What if there was a legal fast-food-eating age?

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 62,608
Location: Queens, NYC

10 Jun 2019, 9:40 am

Cereals tend to be "fortified" with varying amounts of vitamins and minerals. Something like "Product 19" is fortified with 100% of the "recommended daily allowance" of many vitamins and minerals.



Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,919

10 Jun 2019, 9:46 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Cereals tend to be "fortified" with varying amounts of vitamins and minerals. Something like "Product 19" is fortified with 100% of the "recommended daily allowance" of many vitamins and minerals.


It’s somewhat of a gimmick, though, to make parents feel less bad about giving their kids Lucky Charms.

Getting enough protein and fiber are more of a challenge when one is low income.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 62,608
Location: Queens, NYC

10 Jun 2019, 9:50 am

I agree with that. Protein is in meats----which are quite expensive (except, at times, for chicken).

Fiber is a challenge because many people don't like things like "shredded wheat."



BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,820

10 Jun 2019, 9:58 am

Thank you for the information Twilightprincess, the difference doesn't seem to be that significant.

I was being careful since this seems to be a very touchy subject with (some) Americans and considered a class issue. I worked since I was 14, I've been homeless and experienced significant poverty - I've had to learn through trial and error how to take care and feed myself properly, especially during times when I had to support myself through manual labour.


_________________
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley


Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,919

10 Jun 2019, 10:07 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Thank you for the information Twilightprincess, the difference doesn't seem to be that significant.

I was being careful since this seems to be a very touchy subject with (some) Americans and considered a class issue. I worked since I was 14, I've been homeless and experienced significant poverty - I've had to learn through trial and error how to take care and feed myself properly, especially during times when I had to support myself through manual labour.


It is considered a touchy subject and class does play a big role in it as well.

Feeding oneself during times of extreme poverty is a little different than feeding kids because then you have pickiness to contend with, you want and need convenience, and you don’t want to waste money on food that the kids won’t eat anyway.

Lots of parents get into a very unhealthy routine because of these factors.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 62,608
Location: Queens, NYC

10 Jun 2019, 10:11 am

Many people in impoverished urban areas don't have access to decent supermarkets which sell "healthy" foods at decent prices. There are supermarkets, all right----but they are usually at least rather expensive. And bodegas (convenience stores) even more so.

Many times, one needs a car to go to these supermarkets, usually located in some nearby suburb. It's not easy lugging a wagon full of groceries onto buses or trains (if there is public transit access).



BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,820

10 Jun 2019, 10:49 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
Thank you for the information Twilightprincess, the difference doesn't seem to be that significant.

I was being careful since this seems to be a very touchy subject with (some) Americans and considered a class issue. I worked since I was 14, I've been homeless and experienced significant poverty - I've had to learn through trial and error how to take care and feed myself properly, especially during times when I had to support myself through manual labour.


It is considered a touchy subject and class does play a big role in it as well.

Feeding oneself during times of extreme poverty is a little different than feeding kids because then you have pickiness to contend with, you want and need convenience, and you don’t want to waste money on food that the kids won’t eat anyway.

Lots of parents get into a very unhealthy routine because of these factors.


I know what you mean, I have a picky eater (aspie) son myself. You can work around it - I acknowledged already that it takes time, effort and a lot of patience (creativity and extra money don't hurt either). It's easy to forget when you're younger how much it's worth investing in your health before you get old.

kraftiekortie wrote:
Many people in impoverished urban areas don't have access to decent supermarkets which sell "healthy" foods at decent prices. There are supermarkets, all right----but they are usually at least rather expensive. And bodegas (convenience stores) even more so.

Many times, one needs a car to go to these supermarkets, usually located in some nearby suburb. It's not easy lugging a wagon full of groceries onto buses or trains (if there is public transit access).


Another good point, I've always been grateful for living in places with great public transport!


_________________
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 39,666
Location: Stendec

10 Jun 2019, 10:53 am

My doc put me on a more healthy diet, and my grocery bill shot up by 25%.


_________________
You don't have to be popular to be a good person, but...
You almost always have to be a good person to be popular!


Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,919

10 Jun 2019, 11:08 am

Fnord wrote:
My doc put me on a more healthy diet, and my grocery bill shot up by 25%.


I know the feeling. I invariably spend more when I’m trying to eat healthy. Cutting back on empty carbs and eating more nutritious food is going to cost more money no matter what.



shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Mar 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,771

10 Jun 2019, 2:01 pm

Age discrimination

Classism

Capitalism



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,545
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont

10 Jun 2019, 4:06 pm

I'm a very picky eater who loves fast food thou I'm not as picky as I used to be. When I was little people were worried I would die cuz of how little I ate due to my pickiness. I think it's much better for a person or animal to eat unhealthy than to starve themselves to death. That said I do think there's things that should be done to get people to cut down on fast food. There should be programs to teach healthy eating habits. Skewls could offer healthier food that doesn't taste like [email protected] to most people. Fast food companies could offer healthier alternatives & they could quit marking/advertising to kids. There should also be programs that encourage kids to exercise & be more active.


_________________
But I don't want to go among mad people, Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that, said the Cat: we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
How do you know I'm mad? said Alice.
You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.


shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Mar 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,771

10 Jun 2019, 4:28 pm

Fnord wrote:
My doc put me on a more healthy diet, and my grocery bill shot up by 25%.



:mrgreen:


Only twenty five percent?


The city where I live, contains almost zero grocery stores. Just liquor store.

If you live there and don't have a car, or time to shop, even getting to ghetto lil Food Maxx is not practical


Laws about food, disproportionately punish poor people

"Discrimination"

:mrgreen:



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,370
Location: temperate zone

10 Jun 2019, 4:37 pm

I would start walking the streets to give it up to strangers for McNuggets. And become a male "happy meal ho"! :(



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,545
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont

11 Jun 2019, 12:37 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I would start walking the streets to give it up to strangers for McNuggets. And become a male "happy meal ho"! :(
The "Happy Meal" is the major problem with fast food. It's marketed/advertised to chidren by the name & by including a toy from the latest children's movie. it also automatically comes with a soda instead of something more healthy like juice or water.


_________________
But I don't want to go among mad people, Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that, said the Cat: we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
How do you know I'm mad? said Alice.
You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 39,666
Location: Stendec

11 Jun 2019, 12:59 pm

nick007 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
I would start walking the streets to give it up to strangers for McNuggets. And become a male "happy meal ho"! :(
The "Happy Meal" is the major problem with fast food. It's marketed/advertised to children by the name & by including a toy from the latest children's movie. it also automatically comes with a soda instead of something more healthy like juice or water.
The default menu always points toward the more profitable junk food because it is cheaper and easier to make than healthy food.


_________________
You don't have to be popular to be a good person, but...
You almost always have to be a good person to be popular!