Page 2 of 8 [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 9:29 pm

animallover wrote:
Orwell, do you know who the backer of 'PETA kills animals' is? I can't find it - I'd really like to support them, but not if their backer is the Safari Club or something . . .

Click the "about us" link at the bottom of their site. They're backed by the Center for Consumer Freedom.

Hbomb89
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Oct 2008, 9:57 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
Ok. First they tell us all to switch to breast milk, now they want to blame autism on cows milk? If cows milk did cause autism, the whole motherf**king planet would be a member here, because EVERYBODY DRINKS IT. Nuh-uh. These guys rank right up there with McCarthy and Savage on the stupidity spectrum.

Some people drink soy milk or goat's milk, but yeah, good point.

orngjce223
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2008, 10:26 pm

Heck, I'm vegetarian, can they lay off the mailings already?

And if drinking cow's milk is supposed to cause autism, I've only ever drank soymilk and that coming from my mother. Oh, and rice milk (which is, strangely enough, good).

Where am I now, anyway? Just... that's a stupid idea.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 10:32 pm

DiabloDave363 wrote:
can u send me the link to the exact article

The link was in my original post, but here it is again: Click here.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 1:16 pm

Peta Peeves topic

The Origin Of Autism, by Bessie, a Contented Cow.

Always drink upstream from the heard (and unseen)! ! [I borrowed and paraphrased this from Hartzofspace's signature. Seems appropriate here.]

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 6:23 pm

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read. How come my sister is the most NT person that I know, if we both drink cow's milk?

Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 5:56 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Useless peta...

03 Oct 2008, 7:44 pm

What a bunch of bull.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 7:47 pm

f**k peta lol

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2008, 1:59 am

I was a vegetarian for over five years and am still a supporter of animal rights, but PETA lies.

Perhaps they lie because they think if the cause is important enough (and I'll agree it's damn important) then they mean to win by any course of action that will bring any victories they can. They feel that if they throw enough BS at an issue, some of it is bound to stick and some people are going to switch sides.

My problem is that lying is counterproductive. When lies are found out or when they are patently obvious, then you get a backlash. Lying causes far more damage than good. People will switch off to your message and worse still, ignore anybody who is coming from a similar point of view in the future.

The truth is horrendous enough. By bringing in lies and deceptive methods, all you do is dilute that truth. People start to imagine that the true things they have seen may also be fabricated and then you have nothing.

PETA sucks. They have set back the animal rights movement by decades with some of the crap they have pulled.

I'd like to think it's because they are simply blinded by a desire to help out animals and not (as I suspect) by a desire to gain exposure to maximise funding and to feed some massive egos within the organisation.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 4:28 am

I'm a vegetarian too but even I know these guys go too far! Besides, cow milk makes me sick. Up with goat milk! (or does that cause deadly cancer... joke)

Alaras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2008, 5:05 am

That's why I retorted on their forums as Bacon_Covered_Fur_Mask

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 9:22 am

yeh and goats milk causes schizophrenia...not lol

Jenk
Toucan
Toucan

05 Oct 2008, 2:57 pm

They're either confused or more likely being purpousfully ignorant, scare mongering, very effective results no doubt.

Milk amoung other Casein containing dairy products seem to result in detremental symptoms for many Autistic individuals (Intolerance, allergy, leaky gut, opiate effect blah.) Thus this part is true "A link between dairy-free diets and improved autism symptoms."

Of course it doesn't cause it, however, avoiding dairy (milk in stints) growing up turned out to have legitimate explanations and proved a shrewd move for one so young.

Mostly I am glad I live in the UK. Our worst advertisments tend to be compensation based - "Have YOU had an accident in the last five months. WE can get YOU the money you deserve!" Not targetting disabled communities to advertise erroneous corporate beliefs.

sebbs
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Oct 2008, 9:04 am

hahaha

Cirrus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2008, 7:00 pm

PETA is an organization for the "ethical treatment of animals"; ethical media crusades not so much. It's disgusting to see an organization that's supposed to have a positive message destroy it through scare tactics and intentionally deceitful messages through the media to sell their ideals. I'm all for animal rights but not at the expense of human decency and the truth. Don't sell shock, PETA, sell the positive message instead of trying to scare the public into living your way. Do things the right way and maybe you can become a respected organizaiton again.