want to do, a natural process not thought about, it's actually changing some stuff to express that same self better. But if people force me, on the other hand...

Dishman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2008, 1:30 am

Walter Freeman had a cure for anti-social behavior.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 1:35 am

I can see assassinations on Matthew Israel and on some "traitor" autistics who "suck up to the NT world"...

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 1:59 am

they're not traitors in any sense of the word, just misguided...

"grass is greener" philosophy does extend into the autistic world...

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 2:33 am

There isn't any "cure" for autism. But therapies such as teaching social skills greatly reduce the difficulties of autism. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that anymore than I would see anything wrong with visual aids for the sight-impaired as long as the autistic person sought the help of his/her own free will.

The line is crossed trying to force your will on others. And this applies equally to the anti-cure militants as it does to the "curebie" bunch. Whether someone wants to become more "NT-like" belongs in the hands of the individual. It doesn't belong in the hands of a few extremists inflamed by this ideology or that ideology.

elan_i
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2008, 2:58 am

Silver_Meteor wrote:
There isn't any "cure" for autism. But therapies such as teaching social skills greatly reduce the difficulties of autism.

What if a cure was successful to even more greatly reduce the difficulties of autism, such as by even more effectively allowing for social skills to be acquired and developed? I conceive of the therapies and treatments aimed to improve communication, social interaction, emotion, sensory processing, etc, to be similar in nature to a cure. I consider a cure to be an extension of these therapies and treatments. For many anti-cure and anti-autism-is-an-illness individuals, to accept any treatment and any therapy, is to admit that your condition is something that can benefit from being treated medically, and the goal of and desire for a cure is an extension of this.

Last edited by elan_i on 05 Feb 2008, 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 3:02 am

I fail to comorehend the reason for elan's threads.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 3:13 am

For the record, posting stuff like this isn't too brilliant. There are anti-abortion sites out there which post names and addresses of doctors who perform them, and people actually have been murdered as a result.
While I doubt anyone here actually 'means' it like that. It's just unnecessary and tasteless.

elan_i
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2008, 3:23 am

My original post and other posts are clearly anti-assassination. I raised this issue (in my original post) in light of what I consider the extreme nature of the commonly held anti-cure and anti-autism-is-an-illness/disorder views. It's only speculation on what may occur. I also raised the issue to see if anyone anti-cure etc could imagine it to be foreseeable.

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 3:29 am

I apologize. Saying 'it's been a bad night' is a bad excuse for not paying attention, but believe me when I say that it is the case and entirely on me.