Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 11:35 am

Stomping on labels for us UNIQUE people? Don't feel too bad about it, everybody is labelled in one way or another. When did AS people corner the market on uniqueness and declare it their sovereign territory? A person can be unique for far worse reasons than AS.

Here is another trend in AS culture I have issue with. This wallowing in self-pity, this narcisstic obession with our own differentness as a source of greatness. Other people who are not us are bad, so let's crap on them. Other people who are not us are probably us but they're too stupid to realize it. It's vanity. It's elitism, snobbery, and hypocrisy. It's everything we accuse the villanous NTs of being.

Look inward, AS Nation. Be honest about what you see.

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 May 2008, 12:01 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Stomping on labels for us UNIQUE people? Don't feel too bad about it, everybody is labelled in one way or another. When did AS people corner the market on uniqueness and declare it their sovereign territory? A person can be unique for far worse reasons than AS.

Here is another trend in AS culture I have issue with. This wallowing in self-pity, this narcisstic obession with our own differentness as a source of greatness. Other people who are not us are bad, so let's crap on them. Other people who are not us are probably us but they're too stupid to realize it. It's vanity. It's elitism, snobbery, and hypocrisy. It's everything we accuse the villanous NTs of being.

Look inward, AS Nation. Be honest about what you see.

I concur.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 12:53 pm

Is every moment of our waking lives that of lying, cheating, and stealing?

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 7:47 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Is every moment of our waking lives that of lying, cheating, and stealing?

There are good NTs too, of which I would otherwise not be alive today without.

sim
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 8:24 pm

I don't hate people who aren't "AS", per se, and I don't march about with the AS diagnosis either. In fact AS wouldn't be necessary at all to diagnose if we were living in a society ruled by ourselves. It's the general lack of consciousness present in 'everyone else', and by 'everyone else' I mean those whom are strictly products and copies of, well, everyone else. It's extremely bothersome to look at the world, to look at the people, and to be utterly incapable of knowing they're people, because they all act like tons of ants. And ants DO exist as lower lifeforms, they aren't as advanced as humans, because they're weaker, they follow chemical trails to singular destinations, they bring payloads to the queen. Yeah, this will be mistaken as conceit, egotism, and all that jazz, but I don't make this comparison with hatred, contempt, loathing, only with observation.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 10:57 pm

It's an aspergers/autism website you're saying this on.

You've got to remeber that we aren't saying we're the only unique ones, but this is an aspergers/autism website so it would make no sense to talk of bipolar uniqueness when the main focus is aspergers.I think everyone is unique really,

But if you're gonna complain about aspie 'uniqueness' then don't do it on a spectrum website.

not to say that you can't be bi-polar and schizophrenic or whatever to be on here, but the purpose of it is for people on the spectrum, so you're going to see...venting.

Beleive me, if you want self pity go to autism speaks or FAAAS.

I certainly don't hat NT's.I only use the world because i don't like the world normal, and alot of times i try to compare non-aspie behavior and aspie behaviour and i'm to lazy to write "non-aspie"

:)

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 11:19 pm

You're telling me how you view non-autistics as insects, lower orders of life, etc., and then say it isn't conceit? It's observation all right, observation of your own conceit.

Tell me how this doesn't make you look bad.

NOBS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2008, 2:42 am

Hi All;

NT's aren't BAD. Hell, I married one. In many ways, she is my window on the world. She is actually the person who recognized I have AS. Something she saw about talking to a person being the same as talking to a chair. Hrmph! In twenty years, I have taught her to comunicate on a rational basis. She accepts me for who I am, and has taught me much about how humans function. I would bet her IQ has increased in that time, and certainly I am less rough around the edges than I once was. I believe aspies ARE in many ways superior, but equally important, in many ways inferior. If this were not the case we WOULD be ruling the world by now.

Regards,

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 8:42 am

slowmutant wrote:
You're telling me how you view non-autistics as insects, lower orders of life, etc., and then say it isn't conceit? It's observation all right, observation of your own conceit.

Tell me how it doesn't make YOU look bad to think that I, and other people do see NT's as lower orders of life, and that we wallow and self pity.Tell me how it also doesn't make you look bad to call us all elitist ETC.
You can't just assume that because a person says " it's an aspie website so lets talk about aspies" that they're conceited.
If you had a site about cat's and other felids would you talk about dogs?
And would the cat-people be conceited to not talk about cats or parrots or lizards ETC?

Never said NTs are bad, but they're just not the main focus of this place.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 11:44 am

demoluca wrote:
Never said NTs are bad, but they're just not the main focus of this place.
Exactly. On WP, it is normal to be autistic and it is abnormal to be NT. What a wonderful website :)
I have nothing against abnormal (NT) people, but I prefer to spend my days among normal (autistic) people.

http://www.autscape.org/

dragonboy
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 2:41 pm

i like people for who they are, i dont understand labels

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 4:15 pm

I don't really either, i just use them so people know what i'm talking about.^^

sim
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 8:02 pm

slowmutant wrote:

Because I'm not being dogmatic in my observation, STRICTLY observation, only realistic. If some hidden power awakened in all "NT's" that proved they WERE better than us and DID deserve to make us feel like s**t all the time, then I'd quickly reconcile my OBSERVATION with reality to change US to the inferior ones. But as it stands, they act like ants.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 9:05 pm

Ants are the epitome of effiency & order in the animal world. Human society is in many ways inferior to ant society. Referring to NTs as ants isn't really the put-down you were aiming for.

Aspies are the superior race and NTs the inferior variant, you're saying. By whose reckoning? By our own estimation, AS people are superior to Neuro-Typicals. No other group would make that claim for us and about us. The Deaf Nation would say the same thing only about themselves. As would the vegans, environmentalists, organic farmers, evangelicals, etc.

I don't understand your need to feel superior. It's not good for anyone, this kind of thinking. It only leads to trouble. You should concentrate on finding the commonalities that link us all instead of pursuing this elitist bullsh*t. You are no better than your oppressors if in the process of winning your freedom from their tyranny you become an oppressor who tyrannizes.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 9:30 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Ants are the epitome of effiency & order in the animal world. Human society is in many ways inferior to ant society. Referring to NTs as ants isn't really the put-down you were aiming for.

Aspies are the superior race and NTs the inferior variant, you're saying. By whose reckoning? By our own estimation, AS people are superior to Neuro-Typicals. No other group would make that claim for us and about us. The Deaf Nation would say the same thing only about themselves. As would the vegans, environmentalists, organic farmers, evangelicals, etc.

I don't understand your need to feel superior. It's not good for anyone, this kind of thinking. It only leads to trouble. You should concentrate on finding the commonalities that link us all instead of pursuing this elitist bullsh*t. You are no better than your oppressors if in the process of winning your freedom from their tyranny you become an oppressor who tyrannizes.

so you're pretty much saying that you're way of thinking is better then the other persons, yet you're against elitism.

:?: :?: :?:

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 9:51 pm

I'm against elitism. I think that is a very destructive way. I do not present myself here as anything but the voice of reason. Reason and sanity.