Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 11:31 am

violet_yoshi wrote:
KateShroud wrote:
Keith wrote:
Hell yeah, nothing more scarier and offensive than a person in a wheelchair... :lol:

No no. Blind people are scarier. If you've seen the movie Blindness with all those newly sightless people locked up together, you'd know what I mean. Some just went psycho.

The thing is that was a movie. Blind people deal with prejudice too, and they were outraged at their portrayal in that film. I think you should take a minute to realize when say "blind people are scary" it's the same prejudice people have towards us being Aspies.

I think its more todo with being blind, than being a blind person. Sudden blindness can be a horribly panic-inducing thing, unlike many disabilities, which are not quite so hard to deal with. People who could see but suddenly cant are liable to be scared. Scared people do scary things.

KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Austin, Texas, United States, north America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

29 Nov 2008, 5:29 am

violet_yoshi wrote:
KateShroud wrote:
Keith wrote:
Hell yeah, nothing more scarier and offensive than a person in a wheelchair... :lol:

No no. Blind people are scarier. If you've seen the movie Blindness with all those newly sightless people locked up together, you'd know what I mean. Some just went psycho.

The thing is that was a movie. Blind people deal with prejudice too, and they were outraged at their portrayal in that film. I think you should take a minute to realize when say "blind people are scary" it's the same prejudice people have towards us being Aspies.

I am blind, so I think I can make jokes about blind people. I mean those outraged people never actually went and saw the movie. See what I mean? But seriously I think the portrayal of a bunch of recently blinded and scared people was accurate enough for the most part. If a large group of people was forced into a situation like that, then things would get ugly. It's human behavior.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 1:36 pm

Macbeth wrote:
violet_yoshi wrote:
KateShroud wrote:
Keith wrote:

I think its more todo with being blind, than being a blind person. Sudden blindness can be a horribly panic-inducing thing, unlike many disabilities, which are not quite so hard to deal with. People who could see but suddenly cant are liable to be scared. Scared people do scary things.

As you may know, with how people write about Aspies who react to fear envoking situations, most people would rather attribute the behavior to that person's differences, rather than accept it as a part of human nature. For if they accepted that, then they would have to accept they are also possible of such actions.

Also if you want to see a interesting Night Gallery episode about sudden blindness, there's one called The Miracle at Camefeo where a guy tries to scam people, by pretending to be healed by the spirit. The spirit catches on to him, and blinds him with sunlight and gives him the blindness, a young boy was supposed to have in the episode. The actor who plays the scamming man, is such a great actor, that when he becomes blind it is one of the most chilling things I've seen. Like the first time I saw it, I was like "8O Oh my God!"

The episode is on the Season 2 DVD boxset of Night Gallery that was recently released, well at least to my knowledge. There's also a channel on DirecTV called Chiller, which plays re-runs of Night Gallery.

KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Austin, Texas, United States, north America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

29 Nov 2008, 4:54 pm

My point exactly. People usually get outraged over nothing, and since these blind people weren't flying around in red capes... Well I guess that makes them human. That by itself can be disturbing enough.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 8:35 pm

"it has disabled people in it? what if I feel to compassionate or too sad or want to poke fun at them? I don't want those feelings - better to put a warning in the advisory, so I get my guard up in time and feel nothing, cold cold nothing..."

it is a breach of human rights via discrimination.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 6:43 am

Firstly, most blind people aren't scary. Like any group of people, they are either nice, happy, sad, mean or rude so you can't generalize. I don't like the fact that they warned about the disability. Like it said in the article, you don't get a warning about films containing white/black/Asian people, so why disabled? Some people hate homosexuals (don't know why though) but movies don't carry a warning for that either.

By the way, I don't hate homosexuals!