Page 5 of 20 [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next

Doc_Daneeka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Mar 2008, 11:17 pm

blind-reaper wrote:
I'm not religious, I believe in God but I'm not oriented to any religion.

Does this mean that you are a Deist then, or do you believe in a personal god? I'm just curious.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 4:41 am

There's no god other than the one you believe in, and the god you believe in doesn't affect me at all unless you do.

I lack faith, spirituality, belief and whatnot (well, I kinda believe in love [that's similar to mine], but that's me wishing rather than believing in reality).

SDFarsight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2008, 8:03 pm

I'm agnostic, while the rest of my family (including twin brother) are 'new-life christian'. I can't bring myself to belive in the Christian/Abrahamic god when there are 100 other religions out there that can pitch their idea just as well.

Teoka
Raven
Raven

14 Mar 2008, 4:00 pm

Atheist aspie here ^_^ And I'm never going back!

Aspie score: 159 out of 200

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 4:25 pm

I'm spiritual, very philosophical/spiritual/occultist, somewhat agnostic, because in the end 'I don't know for sure' however sure I and and I'm aware of this shortcoming of experienced experience, but I never once connected autism to any of that matters. I don't quite believe in a soul, not the way this term is usually understood.

Autism has thus no meaning to me in spiritual matters. All thoughts about autism itself in religious/spiritual context are meaningless to me.

I like the medical side of it, it doesn't feel bad at all to see it like that.

graemephillips
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Mar 2008, 6:01 am

Bekkles wrote:
"AS doesn't have a physical grounding - God made me this way!"

Why do so many AS revolt against the idea that their condition is based in the brain, and is caused by brain dysfunction? Why do they think that it could not possibly be caused by chemical imabalances? That it can't be corrected?

The research is fairly new I suppose, so maybe people just haven't caught on. But I wonder how any AS could say that they just are that way, without any real, science-based reason.

(ps, I am religious, but I believe that God is a God of science.)

I used to be atheist, but that changed when I was 18. I am now what people would call a bible-bashing evangelical: - if anyone doesn't like that, then in the words of Catherine Tate, I ain't bovvered. Bovvered, face, bovvered, face, bovvered, I ain't bovvered! The question of why I have Asperger's syndrome didn't really enter my mind when I was deciding whether or not to give my life to Jesus Christ or not.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 1:59 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
There's no god other than the one you believe in, and the god you believe in doesn't affect me at all unless you do.

What does this mean?

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 6:13 pm

I am a Christian myself but in an odd way.

I'm a baptized Lutheran, a current member of a Lutheran congregation, but choose to make my own interpretations of the scripture rather then just accepting whatever my pastor says. He does not yet know I do this, and with any luck it will remain that way since we have vastly differentiating opinions on many topics (such as the importance of physical baptism, I do not feel it is necessary for someone to be physically baptized to have true faith, he does)

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 8:18 pm

The_Cucumber wrote:

I'm a baptized Lutheran, a current member of a Lutheran congregation, but choose to make my own interpretations of the scripture rather then just accepting whatever my pastor says. He does not yet know I do this, and with any luck it will remain that way since we have vastly differentiating opinions on many topics (such as the importance of physical baptism, I do not feel it is necessary for someone to be physically baptized to have true faith, he does)

Why keep it hidden from your pastor?

I mean, you can back your opinions up with scripture.

The bible says that there are many different types of believers making up the body of Christ. Some are given the gift of teaching, others preaching, etc.

And it says things like "if all were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be" (1 Corinthians). the bible does not allow for people to ever believe the same things, and if your pastor doesn't tolerate your beliefs, I would leave if I were you (that's an earmark of a dangerous cult).

The bible tells us to be like-minded, but never says to be same-minded.

JakeWilson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2008, 11:55 pm

I believe AS has some natural cause, but a natural cause directed by God.

graemephillips
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Mar 2008, 8:37 am

The_Cucumber wrote:

It is very odd you should say this as a Lutheran. One of the primary features of the Reformation was that people were able to follow their individual consciences when it came to the implementation of religion, rather than relying on church hierarchy for guidance. The freedom to come to one's own conclusions was one of the reasons Martin Luther translated the Bible into German. I particularly disapprove of a system where the scriptures are kept in Latin so that only the church hierarchy can understand them.

You are completely right to come to your own conclusions, as it is your relationship with God that matters, not your relationship with the church hierarchy.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 8:51 am

I gain insight from many religions, however I don't particularly believe in the fantasy aspects of them with the 'God' bit, so that would make me relatively agnostic. --People have historically attributed things that they cannot explain to supernatural forces, God being one of them.

Fred54
Raven
Raven

21 Mar 2008, 12:14 pm

100% atheist here, all religions are sects/cults and are scams

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 12:54 pm

Bekkles wrote:
"AS doesn't have a physical grounding - God made me this way!"

Why do so many AS revolt against the idea that their condition is based in the brain, and is caused by brain dysfunction? Why do they think that it could not possibly be caused by chemical imbalances? That it can't be corrected?

The research is fairly new I suppose, so maybe people just haven't caught on. But I wonder how any AS could say that they just are that way, without any real, science-based reason.

(ps, I am religious, but I believe that God is a God of science.)

I wouldn't want a curer since I don't believe I am broken, be it God, a random genetic chance, or a new quirk or evolution, AS is part of who I am, take it away and I would be gone. Its funny I have been treated for depression, and was on prozac, zoloft, paxil, and these would turn me into a suicidal zombie, I have absolutely no faith in a drug cure, since for these drugs the cure is worse then the condition. On the topic of religion, there is nothing wrong with what ever helps people deal with life, I am not their judge, and either is it for anyone else, be it believers of god, atheists, or agnostics which is what I am. I still live my life as a Christian, except for the god part, and consider myself to be very spiritual, and a firm believer in Karma. I believe that something may have created the universe, probably some mad scientist in another universe sneezed in a petri dish, who are we to know! :)

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 2:50 pm

I used to be a strict Roman Catholic.
But I rejected that sooo long ago.

I'm spiritual, but not organized.

Amarikah
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2008, 7:22 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Danielismyname wrote:

What does this mean?

Subjective reality.

As for me, my beliefs would make me Christian, Mormon- specifically. I've implemented a lot of Buddhism into my life as well. I've investigated a lot of different religions in what little time I've had to exist. I believe that everyone can make their peace with the after-life, whether it be with God or with science. Mine's with God.