Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 10:39 pm

Rynok wrote:
Punishment should be sterilization via a sharp knife and it would no longer be a problem :)

Then they'll use broomsticks and the like :twisted:

Might not be the best idea. Reminds me of the Rapex (not sure if right name) that Comdom/Bear Trap they made to insert in vaginas as 'protection' from rape. HAHAHAHA.

GoddessofSnowandIce
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jul 2008, 4:16 pm

I look at it this way--

Anyone who goes to Urban Dictionary looking for accurate answers to their questions is not intellectually equipped to handle anything but the garbage typed there. :doh:

Knowledge without wisdom is worthless. Information is only useful to those who know how to filter out the truth from the lies and then gather the various pieces to put together the full picture of fact. It's why so many ignorant people are so quick to believe the next media-hyped causes of and "cures" for autism. They don't go beyond the first widely-published statements in bold type to begin to question their validity.

I know sometimes it's hard to see things like this written and not want to believe that cruel things like this are being spread around, but at the same time you have to channel your awareness efforts towards those who have the intellectual capacity to comprehend the words being spoken AND a heart open enough to truly understand.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 5:29 pm

soljaboi51 wrote:
That person who claimed to be sexually assaulted is probobly not real.

Or if they are, they're really taking people the wrong way.

I mean... I was sexually assaulted by a guy with AS. But why on earth would I generalize it to all people with AS? It's not like I generalize it to all guys, or all white guys, or all straight guys, or anything else like that. I used to get a bit queasy and uncomfortable around people with his body type, but even then I recognized that as my problem, not as something negative about people with his body type.

It seems though like some people take that sort of thing as an excuse to generalize at the drop of a hat, and start hating all gay people (if the person who assaulted them was gay), or apparently all autistic people, and so on.) It reminds me of something I saw when I was reading a white pride board to get an idea how blatant white supremacists think -- and they had an entire thread that was for incidents where a black person did something they didn't like, and they said that proved all black people were dumb or lazy or incompetent. It was really pretty disgusting to watch. One person, even several people, is not proof of a stereotype. The existence of people who fit a stereotype does not justify its existence.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 6:17 pm

Rynok wrote:
HockeyJunkie wrote:
Assuming her story is even true in the first place, I think it's safe to assume she wasn't wearing anything resembling traditional Islamic garb on her date that night. ...you don't wear a miniskirt with nothing underneath if you don't want to suffer the consequences. Now just because some idiot can't control his carnal impulses, this wrist-cutting rape victim wants to go on a smear campaign.

What are you going to wear under that skirt? A steel chastity belt? I'm sorry, but if I was intent on raping someone a pair of panties wouldn't stand in my way for sure. Needless to say, I didn't read the article, but I don't believe in the "she deserved it, look at what she was wearing" attitude that people commonly get. Lots of people never go to court when they are raped because of this exact thing. It is commonly turned around on them and the rapist becomes the victim of their own uncontrollable carnal desires brought on by "the girl that wore a tank top" or "the girl that didn't wear anything under her skirt". Punishment should be sterilization via a sharp knife and it would no longer be a problem :) (the other problem, its hard to prove a "rape" case anyways. Was it consensual? Did she say "yes" and later change her mind? Did she say "no" but her body said "yes", but that way she could later say "but I said no" to feel good about herself? Was she drunk? Was she making bad decisions that led to the rape? Was she overly inviting and then got in over her head? Was she drunk and just doesn't remember saying "yes" at the time? Lots of questions like that get brought up) With the statistics out there though, its something like 1/5 girls is subject to being raped. Pretty bad odds, and unless its the same dude chances are at least a few of those doing the raping are aspies.

And then there are extremely high rates of sexual abuse towards people with developmental disabilities in general, although I bet many people dxed with AS aren't counted in those statistics.

I don't know where he got his figures, but Dave Hingsburger, when mentioning that, also said that among people who work in the developmental disability field as staff, that field has the highest rate of female sex abusers of any other field.

As far as what someone is wearing goes, it's very possible that she was wearing traditional Islamic garb. There are a lot of men who get really obsessive about what's underneath all that clothing and are more likely to rape a woman wearing it than a woman in revealing clothing. Also (in the case of men who tend to go after women in revealing clothing) in countries where women are generally more covered up, the definition of "revealing clothing" gets changed to things that in other cultures would be considered extremely unrevealing or conservative. And of course some people are determined to rape regardless of what someone is wearing.

None of which justifies rape at all -- just explaining that it's more complicated than one of the posters was making it seem.

JamesBond
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2008, 8:22 am

Ive described the ED article as juxtaposed to Wiki's article to two Dr's I know, mentioning attitudes towards people with AS on teh internets. Describing ED's article made me lol the most, wiki's is a bit more serious business. They mostly took notes & talked about IRL things.

Anyway, I've come from this type of PC failure

JamesBond wrote:
I wont link it, as of today its one of the most watched videos (its a crass advertisement, just a 10 sec clip of a gray scree with Aspergers is a lie printed on it)

I have AS (prof. diagnosis) and decided to join this forum and see what you all think about it

I visited the website and found it offensive.

to this type of fail

shloadance wrote:
It's just bloody satire. Quit being sensitive gits and move on. Despite being an aspie, I even find the ED article on Asperger's funny.

& I feel much better. :D

westernwild
Toucan
Toucan

01 Aug 2008, 10:04 pm

krex wrote:
Gee, you mean people don't like us....after 44 years on planet earth, I find this revelation simply shocking. 8O

The lack of serious intellectual discourse replaced by the cruelty of the posters, simply illustrates that there is a very real developmental disability in evidence...and it isn't AS . Exactly who are the ass***** ?

FAAAS Fascists at work again. Golly gee willigers, what a surprise. I've heard that they may very well have a booth at the very same nonprofit exhibit I'll be at at the South Dakota Festival of Books in Sioux Falls, SD, in late September; it'll be my very first public exhibit for the nonprofit. Believe it or not, I've already had to explain to some involved people that, yes, those of us who are adults with learning disabilities and AS have as many needs as children and teenagers, perhaps more, the needs just change.

I'm actually hoping they're there and that they WILL have a booth. Preferably near mine so I "enlighten" them for two days straight.

Life is not about waiting out storms, but learning to dance in the rain-Anonymous

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 5:37 pm

We have to do something about mean people.

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 5:48 pm

I think the definitions are rated on amusement, not on accuracy.

Learn to laugh at everyone and everything, including yourself.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 2:23 am

Anyone who takes ED or UD seriously is missing the point... that being absolutely nothing at all! Cheer up folks, angry responses are what these sites are aiming for, see 'lulz'

DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 8:34 pm

What losers. They are just trolls trying to piss us off!

pheonixiis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 1:33 pm

HockeyJunkie wrote:
Assuming her story is even true in the first place, I think it's safe to assume she wasn't wearing anything resembling traditional Islamic garb on her date that night. It's like the little kid who wanders into the backyard with the "Beware of Dog" sign posted on the gate. You don't provoke a mangy pit bull and you don't wear a miniskirt with nothing underneath if you don't want to suffer the consequences. Now just because some idiot can't control his carnal impulses, this wrist-cutting rape victim wants to go on a smear campaign.

Every time I think of dating again, it's stories like these that make me glad I'm single.

You need help.

-Walt Whitman