Page 9 of 14 [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next

militarybrat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Apr 2008, 5:03 pm

The problem with this analogy is that Anti-social Personality Disorder isnot often compatible with Asperger's Syndrome and/or Autism on a physiological level and all Serial killers have APD and followed a certain track (though not all people with APD are serical killers).
About 33% of children with ODD develope Childhood CD, about 33% of these will also have a calluse personality type mixed in, about 33% of those develop Anti-Social Personality Disorder and about 10% or less of these people become or show the potiencial for becoming serial killers. The basic brain system with these disorders is an Overactive BAS and a almost nonfunctioning BIS. In ASDs overfunctioning BIS are the norm, which is why anxiety is so prevalent in autistic populations. A serial killer wouldn't typically feel anxiety.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 7:32 pm

To put it in a nutshell, are you saying that finding an autistic serial killer is close to impossible.

Apuleyo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Apr 2008, 7:33 pm

Most of the serial killers are either dead or never were captured, so it's pretty difficult to accurately diagnose them, don't you think?
Specially because so many of them left deliberately puzzling clues to conceal themselves.
Even if they prove that a few were autistic, the vast majority is shrouded in mysteries.

militarybrat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Apr 2008, 10:28 pm

morning_after wrote:
To put it in a nutshell, are you saying that finding an autistic serial killer is close to impossible.

I'm saying its unlikely and if one is/were autistic it would have APD as a comorbid condition, which would be an interesting combination.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 10:34 pm

I fit the profile for a spree killer (aka school/mall/whatever shooter). :oops:

militarybrat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Apr 2008, 10:39 pm

Apuleyo wrote:
Most of the serial killers are either dead or never were captured, so it's pretty difficult to accurately diagnose them, don't you think?
Specially because so many of them left deliberately puzzling clues to conceal themselves.
Even if they prove that a few were autistic, the vast majority is shrouded in mysteries.

Everyone that has been caught matches the APD profile I described. Forensic anthropology and archaeology help solve crimes by showing the basic profile of the criminal based on what it behind (intentionally or otherwise) and the results lead to psychological profileing along the same lines. This doesn't diagnose them, but it gives a strong indication of what they will likely be, and all those caught show this along with having the back histories.
Sometimes they leve puzzleing clues merely as a challenge to the authorities or to mark the crime as belonging to them.
Serial killers, while popular in media (movies an pop culture) are not actually that common, which is another reason why they can be profiled with a certain degree of confidence.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 10:40 pm

I believe Ted Kaczynski. My uncle went to high school with him at Evergreen Park High School not far from here. He was very socially awkward and extremely smart he skipped 2 grades. He was a professor at Cal-Berkley for a while.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 10:42 pm

Ana54 wrote:
I fit the profile for a spree killer (aka school/mall/whatever shooter). :oops:

Young skinny white guy?

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 1:17 am

I remember when the DC sniper was at it. And the police profile was that he was an angry white guy in his 30's. Turned out to be a black teenager and another black guy in his 40's. I guess racial profiling is okay as long as you do it to white people.

militarybrat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Apr 2008, 8:38 am

GoatOnFire wrote:
I remember when the DC sniper was at it. And the police profile was that he was an angry white guy in his 30's. Turned out to be a black teenager and another black guy in his 40's. I guess racial profiling is okay as long as you do it to white people.

I'm not sure if this is related to anything I wrote but if it is I wasn't talking about racial profiling, I was talking about basic psychological profiling to determine/based on the nature of the crimes. Black and white people can fit into the same psych profiles as both races can feel the same emotions or have any number of psychological disorders, they're not racialy exclusive.
On an other note, my father's best friend fit the DC sniper profile at the time: white, 30s with a military background (I think they put that because of the type of rifle being used, which goes to show that non-military people can be just as proficent at weaponry as the military if they want to). You do have to be careful with profiling, because not everyone fits the norm (white is the norm for serial killers), and you are dealing with someone you've never actually ment.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 4:44 pm

militarybrat wrote:
GoatOnFire wrote:

I'm not sure if this is related to anything I wrote but if it is I wasn't talking about racial profiling

I wasn't necessarily making a point about racial profiling although I guess that's the most emotional charged topic hit on. Actually I thought the most interesting discrepancy was that it was 2 people doing the shootings when they thought it was 1. I was just making a point that profiling in general is not a perfect process, be it psychological, racial, whatever.

DEMONYTE
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Apr 2008, 11:41 pm

Exscuse me, but as a documented sociopath, and I feel the urge to tell you ALL that you have no Idea, nor does the medical/psychological community. It's all a matter of upbringing. Sociopathy has nothing to do with killing, or being dark/evil/bad. It's a lack of being good/bad/otherwise. We are for the most part programmable. This is beCause we have no basic emotions whatsoever. I find that human emotion is the Cause of evil. I'm angry, boo-hoo, let me kill thie girl who didn't go out with me. I'm sad, boo-hoo let me exterminate the source of my pain. Some sociopaths take such extreme scientific interest in death that we kill for the sake of experimentaion yes, oh well, there's good in everything, and bad as well. I myself was trained by my father to have the extreme sense of duty to my family that i have. Because of this, I focus on defending my family and our allied family devoutly without any emotional concern for how they "Feel" about my actions. Having those emotions would lead me to act other than what's logically best for them because it just wouldn't be "nice". I find that there are a HELL of alot more of us than you all acknowledge, you simply chose to demonize us by only acknowledging the bad ones. I feel human emotion is a weakness all around. Happiness is a luxury to old people who dont need to work. Sadness, and fear destryo your mind, I've SEEN it. Anger is a nice weapon when you control it, becayuse of adrenaline. It's a blinder when IT controls You. I see no point, but it isn't my job to train you people, just to remove those who are threats to my own.

Any more questions you want answered from a socio in person, feel free to email me. Just put Socio in the subj. cause I get alot of spam.

DarkDragnShadowX@yahoo

28 Apr 2008, 1:48 am

Whoever enjoys killing people are no NT. I think they have some mental illness. No one goes out and kills for the pleasure.

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Apr 2008, 12:48 pm

This reminds me of Dark Side Hacker, a almost completely false account of Kevin Mitnick, making hackers out to look bad, when most hackers just hack for fun or for companies to test security.

I hate it when people try to put a bad label on something based on little to no evidence!

VioletClementine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2008, 1:20 pm

I remember, a little over a year ago, in a town in Massachusetts that is not far from where I live, a 16-year old high school student with Asperger's stabbed a fellow student to death. My mother was terrified that I would have a meltdown if I saw it in the news so she tried to keep me distracted and hid all the newspapers. I don't know why she thought I wouldn't find out eventually, because I did and the news sent me into a long phase of depression and anger.

I'm sick of people thinking I'm going to go postal on them or something. Not everyone with AS is a psychopath! I mean, I don't even have violent impulses!

The problem is that the media's only attracted to the cases that portray people with AS as complete sociopaths. I mean, when was the last time you heard autism discussed in a neutral or positive light on the news? Everyone seems to think it's this horrible, horrible condition that needs to be "cured", and that autistics deserve to be pitied and treated like they're made of glass.

Ugh.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 6:57 pm

Try telling that to the people at AS, who seem convinced that our attitude that says autism doesn't need to be cured will cause autistic people to feel neglected.