Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 7:23 pm

According to some sources I've read, the aspergian pride community modeled itself after the successful gay pride community.

This reminded me of an incident I experienced some years ago. A friend of mine introduced me to a friend of his, and as a passing comment he said, "By the way, he's gay." My immediate reply was, "I don't mind." And he said, "He doesn't care what you mind."

This taught me an interesting lesson. True tolerance is not about making a point of not minding. It's about not making the issue an issue.

Bunni
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2008, 10:11 pm

If he didn't want you to comment on it he shouldn't have said by the way he's gay....

That would be like introducing an AS firend and saying by the way he has Asperger's. Simply inappropriate to out someone that way.

Personal information should be one's own choice to reveal to others. Pride or not, who I sleep with, what my limits are in life, etc, are no one's business unless I make them so :)

Showing pride for who you are is fine, but you can't Make others understand, they need to be given enough information to learn, not set up to fail and feel foolish.

Just my opinion :)

That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger, and really pisses me off.

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 9:40 am

Well, later on I learned that this new guy was actually very open about his sexuality, so I doubt he would have complained. But you do have a point here.

SilverPikmin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2008, 11:07 am

That's exactly what I think.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 1:46 pm

Good points, first post and second :)