Page 3 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 11:42 pm

velodog wrote:
You and other Teens are the first generation of Aspies that are going through as Aspies and how you conduct yourselves will affect subsequent generations. That's why a Pyrrhic Victory is unsat.

I'm sorry, but how is standing up for your rights and aggressively pushing back at the aggressors a 'bad' thing? I never understood this view that people like MLK, etc stated; to be moderate and not radical. I tended to agree with the Black Panthers and Malcolm X more often.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

10 May 2008, 12:04 am

Warsie wrote:
velodog wrote:
You and other Teens are the first generation of Aspies that are going through as Aspies and how you conduct yourselves will affect subsequent generations. That's why a Pyrrhic Victory is unsat.

I'm sorry, but how is standing up for your rights and aggressively pushing back at the aggressors a 'bad' thing? I never understood this view that people like MLK, etc stated; to be moderate and not radical. I tended to agree with the Black Panthers and Malcolm X more often.

Disrupt any class or social gathering you want. Assume any Teacher that desires order in the classroom is the enemy that must be crushed if you want to. Do the same on every job you ever get if that suits you.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 12:13 am

velodog wrote:
Disrupt any class or social gathering you want. Assume any Teacher that desires order in the classroom is the enemy that must be crushed if you want to. Do the same on every job you ever get if that suits you.

How does that deal with sueing :?:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic/trolling or not

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

10 May 2008, 12:28 am

Warsie wrote:
I'm sorry, but how is standing up for your rights and aggressively pushing back at the aggressors a 'bad' thing?

What specific right was violated here? As an Aspie do you have a right to disrupt a class in session because you did not get to sit with someone at lunch like you wanted to? Do the other students also have the right to disrupt class for similar reasons?

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 12:37 am

velodog wrote:
What specific right was violated here?

"Freedom from Fear"? Freedom not to be picked on by authority?

Quote:
As an Aspie do you have a right to disrupt a class in session because you did not get to sit with someone at lunch like you wanted to? Do the other students also have the right to disrupt class for similar reasons?

she disrupted after his blatantly sarcastic shot at her. He started this, and he has a reputation for this based off what others said. I've seen teachers intentionally provoke this type of thing and intentionally nag and b***h and pick on a few people, it affects all people, not just autistics. And it's not only autistics who would act this way, sometimes they aggressively turn and engage. Also note that often, the autistics aren't the ones who are disrupting class the most. Often it's a large portion of the class, a few people, the ghetto people, etc.

EDIT: Answering your question, I dunno. However, that is not the reason. Being a Pariah tends to spill over into other things. Thinking (rightly, who knows) that a majority of the people there hate you and are out to get you, and the like can affect you.

EDIT 2: Nice way of framing the argument

EDIT 3: Continuing on

from the OP
Quote:
"I lied my head on my desk to give myself some time to cool down. And it was working, too. But over from his desk, Mr. Crawford decided to take notice of me, in his typical, sarcastic tone... "

Crawford - Katie, are you done with your practice test?
Katie - *shakes head*
Crawford - Sleep on your own time and finish it.

This is what got the ball rolling. Crawford knows about my Asperger's and my Section 504 plan (like an IEP). He knows that I'm very sensitive and knows that talking to me like that would make things worse. "

EDIT 4:

velodog wrote:

Thank you for reminding me that Society needs radical change and workers' rights need to be reaffirmed by that joke.

10 May 2008, 1:01 am

Okay since you think we should have a special rule to disrupt class, then other people should be given the same right. There now, there is no special rules.

Oh I must be trolling then since I am serious and I believe aspies should be treated like everyone else, no special rules. Should I be allowed to speed in my car and not follow the speed limits? Should I be allowed to shove people out of the way at work if I am getting anxiety and I can't wait for the elevators anymore? Should I be allowed to vandelize people's property if they bullied me?

Last edited by Spokane_Girl on 10 May 2008, 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

10 May 2008, 1:08 am

Teoka wrote:
I came into AP Government, feeling depressed. You see, some of my friends decided to sit somewhere else during lunch. I couldn't find them, which was stressful, seeing as it was a change in my routine that I didn't expect or enjoy. In addition, they didn't invite me to sit with them, so even IF I had found them, I wouldn't have had the guts to ask to sit with them. I already had the sneaking suspicion that a couple of them had a problem with me, anyways.

I lied my head on my desk to give myself some time to cool down. And it was working, too. But over from his desk, Mr. Crawford decided to take notice of me, in his typical, sarcastic tone...

Crawford - Katie, are you done with your practice test?
Katie - *shakes head*
Crawford - Sleep on your own time and finish it.

