Velociraptor

30 Mar 2008, 3:28 pm

morning_after wrote:
Pepperfire wrote:
morning_after wrote:
Pepperfire wrote:
morning_after wrote:

That kid's smart

Yep he is. And he's artistic and funny and he's got a great mom who knows and understands what it is to be an Aspie and rather than fight him to change him into being an NT, she is constantly embattled with administrators and teachers and others trying to get them to accept the way he is and the way he thinks.

Imagine how he reacted to being told to "pretend" something (grade 2, I think) after having been taught to never lie. I think it took his mom weeks to get him to understand that "acting" was entertaining, not lying. lol

He's one of my heros.

When he was two, he'd accidentally reformatted his Mom's hard drive. When he was four and I wanted to reformat mine, I couldn't remember the key strokes so I asked him. His response? Oh, no, I can't tell you that, it will erase your entire computer and that would be very bad. It took me about 20 minutes to convince him that it was really what I wanted to do and he gave me the keystrokes.

Compared to him... I'm superhighfunctioning!

That's funny. I used to pass just like that until I realized that passing really ate me up.

Nowadays, I just tell people what's up. I don't care.

That just recently got one of my coworkers mad at me, who thinks that I like to listen in on her (ironically, when she wants to have a private conversation, she's been told I cannot block out background noise and hasn't been shutting the door and does it when I'm in earshot). Sometimes the things she says, or the way she says them, bother me.

Omg, it's bizarre, when I was a teenager and young adult (read prior to 30), I was so horrified that I would say the wrong thing or do the wrong thing, now I just smile and shrug and if I horrify someone, I just apologize (even when I don't think I said or did anything wrong -- because it makes NTs feel better). And I get along easier. You should try it, it's the coolest thing.

As for people saying things because they know you're listening -- heck, be blatant about it, tell them you're listening outright, and simply close the door for her. hehe; it'll boink her out.

My Dad taught me an expression a long time ago... Revenge is a dish best served cold... and it really is.

I know. That's basically what I do. And their reponses can be funny when they no longer feel irritating.

lol, sometimes they actually get angry because they're frustrated that their tactics aren't having the desired puppet effect anymore. It is weird.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 4:36 pm

Well, if they get angry at us, it's not our fault. That's more or less the whole purpose of this thread. Whether or not people like us is never going to be something we can control. They should learn instead to respect us for who we are.

And, to be honest, when we cannot block out someone elses conversation and they've been told that, the only respectful thing they can do is take their private conversations elsewhere or at least close the door, not get mad at us for "snooping".

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 5:20 pm

morning_after wrote:

And, to be honest, when we cannot block out someone elses conversation and they've been told that, the only respectful thing they can do is take their private conversations elsewhere or at least close the door, not get mad at us for "snooping".

I never give any explanation, except for pointing at one ear and making a face. If you act like you have a disability they understand, i.e. partial deafness, they're much more understanding.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 8:10 pm

But do they ever balk at you for suggesting that you can hear them?

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2008, 2:23 pm

morning_after wrote:

Sure they must. It's like the person who sits down in a chair opposite you, and when they catch you looking at them, (how could you not?) they ask: "what are you looking at".

More often than not the correct response should be: You.

In the case of the "are you eavesdropping", the correct answer to someone who knows you can't help it is: You know I have asperger's, if you don't wish me to hear your conversation you must close the door. Otherwise, you have no expectation of privacy.

Forewarned is forearmed. Those who don't close their doors deserve to be overheard.

Take it up with the disabilities commissioner if you have a friend chum.

hehe. Sheesh, MA, you should be better at this than me. ;)

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 5:56 pm

disabilities commisioner?

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 7:54 pm

In the States, that'd be whoever in your company is responsible for EEOC matters. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, they can't discriminate against you because of your sensory sensitivities. And any coworker who creates an uncomfortable environment because of this issue is in violation, and could potentially be reported to the Equal Employment Opportunites Committee, same as someone who puts up Playboy centerfolds in their cubicle, or tells racist jokes where anyone else can hear.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 10:44 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
In the States, that'd be whoever in your company is responsible for EEOC matters. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, they can't discriminate against you because of your sensory sensitivities. And any coworker who creates an uncomfortable environment because of this issue is in violation, and could potentially be reported to the Equal Employment Opportunites Committee, same as someone who puts up Playboy centerfolds in their cubicle, or tells racist jokes where anyone else can hear.

Well, today, I didn't have any issues, but then I didn't deal with her.

MJIthewriter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2008, 3:35 am

This is a nice topic. I'm having fun reading it, especially the comebacks to say to rude NT's.

Should we add Bullies to the list of NT's to be cured?

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 8:35 am

morning_after wrote:

No, more often than not they just repeat what they said in the same tone of voice.
Which is pointless.
The Missus and I went to one of those salad buffet places, and one of the girls was noisily re-stocking the plates.
Kid at the register "You want MMmm MMmm MMmm?
Me "What?"
Kid You want MMmmm MMMm MMmm?
Me "What are you asking?"
Kid "Mmmm MMmm MMMm"

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 11:08 am

MJIthewriter wrote:
This is a nice topic. I'm having fun reading it, especially the comebacks to say to rude NT's.

Should we add Bullies to the list of NT's to be cured?

People suffering from Bullyism will have no choice but to be cured.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 11:10 am

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
morning_after wrote:

No, more often than not they just repeat what they said in the same tone of voice.
Which is pointless.
The Missus and I went to one of those salad buffet places, and one of the girls was noisily re-stocking the plates.
Kid at the register "You want MMmm MMmm MMmm?
Me "What?"
Kid You want MMmmm MMMm MMmm?
Me "What are you asking?"
Kid "Mmmm MMmm MMMm"

So they make fun of your ability to hear them?