Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Jul 2008, 12:41 pm

As many of you have already heard, this past week talk radio personality Michael Weiner, better known on the air as Michael Savage, made several outrageous remarks in regards to autism, including, "Now, you want me to tell you my opinion on autism, since I'm not talking about autism? A fraud, a racket…I'll tell you what autism is. In 99 percent of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out. That's what autism is. What do you mean they scream and they're silent? They don't have a father around to tell them, 'Don't act like a moron. You'll get nowhere in life. Stop acting like a putz. Straighten up. Act like a man. Don't sit there crying and screaming, idiot."

Remarks like these spread ignorance about autism and threaten to return us to a previous era where parents were blamed and labeled as "refrigerator mothers" for having autistic children. Not only have Michael Weiner and Talk Radio Networks refused to retract these outrageous comments - they have added to them by claiming, unsupported by science of any kind, that the autism spectrum is an overdiagnosed medical condition. This is part of a broader pattern of statements attacking people with disabilities and our families.

Details are here: http://www.wrongplanet.net/article373.html

Below you will find contact information for Talk Radio Networks' largest sponsors and a sample letter for you to use as a reference point in your e-mails and phone calls. We will be keeping an updated list on our website here and will post updates and changes to contact information as new information becomes available.

Sample Letter:

"To Whom It May Concern:

As a member of the disability community, I am outraged by the recent comments made by Talk Radio Networks' host Michael Alan Weiner, also known as Michael Savage, stating that autism is "a fraud...a racket...In 99 percent of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out. That's what autism is." Not only have these comments not been retracted but Talk Radio Networks continues to stand by Michael Weiner as he continues spreading public misinformation about autism. Autism is a very real developmental disability affecting millions of Americans. Public ignorance and prejudice against people with disabilities represent one of the most significant obstacles to full access and inclusion of people with disabilities throughout society. I urge you to take immediate action and pull your financial support from Talk Radio Networks and The Savage Nation Radio Show in response to these hateful comments."

Contact Information:
ABC, Inc.:
VP Advertising/Sales Mike Shaw
Phone: 212 456-7272
[email protected]
VP Public Relations Kevin Brockman
Phone: 818 460-7756
Fax: 212-456-1424

Acura:
Acura Public Relations
Mike Spencer, 310-783-3165
[email protected]

American Express:
Leslie Berland
[email protected]
American Express
P.O. Box 981540
El Paso, TX 79998-1540

Boca Java:
Stefanie Hochstadter
[email protected]
1-888-262-2528
Boca Java
730 South Powerline Rd.
Suite D
Deerfield Beach, FL 33442

Campbells:
Campbell Soup Company
Campbell Place
Camden, NJ 08103-1701
Phone: 800-257-8443
Phone: 800-871-0988

Citrix:
851 West Cypress Creek Road
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309, United States
Americas PR
Jason Wyse
Americas Senior PR Manager
Phone: (786) 449-3740
Email: [email protected]
Eric Armstrong
Director, Corporate Communications
Phone: (954) 267-2977

Dish Network:
CEO Charlie Ergen: (303) 723-1010
CEO assistant: (303) 723-1005
EchoStar Satellite L.L.C.
Attn: Corporate Communications
9601 S. Meridian Blvd.
Englewood, CO 80112
[email protected]

Ebay:
Alan Marks
Senior Vice President Corporate Communications
Telephone: 1-408-376-7400
Fax: 1-408-369-4855

General Motors:
Andrea Canabal
General Motors, Northeast Communications,
Work: +1-914-244-6059,
Cellular: +1-914-391-6898,
[email protected]
Stockholder line: 313-667-1500

Gallo Winery:
John Segale
Gallo Winery Spokesperson
Work: 916-960-5341
Cell: 916-600-1081

Prudential:
Bob DeFillippo
Phone: 973-802-4149
[email protected]

Nestlé Purina PetCare:
Phone: 314-982-2577
Fax: 314-982-2752

Simon & Shuster:
Michael Selleck
(800) 223-2336
[email protected]

Staples, Inc:
Paul Capelli, 508-253-8530
[email protected]

Subway:
SUBWAY® Public Relations
(203) 877-4281
Les Winograd Ext. 1683
[email protected]
Kevin Kane Ext.1329
[email protected]

Volkswagen:
Keyes, Steve
Director, Press and Public Relations
Phone: 703 364 7650
Fax: 703 364 7071

penny07960
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jul 2008, 12:54 pm

Alex,

We should try to get mailing addresses for each company with the appropriate contact person included. Perhaps the WP legal department could assign a few paralegals the task of tracking this down. :)

Emails have far less impact than snail-mail. Company PR departments know that writing a "real letter" takes a lot more effort and therefore indicates more serious objections.

Penny

P.S. Also, 'form letters' have far less impact than individualized letters; personalizing the letter makes it far more potent. For example, “While I have in the past been an Acura customer (loved my Integra) I will not be considering Acura or Honda in my future car purchases so long as you continue to support Hate Radio …”

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 4:23 pm

Alright, enough is enough!

If you listen to the Savage Nation Show from the archives on Talk Radio Network, you would realize that the 1 minute rate that was taken by Media Matters was taken out of context over a rant on the over-medication of people by doctors and pharmacutical companies.

His opinions have lead to a good debate and there are some nuggets of truth in them. Many people in our society are being over-medicated, even autistics (and if you do not believe that, as Ann Bauer about the situation she had with her son). There is an over diagnosis of quite a few disorders for purposes of extra services and money (and more than autism). Not only that, but Autism Speaks has finally been silenced. His comments have put Autism Speaks in a very bad position. If they support Dr. Savage, they will lose the support of the parents. If they come out against Dr. Savage, then they are saying that they have been attacking those of us who are slightly/moderately affected by autism.

Finally, this is still the USA, the constitution still has the 1st amendment, and Dr. Savage is still entitled to his opinion and since the show is his, he can say it. If he is ripped off the air for hate speech, who is next? Can WP be brought down by Autism Speaks simply because we do not support their cause for eugenics? How about AFF, can they be brought down for simply protesting a cause to raise money for children? I would rather a society where Dr. Savage is allowed to speak his mind than a society where everyone must be politically correct.

In short, I do hope that the Savage Nation stays on the air and if he does lose sponsers, I hope that new ones take their place. His comments, although they seem hateful, actually help the discourse along and he should be applauded for taking a stand that others seem too scared to take.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 10:57 am

While I understand much of the outrage against Savage, I do not feel that we should do anything beyond pointing out that every bit of scientific research on the subject contradicts his views. He is clearly ignorant, and must therefore be informed of the truth. However no attempt should be made to take him off the air. It's his right, ignorant as it is, we cannot condemn someone for disagreeing with us if we don't want to be condemned for disagreeing with someone else (such as Autism Speaks).