I can't say much on what action we plan to take, but let's just say he's gonna have an example made of him >D

Because she couldn't have lunch with her friends, she refused to take the practice test. She was told to sleep on her own time and finish the test. She continued to refuse to take the test.

Then she refused to leave the classroom. Then the rest of the class vacated the classroom.

What part of this conduct will be construed as not disrupting the class?

What part of this shows Aspies in a positive light?

Do you actually believe that making an example of this Teacher will create goodwill between the other Faculty members and Aspies?

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

10 May 2008, 1:16 am

Warsie wrote:
velodog wrote:

Thank you for reminding me that Society needs radical change and workers' rights need to be reaffirmed by that joke.

I am a Union Member, we don't make a point of disrupting work just for the hell of it. Any of our members who do so can be sent to the E Board where they can be subject to fine, or in extreme circumstances, expulsion from the Union.

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 2:00 am

I don't think anyone here is questioning the need for teachers to be more compassionate and understanding. They should not be demeaning any student, with or without an IEP. But, none of us were there to see what "really" happened, and I can't help but wonder about certain things. The teacher's original comment to "sleep on your own time and finish the test" doesn't really sound that bad to me. Perhaps a bit abrasive, depending on tone of voice, but teachers are there to facilitate students' work. They cannot just stand there and say "okay" when a student blatantly is not doing the assignment.

I agree with this:

Quote:
But that's very easy to say from a distance, when I'm not the one suffering. I can't say that I've never gotten overwhelmed, or been depressed.

The past month or so I've been working really hard to understand that even though it sometimes seems like certain school administrators are against me in these kinds of situations, they're not. They want to help me, but they also have obligations to other people. I still think they could have handled certain things better, but I'm not going to hate them (as I did at one time) for not putting my wants and needs above everyone else's.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 8:21 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Okay since you think we should have a special rule to disrupt class, then other people should be given the same right. There now, there is no special rules.

cool; it happens all the time anyway. And normally it's NOT autistic people. However, you forgot what I quoted and strawmaned me:

"I've seen teachers intentionally provoke this type of thing and intentionally nag and b***h and pick on a few people, it affects all people, not just autistics. And it's not only autistics who would act this way, sometimes they [referring to the NTs] aggressively turn and engage [the teacher in arguments]. Also note that often, the autistics aren't the ones who are disrupting class the most. Often it's a large portion of the class, a few people, the ghetto people, etc. "

Basically the Autistics are less of a problem than other examples I referred to.

Also, if I had my way I would radically change and liberalize the education system in general.

Quote:
Should I be allowed to speed in my car and not follow the speed limits?

actually I would raise the speed limit in general to everyone as a law; especially given how they (local + state governments) use it to make extra money

Quote:
Should I be allowed to shove people out of the way at work if I am getting anxiety and I can't wait for the elevators anymore?

Hrm? Simply walk away from the situation, that's what I'd do.

Quote:
Should I be allowed to vandelize people's property if they bullied me?

depends on situation, but frankly I wouldn't blame you for it. Many have done WORSE in responses, autistic or not.

I don't see autistic people having n***a moments, for example. I've seen plenty of other people do that; African-American or not.

Last edited by Warsie on 10 May 2008, 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 8:24 am

velodog wrote:
I am a Union Member, we don't make a point of disrupting work just for the hell of it.

the OP isn't "disrupting work just for the hell of it". Nice Strawman :P

Quote:
Then she refused to leave the classroom. Then the rest of the class vacated the classroom.

What part of this conduct will be construed as not disrupting the class?

Sleeping and regaining composure before continuing the test. Mentally preparing herself.

Quote:
What part of this shows Aspies in a positive light?

nothing, but neither does it for the teacher

Quote:
Do you actually believe that making an example of this Teacher will create goodwill between the other Faculty members and Aspies?

based off the OP, no. But if what she said is correct the faculty already sided with said sarcastic teacher. So there is not noticeable loss; therefore a scorched earth policy seems less of a "horrible" thing if this is correct, or worse.

10 May 2008, 9:34 am

Okay I guess I took you the wrong way then Warsie since you said teachers act that way to everyone and not just autistics disrupt class. I guess you think all of them shouldn't be forced to leave class or the teacher shouldn't have the whole class leave you?

I guess the teacher could have been a little more friendlier instead of being sarcastic.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

10 May 2008, 9:57 am

Warsie wrote:

EDIT 4:

velodog wrote:

No strawman here, you brought workers rights into the discussion. I simply responded by telling you how my Union handles those who deliberately disrupt jobsites. If you believe that being an Aspie (or not an Aspie) gives you the right to refuse to take tests or otherwise meet academic standards to graduate then go for it. After you successfully finish High School with that formula, then you can mentally prepare yourself by laying your head on the desk and refusing to take tests while in College. And there should be no need to stop there, when you get a job just let them know that you are an Aspie and are therefore free to refuse job assignments at will.

