Page 18 of 20 [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 11:14 pm

This thread is way too long and over a year ago and I am utterly confused with what this topic is in relation to religion.

I'll just answere what I think this question's asking, no I'm not religious and I don't think ASD is really a chemical imbalance as much a genetic one. If it was, then we could at least find realistic means to cure it! :|

Aside from that..other conditions like chemical imbalance could be cognitively attributed from it like clinical depression, ADHD, emotional outbursts, and so on. I mean not an easy condition to deal on an everday basis what with all the sensory issues, learning differences, and the struggles with socializing verbally and non-verbally among those who take these social gifts for granted. I mean a person could go crazy depending on how much it affects them in their everday life!

I-ron_Man
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2009, 8:10 am

No, I cant stand religion, mainly due to the catholic schools i was sent to trying to shove it down my throat. And maybe many of us don't want to believe that it is a curable dysfunction because we dont think anything is wrong with us and dont want to be 'cured'(or maybe thats just me?). As for them treating it as a religious thing, maybe there just using it as a figure of speach?

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2009, 9:36 am

I'm not.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 12:09 pm

I could really, really care less about religion. I grew up as a Lutheran, but I never did enjoy going to church. Heck, it was almost torture for me to go. My bf doesn't care about religion either. We both actually have the exact same views on religion in general.

kissmyarrrtichoke
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jul 2009, 8:54 am

I'm christened but consider myself Jedi.
I worship movies, not any God, and the Star Wars films played a major part in my development so I believe Jedi sums me up more than Christian. The cinema is my 'holy building' I guess, I love it, and I rarely go to church now except for Remembrance parades, cos at 18 Christingles have lost their appeal, and I always struggled to sit still through services cos they didn't interest me. However I am not an atheist, I am undecided about God and don't like pondering it cos it overwhelmes and frustrates me.
But good for those who find comfort in their religions the way I do with my films :)

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2009, 4:32 am

Not religious at all.

INTJ.

veks
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Jul 2009, 7:44 am

No. I am a former Hindu, but now I don't have any religion.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 9:49 am

I can't stand organized religion.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 9:49 am

quintus wrote:
I am a Roman Catholic. Logically, is conclude it's the only true Church. It was founded by Jesus Christ, and has the Apostolic Succession.

There are two possibilities; There is a God, There is no God.

Each possibility has two options: Lead a good life, lead a bad life.

Thus; there are four conclusions about death.

1. You've lead a good life, you're dead, and God will give you what you earned.
2. You've lead a good life, you're dead, and that's it - end of story.
3. You've lead a bad life, you're dead, and that's it - end of story.
4. You've lead a bad life, you're dead, and God will give you what you earned.

Just for the chance, I would say, a smart person would not want to miss the chance that there possibly is a God.

There is absolutely nothing logical about that assumption in bold above, and your subjective 'facts' are open to a great deal of dissection and debate. Your argument has been tried before for many decades; at best, I find it an attempt to coerce people into acting in a desired manner with nothing to do with actual spirituality. For the record, this person considers himself at least somewhat smart and with no need or cause for your religion; when you make comments like that, you are loading them with implied insult.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 5:33 pm

Atheist from the start, though born in a religious family. I don't believe much of anything, but my understanding of the research on AS and ASDs is that fundamental neurology and genetics are very likely involved.

Separately, I agree with makuranososhi in the analysis above of quintus' statement about Roman Catholicism as the one true Church. I would add that philosophers from ancient times to the present are still trying to define what it means to lead a good life, thus further weakening quintus' idea above.

cc469
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Aug 2009, 6:46 am

probably unlikely...
I'm some sort of pantheist or deist or agnostic I don't know

Doc_Daneeka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2009, 10:15 pm

Religion is a sort of intellectual dishonesty. Belief without any sort of evidence is just bizarre.

Bertrand Russell's celestial teapot provides the perfect analogy.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 9:50 am

I don't believe in a god, and I never have, for a few reasons.

Firstly, I don't believe in free will. I believe that life works in a crazy "butterfly effect" way; that in any given circumstance, there is only one option that an individual would ever choose (due to the fact that we are neurologically wired to behave a certain way in certain situations, and hence we are not random), and everybody's choices sort of overlap, and dictate our lives. So I believe that if the was a God, there is no "good life, bad life" side to things, no divine justice. He made us exactly how he meant to, and if anyone goes to "Hell" for all eternity it's due to His divine sadism.

Secondly, If god is the creator of all things, and has unlimited power (since he is the creator), why invent pain? Of course, to warn us of danger. Why invent danger? To add excitement to our lives, to contrast the good. But if he essentially created the universe, and hence controls the laws of logic, then why not contrast good with good? To say that pain is a neccesary part of life is stupid, because if there was a god there wouldn't need to be pain.

And Thirdly, if everything is there for a reason, what about tooth decay, metastatic melanoma, mad cow disease, fourth-degree burns, and of course, depression, an ailment which strips the world of any beauty.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Mainichi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2009, 2:58 pm

I'm not religious at all, I did grow up in a Mormon household and I hated a lot things about the Mormon church. I hated going and stopped going in high school.

Doc_Daneeka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Aug 2009, 9:19 pm

ryan93: The latter two arguments fall under the logical fallacy known as "argument from personal incredulity"...ie, "this doesn't make sense to me, and is thus wrong." They aren't really valid arguments against a theistic viewpoint. Far better, methinks, to just cite the utter lack of evidence for any of deity.

Trust me: arguments of that sort only open you up to claims that "Well, you don't understand the divine plan," and others of that ilk.

If you really want to cite the problem of evil as an argument, use the Epicurean formulation.

awmperry
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Aug 2009, 10:01 pm

God and I have an arrangement. I don't bother him, he doesn't bother me. After all, a being who's genuinely omnipotent... why would he need my adulation? A drunk on the street goes around picking fights to show how hard he is, but an ex-SAS squaddie will tend to be quiet and calm. He knows he's tough as nails, and doesn't need anyone else to tell him that.

So God might exist. Or he might not. I'm nominally Protestant, agnostic tending towards atheist, and while I concede the possibility of a god or gods, I see no reason for them to affect the lives or afterlives of ordinary humans in any significant way.

Speaking of afterlives, isn't the thought of an afterlife the most terrifying prospect imaginable? Eternal oblivion would be better, rather than being destined for an eternity of... well, who knows? And you don't even know which religion's dicta to follow, or even which ruels of your own religion. Which religion? Which faction? Which edition of that faction's rules? Whichever way you cut it, you'll end up with a good few points on your life licence. And even if you do pass the arbitrary scales of obedience test... well, I dunno, but I reckon sitting on a cloud playing a lyre could get dull after a couple of hundred years, and the universe could get pretty old...

So yeah. Agnostic, bordering on atheist.