Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Legato
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 7:39 am

You may have seen this already. If you have not, read it.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_11116100

Then send an email to [email protected] to convey the storm of frustration that is bound to come upon you. Dunno about you, but I'm not gonna stand for s**t like this.

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2008, 7:44 am

Quote:
In less-serious cases, labeled Asperger syndrome (the type Jacob was diagnosed with), victims can often speak normally and can take part in some normal interactions. But they don't sleep well. They have obsessions. They can't easily carry on normal conversations. They have difficulty making friends. And they have uncontrollable outbursts. Some of these children aren't diagnosed. They are simply termed "peculiar" or their parents are blamed for not controlling them.

I have all those traits. Does that mean that if my parents had killed me, people would have seen it as understandable? 8O And here I thought my life was worth as much as anybody else's...

I was sure the comments would be full of people complaining about the focus of this article... but instead they're mostly talking about funding for special education.

Legato
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 7:57 am

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt84861.html

My bad, there's already a thread on this. Email her nonetheless.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 7:58 am

"Autism is a maddening disorder of scrambled brain development that can lead some parents to snap,"

I'm really tempted to make this quote my signature... it's so hilariously stupid.

Zaraki
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2008, 8:08 am

Lene wrote:
"Autism is a maddening disorder of scrambled brain development that can lead some parents to snap,"

I'm really tempted to make this quote my signature... it's so hilariously stupid.
Can i have it too?

Nazi's will be Nazi's.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 8:17 am

Daniel has a scrambled brain.

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 9:31 am

I love that first comment, suggesting that voting for Obama was somehow against getting help for these parents. Apparently professional grifter Sarah "pro-special needs funding because someone's gonna pay for Tric's unbringin' and it ain't gonna be me" Palin and her anti-fruit fly crusade was the right way to go:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrNSg_Z1xcw[/youtube]

Really, watch the whole clip. Richard Wolffe is da man.

Why is it so excruciatingly impossible to have a sane, rational and informed dialogue about autism in this country? Oh that's right, because of emotionally-hypercharged fearmongering like this article. Thanks for reminding us who the enemy really is. And yes I'll write them.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 9:56 am

Zaraki wrote:
Lene wrote:

Can i have it too?

Nazi's will be Nazi's.

Huh? This has nothing to do with Nazis.

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 11:50 am

8O OMG! I always felt my mom had it in for me. Thank heavens we never ever had a gun or sleeping pills in the house. :twisted:
Are we so difficult to get along with that murder is somehow understandable (maybe even justifiable) in AS/Autism cases.
Perhaps they should delve into the industry that bilks families out of so much money for so little benefit. It seems it may be the severe financial strain these families are put into, and not so much autism that causes these people to snap.

missboots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Dec 2008, 1:10 pm

That article is just flat out sickening.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 1:34 pm

An 85% divorce rate among parents of autistic children...?

So my parents divorce IS my fault! All that BS they always say about it not being the kid's fault... but in my case it IS!

Freakin' fabulous.

y es como un semestre"

Zaraki
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2008, 2:43 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Zaraki wrote:
Lene wrote:

Can i have it too?

Nazi's will be Nazi's.

I called them Nazi's because they blame autism for the murder of a autistic boy,no better than the real Nazi's blaming the Jew's for the problem's of post-WW1 germany.

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 2:54 pm

Gina-gettoprincess,

Don't blame yourself for your parents divorce. Being a parent adds a whole other dimension to a relationship, and a whole new set of challenges. It doesn't matter if you have a healthy child, a sick child, or a child with autism anywhere on the spectrum. If these 85% of divorced parents had healthy relationships in the first place, then it wouldn't matter what it going on with their children, they would stay married. It was unfair to state that statistic in that article. People get divorced for many reasons, and it is total BS for someone to blame their divorce on their autistic child. That's just a way to transfer the blame to someone else. There are so many things profoundly wrong with that article, and that little statistic is one of them. Don't let those stupid, ignorant people get you down!

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 2:59 pm

It would be wonderful If I caused my parents to divorce. Then I'd never have to deal with both of them at the same time.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 3:18 pm

Quote:
In less-serious cases, labeled Asperger syndrome (the type Jacob was diagnosed with), victims can often speak normally and can take part in some normal interactions. But they don't sleep well. They have obsessions. They can't easily carry on normal conversations. They have difficulty making friends. And they have uncontrollable outbursts. Some of these children aren't diagnosed. They are simply termed "peculiar" or their parents are blamed for not controlling them.

"Victim?!" You wanna see an "uncontrollable outburst," call me a "victim" again. :evil:

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 3:22 pm

Zaraki wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Zaraki wrote:
Lene wrote:

Can i have it too?

Nazi's will be Nazi's.

I called them Nazi's because they blame autism for the murder of a autistic boy,no better than the real Nazi's blaming the Jew's for the problem's of post-WW1 germany.

That is quite a reach and you are plenty smart enough to know it.