Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 9:25 am

Stereokid I remember the show, and I spent a good week on the boards at Dr. Phil's website advocating on behalf of Noah. Aspie or not, the kid said turn the volume down, the mother wants to act like a brat herself then wonder why her kid slaps her. I really haven't seen the show in such a long time, I forgot exactly what upset me regarding the situation with Noah and his mother. I think it was that it seemed like he was having to parent her, and when she was caught in bad behavior, she didn't like it. I think it's wrong for parents to act like children, then turn around and wonder why their kids are angry at having to parent their own parent.

AngryReptileKeeper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2008, 5:12 pm

Kinda reminds me of my mother. She'd always play her music so loudly in the car. I'd ask her to turn it down. She'd ignore me and turn it up. :evil: :evil:

I feel bad for Noah. The poor kid is desperate.

And slapping his mother and asking her how it feels? I find that rather telling.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 7:15 am

AngryReptileKeeper wrote:
Kinda reminds me of my mother. She'd always play her music so loudly in the car. I'd ask her to turn it down. She'd ignore me and turn it up. :evil: :evil:

I feel bad for Noah. The poor kid is desperate.

And slapping his mother and asking her how it feels? I find that rather telling.

Yup, a lot of the mothers on that show seemed out and out abusive to their kids. They were dancing around and supporting each other with pride, "Look at how I forced my child into compliance!" It's like gathering the mothers so they could create their own little bully clique against their children.

Lode
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Oct 2008, 6:02 pm

Ehm. Clips please :D

Dr. Phil is on TV in my country aswell, I think he's a fraud to be honest. I think alot of his guests are actors and EVERYTHING that happens on the show is staged.

edit: Ah, found some clips. Good stuff.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 6:32 pm

Lode wrote:
Ehm. Clips please :D

Dr. Phil is on TV in my country aswell, I think he's a fraud to be honest. I think alot of his guests are actors and EVERYTHING that happens on the show is staged.

edit: Ah, found some clips. Good stuff.

if you watch the doctors tv show, you can false medical information posed as fact in every episode - they even told people that diabetes was caused by eating too much sugar

Quote:

His mother reminded me strongly of how my mother, who was abusive, acted around others who had been told about her abuse - even had some of the same facial expressions. I believe the kid and think Dr. Phil would be quite surprised if he put cameras in their house, told the mother he was turning them on Friday, but turned them on monday instead and saw what was happening.

There was an episode on 20/20? once about a mother of twin adopted boys who was complaining they were out of control and even going to a psychologist wouldn't help. Everyone was believing that this was a good mother who just had wild out of control children. 20/20 set up cameras and soon found that the problem wasn't the boys - the mother and her bf were abusing the children. What they videotaped was enough to have the boys removed from her home. In one scene she whips the one boy because the dog peed on the couch and she accused him of squirting it with a water gun, in another scene she is whipping the boy and he jumps up and hollars when hit. Then the bf says "Now you've just got yourself 3 or 4 more of them" They also forced the boys to watch when they killed their pet goat. both boys also had diagnosed behavioral disorders but the mother wasn't giving them their medicine. Anyone know what episode I'm referring to? It would have been about 8-10 years ago

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 5:19 pm

"Dr." Phil is the one at fault. He is one of the biggest douches ever.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 6:42 pm

anbuend wrote:
Two articles about alleged discrimination by Dr. Phil towards disabled people (one who walks with canes, the other who was successfully treated for bipolar):

My Dr. Phil Nightmare: 'Special' segregation at the Dr. Phil Show

Hey, Phil, How's Discrimination Workin' For You?

And that's how he treats people who are presumably his fans (people who want to be in the studio audience). According to Wikipedia (I can't seem to click through to one of the sources cited), he was sanctioned for unethical behavior in 1989, and never regained his license to practice in Texas (it would've fulfilling a lot of requirements he never decided to fulfill), while he never had one in California at all. He's still represented as "Dr." because of his degree, but he is not actually licensed to practice (the network lets him do the show because it's considered entertainment, not psychology or medicine, so he shouldn't be viewed in the same light as practicing doctors).

8O I never really liked Dr Phil, now I have another reason to dislike him if that's how people with disabilities are treated when they're in the audience.

PhR33kY
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2008, 7:41 am

philosopherBoi wrote:
he has the brain of a mentally challenged brick on dope

Ho! I have to remember that line.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 4:35 pm

The fake doctor is at it, again. :roll: