Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AngryJessman
Toucan
Toucan

31 Aug 2008, 9:41 pm

movies always over glamourise stuff, how many films have you seen where a point is made Clearly and obviously to make sure every viewer notices what point it tries to be put across, it can be annoying

and anyway, when it comes to rain man & Aspergers whatever, Aspergers has many Variables and Rain man is simply a model of a common aspie i guess

eigenvalue
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Sep 2008, 6:45 am

...and I buy my underwear at K-Mart. Raymond Babbit's savant skills in the film were a conglomeration of several autistics' skills, not just Mr. Peek's.

The worst thing about "Rain Man" was Tom Cruise. Both Tom and the character he played are unempathetic cretins.

DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 9:59 pm

well the movie was made in 1988. aspergers syndrome hadnt even been officially reconized yet.

aj2500
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Sep 2008, 6:36 pm

I don't like rainman because it makes us seem like we're all that servere. House also had an episode with an autistic in it, except it was a nonverbal child. I think that it was worse than rainman except for when he said he envied the kid.

GoddessofSnowandIce
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2008, 9:16 pm

In 1988, when most hadn't even really heard about autism, it was a good movie. You have to remember that the internet (as we know it today) did not exist back then, so someone would have to have heard the term and then either asked a doctor about it, or borrowed a book from the library to have possibly questioned its authenticity. We also know that back then doctors didn't know as much about autism as they know today (and many of them are still clueless :P ).

Enjoy it for what it is, even with all of its flaws. The intentions were good, and it provides fun quotes for my husband and I to throw at each other when we've made a social goof, or our sensory is feeling particularly off.

I'll leave on a humorous note.
Q: What does Rain Man eat for lunch?
A: A Whopper at 4

:lol:

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 7:04 am

Don't confuse Autism with Asperger's, they're two different disorders, and they're around the same in prevalence (PDD-NOS is the most prevalent).

It's an accurate depiction of someone with Autism, not Asperger's.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 2:59 pm

windscar15 wrote:
Get rid of Jesus and the government.
Leave things to voluntary unions, read up on it yourself, get your nerdy heads out of 4-Chan and into some good books and sites.

Orwell's Animal Farm points out how easy it is to be corrupted by power, very rarely the next government changes anything for the better

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 4:49 pm

aj2500 wrote:
I don't like rainman because it makes us seem like we're all that servere. House also had an episode with an autistic in it, except it was a nonverbal child. I think that it was worse than rainman except for when he said he envied the kid.

but how exactly would one thing be able to show many levels of autism? its impossible.
it would also be as unfair to have only a HFA/mild autie or aspie in that thinking,because that would only show one side of it.
a programme with an LFA/obvious autie is different to milder hf auties and aspies in a lot of ways,but the same goes the other way,am dont relate well to programmes that are only about HF ways/life either.
though rainman at least was not chosen randomly to have a more obvious autist-as it was about stereotypical autistic savantism,so it isnt there to make all look a stronger form,as it is about a specific type.
if it was a programme about the spectrum and they only featured one autist,that would be bad.

Agrees with Danielismyname.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2008, 3:32 pm

Even so, people with the Asperger dx can be significantly affected (and I myself, diagnostically, would be right on the border between Aspergers and Autism). So it unnerves me that people are so readily disturbed at the images of the Rain Mans of the world, because they think it would make them 'look bad' or something. The answer to there being too few images of autism is to have more images of autism out there, not to cover up those that aren't like "your autism".

Besides, keep in mind that the character lived most his life in an institution. I still have to remind myself every time at a crosswalk when the Don't Walk sign goes up that I have to keep walking even though I've been doing it all my life; I could easily see myself in many of those situations that the character experienced, and while yes ideas about autism have been changing and updating over the years, and will continue to do so, that's no reason to disparage the movie or the character (unless the character is the character that is Raymond's brother, the jerk, who well deserves to be disparaged at least during most of the movie).

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 4:34 pm

windscar15 wrote:
Its worse than blacksploitation.
Mary Tyler Moore appealed to feminists in a reasonable way.
Most Spike Lee movies paint a realistic picture of the lives of African-Americans.
But when it comes to mental disabilities, the most we get is back-patting sob stories or back-patting and unrealistic depictions.
My friend has OCD and says the same thing about Monk.
Stuff like this always have the main character with said mental affliction use said disability to his advantage to solve a problem, thing is, this rarely happens, nor would I even consider using my obsession with firearms to solve other than perhaps the overthrow of the state. Tell you what, if you make a movie about an autistic kid who brings about the collapse of civilization maybe I'll enjoy it.

Amen.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 4:42 am

earthmonkey wrote:
The answer to there being too few images of autism is to have more images of autism out there, not to cover up those that aren't like "your autism".

Yep.

In filmed [fictional] media, one can find people of all levels of "functioning"; it's just that since people don't identify with one character from one piece of fiction, they discount his or her portrayal, even though there's most likely someone who identifies with it, just as that person identified with someone else.

I don't really identify with Mr. Bean, other than a few small things, but Lorna Wing says he's a perfect example of someone with Asperger's (HFA and AS being more alike than unlike to her), but I won't discount his character as an accurate depiction of someone with such, just because he isn't like me.

HD3H
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 5:30 am

Rainman sucks because they say that he have asperger's but really he have a much "worse" case of autism. Anyway if we are going to overthrow the goverment we are gonna need some serious planning 8)

And which goverment first. if we start with a little country we can build from there :P

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 5:49 am

Everyone in focusing on Raymond and Hoffman's portrayal- the movie is about the brother's transformation, brought about by his involement and interactions with 'Rainman'. He went from being a basic jerk who put money above all else, who could not love anyone (not girlfriend or father), to finding that love through acceptance of having an autisic brother.

Look for three or more options.
"I'm not too crazy about reality, but it's the only place to get a decent meal.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 8:05 am

HD3H wrote:
Rainman sucks because they say that he have asperger's but really he have a much "worse" case of autism

No, it doesn't say that he has Asperger's; it's said that he's an Autistic Savant, albeit "high-functioning". It fits HFA with associated special skills like calendar calculation. His speech is a little poor for HFA, but that's easily explained away due to his Savant abilities (his verbal ability took a hit).

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 8:41 am

Rain Man is just a movie, not a documentary on autism. It's meant to "entertain," so of course some things are exaggerated.

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 8:44 am

Oh, and anarchy is just stupid. Not many of you would last very long without the protection of a society. Plus, we wouldn't have things like computers or the internet.