Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

westernwild
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jul 2008, 9:37 am

Brunny wrote:
I think we're all anarchists at heart but how do you stop people from setting up a power structure to control people without yourself setting up a power structure to control people?

BINGO!! ! That has ALWAYS been the problem, and it always will be the problem. It will never be solved.

Life is not about waiting out storms, but learning to dance in the rain-Anonymous

That_Other_Guy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2008, 8:42 am

I think he's a teenager.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 8:48 am

I did enjoy the movie Rainman but, as my Mother would say, I took it with a pinch of salt (I tried eating salt once... eurgh). Raymond Babbit represents one of a mere 100 autistic savants in the WORLD. The chances of meeting a guy like this randomly are really low. It still surprises me how many people i have to remind that this is a FICTITIOUS story (my Dad for one) and that very few autistic people are like that. I do have a slightly freaky skill (I draw loads of buildings) but it is not nearly as shocking as a savant's skill because I am average intelligence... Sigh, when will people learn that autism is a SPECTRUM disorder?

(Ps. I am not yelling at you people just the world in general!)

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 12:00 pm

I just watched Rain Man and it was quite enjoyable. It actually gave me a new view on things like how my family feels sometimes about my behaviors and even how my friend Michelle is with her older sister. They actually based off the real Rain Man. I find the film gives you an understanding that Autism and the other spectrum disorders are not what everyone believes them to be at all.

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 5:42 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Why would anyone think an autistic kid could bring about the collapse of civilization?

Unless of course the said kid is the Antichrist revealed ... :twisted:

You know what would be funny? A movie about how a kid was so unbelievably nerdy that he awoke the Antichrist against him, and then he had to save the planet from being overtaken by bullies and sadists.

adverb
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2008, 5:04 pm

rainman was a good movie, but what sucked about it was that they called him autistic. the character was based on a real guy, kim peek, who is not autistic. dustin hoffman worked with him for a while in preparing for the movie, getting his mannerisms and such down pretty well. kim peek is interesting tho - you should read about him.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 2:57 am

Jael wrote:
Aurore wrote:
I'm trying to imagine an Aspie country. It would be extremely unorganized. And people would be late for everything.

Really? Are most Aspies disorganized and careless about time? I am very organized and very punctual. Even RIGIDLY punctual.

Me too. Good timekeeping is the only organisational skill that I have.
(Maybe it'd be a nation full of people who were always on time, but all missing something vital that they needed. :lol: )

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 5:03 am

adverb wrote:
rainman was a good movie, but what sucked about it was that they called him autistic. the character was based on a real guy, kim peek, who is not autistic. dustin hoffman worked with him for a while in preparing for the movie, getting his mannerisms and such down pretty well. kim peek is interesting tho - you should read about him.

Yeah, but they expanded it, to make Rain Man a "high-functioning" Autistic Savant; Hoffman worked with many Autistic individuals to get the communication and repetitive behaviours reasonably accurate for someone with Autism. And by my research, it's an accurate depiction of someone who displays most of the traits of Autism (eMedicine even states such).

It won't jive completely for someone with AS as they'll lack the verbal communication difficulties, and their repetitive behaviours won't be as marked [in most cases], but I can see people with AS seeing bits of themselves in Rain Man, especially when they become overwhelmed.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 12:08 am

Basically, you're talking about reality Vs Drama. No one wants to watch reality. They live it, and sometimes it's not easy. When they come to be entertained, they want drama. Drama has to be engineered. That's the difference.

btdt

Amarikah
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2008, 8:49 am

Seconded, beentheredonethat.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 8:58 am

windscar15 wrote:
Its worse than blacksploitation.
Mary Tyler Moore appealed to feminists in a reasonable way.
Most Spike Lee movies paint a realistic picture of the lives of African-Americans.
But when it comes to mental disabilities, the most we get is back-patting sob stories or back-patting and unrealistic depictions.
My friend has OCD and says the same thing about Monk.
Stuff like this always have the main character with said mental affliction use said disability to his advantage to solve a problem, thing is, this rarely happens,
That doesn't mean we shouldn't try:)

Quote:
nor would I even consider using my obsession with firearms to solve other than perhaps the overthrow of the state.

There are a couple of countries who could use your help out there.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 9:44 am

On the autistic person destroying the world/sob story thing:

I really wish people would quit writing stories about how 'mysterious' we are, or parent angst stories that just assume things about the disorder.

But I liked rainman, even though some of it was inaccurate. Dustin hoffman portrayed the character quite well, especially at the scene where Raymond screams about 'burning the baby', and where you find out that it was Raymond who sung charlie those songs and not an imaginary friend. :D

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 2:30 pm

Kim Peek has part of his brain missing, that's why he is the way he is, although he does have autistic symptoms. Whether this is linked or seperate, I don't know...

AngryJessman
Toucan
Toucan

31 Aug 2008, 9:41 pm

movies always over glamourise stuff, how many films have you seen where a point is made Clearly and obviously to make sure every viewer notices what point it tries to be put across, it can be annoying

and anyway, when it comes to rain man & Aspergers whatever, Aspergers has many Variables and Rain man is simply a model of a common aspie i guess

eigenvalue
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Sep 2008, 6:45 am

...and I buy my underwear at K-Mart. Raymond Babbit's savant skills in the film were a conglomeration of several autistics' skills, not just Mr. Peek's.

The worst thing about "Rain Man" was Tom Cruise. Both Tom and the character he played are unempathetic cretins.

DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 9:59 pm

well the movie was made in 1988. aspergers syndrome hadnt even been officially reconized yet.