Teoka
Raven
Raven

10 May 2008, 2:39 pm

You all can stop assuming things about what my motivations were right NOW.

I was NOT trying to disrupt the class on purpose. I already feel like everyone thinks I'm psychotic now; do you have any idea how hard it is to go to school now?! It turns out that more people who I thought were my friends think that I'm using my AS as an excuse to BS people. I figure that in time they'll learn, but as it is now, it's more painful than anything I've ever dealt with before. I'd like to note that those closest to me do not make those assumptions. My family, boyfriend, and close friends know how I'm different.

I was upset because my lunch routine had been changed and I felt excluded! I'm sure at least some of you can relate to that! I was originally going to be fine and calm down on my own, which I have only in the past few years been able to do on my own, but the teacher's sarcastic comment was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I wasn't trying to show aspies in a negative or positive light. I was just going about my day which was going horribly wrong. And as much as we all try, we can't hide the negative aspects about AS. We can try our best to show that we're not all bad, but no one is all good.

I would NEVER try to use my AS as an excuse for bad behavior. I wouldn't steal or shoot up the school and blame it on my AS. I wouldn't beat up my sister and blame it on my AS. I wouldn't speed through a red light and blame it on my AS. That's wrong and irresponsible. Aspies can do good and bad things separate from their AS.

And if you were wondering, Crawford tried to sugar-coat the story and left out every incriminating detail. Now, if he was really in the right, he should not have felt the need to change his story.

Aspie score: 159 out of 200

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 4:59 pm

spokane_girl wrote:
Okay I guess I took you the wrong way then Warsie since you said teachers act that way to everyone and not just autistics disrupt class.

cool 8)

Quote:
I guess you think all of them shouldn't be forced to leave class or the teacher shouldn't have the whole class leave you?

not forced, no.

velodog wrote:
No strawman here, you brought workers rights into the discussion. I simply responded by telling you how my Union handles those who deliberately disrupt jobsites.

by saying that, you are implying that she was deliberately "disrupting work just for the hell of it.". Or am I wrong :?

Quote:
If you believe that being an Aspie (or not an Aspie) gives you the right to refuse to take tests or otherwise meet academic standards to graduate then go for it.

how do you know she would not finish the test and get to it after reforming?

Teoka wrote:
You all can stop assuming things about what my motivations were right NOW.

Okay. I'll stop.

Quote:
do you have any idea how hard it is to go to school now?!

Thinking that everyone when they are friendly to you are trying to f**k with you/troll you? Afraid to go into the cafeteria (I RARELY go into the school cafetarias now; haven't gone there regularly since Sophmore year, thankfully I have a cool teacher that lets me and some friends eat in his friends; or I go to the computer lab and play games/work/eat there if possible/etc)

I go to a small school (~600 students); hwo big is yours?

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 6:49 pm

Teoka wrote:
I was NOT trying to disrupt the class on purpose. I already feel like everyone thinks I'm psychotic now; do you have any idea how hard it is to go to school now?!

I'm very sorry you have to go through that. I can relate and I know it's not fun. I'm a few years older than you and in college, but I've found that people are often less concerned about me than I think they do. Everyone's caught up in their own lives. I don't know if that's any comfort to you, but I thought I'd mention it.

Quote:
It turns out that more people who I thought were my friends think that I'm using my AS as an excuse to BS people. I figure that in time they'll learn, but as it is now, it's more painful than anything I've ever dealt with before.

That sucks, I'm sorry. I'm also sorry if my comments on this thread have come off as insensitive. You might want to think about different methods of disclosure for the future. Some people carry cards which explain what AS/autism is and how people should help in certain situations. It sounds like a pretty good system. I understand why you felt the need to disclose in the heat of the moment, but unfortunately that does sometimes lead others to think that you're trying to use it as an "excuse" even though you aren't.

I've tried to avoid the whole "people thinking I'm psychotic" thing by attempting to disclose when I'm in a calm state of mind. A few months ago I sent a letter to my dorm-mates telling them that I have AS and explaining to them what that is in a nutshell and how it affects me in relation to them. I told them that I was working on learning better coping skills, but that outbursts do sometimes happen, and they shouldn't be alarmed.

I don't know if any of this is actually of any use to you. I just wanted to say that I am very sorry if my remarks were insensitive, and that I've been in a very similar position.