Is lidocaine effective for spinal/back pain?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 4:16 pm

I have a misaligned vertebrae in the middle of my spine (vertebrae T7, I think), which causes an aching and sometimes burning/stinging pain in my back. I think the burning pain is because it compresses a nerve.

I was wondering if the lidocaine cream we have would help for that type of pain? Tylenol already does help a bit, but it doesn't help with the burning sensation and I don't want to rely on it since it's not good for your liver to use it long term.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 4:31 pm

Is it sold for topical pain relief?

If it isn't then it probably can't be absorbed adequately.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 4:36 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

The container says it's a 5% lidocaine ointment and to apply a few grams of it to the affected area to use it, so I think it's for topical use.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 4:47 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

The container says it's a 5% lidocaine ointment and to apply a few grams of it to the affected area to use it, so I think it's for topical use.

It's worth a try. It won't make things worse.

Usually when I get back pain I just take muscle relaxers and smoke a bowl, but I don't have any nerves being pinched.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 11:18 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
It's worth a try. It won't make things worse.

Usually when I get back pain I just take muscle relaxers and smoke a bowl, but I don't have any nerves being pinched.

I tried it and it helped somewhat. It doesn't last very long, but it's definitely better than nothing. lol

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 11:25 pm

as one with similar back issues, i recommend 5% lidocaine patches combined with regular massage of DMSO into the area by a cooperative friend [can't really do it to yourself too well], alone with spinal traction by hanging by one's armpits in a suspended spare tire hung from a stout tree branch, or lacking that, a spinal stretch device one can order online consisting of a belt wrapped around one's waist [tightly] with the ratchet anchor tied in a door jamb, that is what i do.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 2:59 am

auntblabby wrote:
as one with similar back issues, i recommend 5% lidocaine patches combined with regular massage of DMSO into the area by a cooperative friend [can't really do it to yourself too well], alone with spinal traction by hanging by one's armpits in a suspended spare tire hung from a stout tree branch, or lacking that, a spinal stretch device one can order online consisting of a belt wrapped around one's waist [tightly] with the ratchet anchor tied in a door jamb, that is what i do.

Thank you for the recommendations! I'll try these out and see if they help my back pain.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 3:07 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Thank you for the recommendations! I'll try these out and see if they help my back pain.

prego :) i hope you have a cooperative friend who can massage the stuff into your back. with me, the lower back is reachable by my long arms but if it were mid back or higher i'd be SOL. the 5% lidocaine patches [doc's script required] last about a day, but the 4% ones you can get OTC only are good for a few hours at best, they don't seem to stick too well to the skin and forget about placing them where there is body articulation [bending/flexing]. don't use patches with things like camphor for too long as those can burn if used repeatedly in the same place, stick to lidocaine. when trying comfrey cream, stick to traumaplant brand as it is purified, lacking in toxic pyrrolizidine alkaloids which can mess up the liver and kidneys. be aware that med grade DMSO is less likely to have you temporarily tasting metallic garlic which the vet grade stuff ["horse liniment"] can impart. DMSO can also cause a temporary burning sensation, which can be avoided if you first use the comfrey cream.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 3:35 am

I don't have back pain, however i did research ways to alleviate back pain as associated with Degenerative disc disease for a friend.

The literature that i read up on advised that one of the best ways to alleviate pain caused by DDD was to use an inversion table.

Apparently 20 mins or so a day can give you a lot of relief. Perhaps that will be something worth considering.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 3:41 am

the inversion table saved my sister's back. but if you have any cerebral blood flow issues, proceed with caution. that is why i decided on a spinal traction belt instead.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 11:45 pm

Try cannabis topicals applied directly to that area on your spine that hurts as another option. While each application only lasts about 2 hours, but it starts to work in less than 30 seconds.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 1:37 pm

Thank you guys for all of your advice! :) I'll make sure to try the things you all suggested.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 4:05 pm

^^^good luck on your pain-control journey :star:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 5:10 pm

Do you do yoga?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 5:16 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Do you do yoga?

I actually have started doing yoga recently, especially before bed. It has been helpful for both my stress levels and my back pain, which is nice.

idntonkw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2021, 2:33 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I have a misaligned vertebrae in the middle of my spine (vertebrae T7, I think), which causes an aching and sometimes burning/stinging pain in my back. I think the burning pain is because it compresses a nerve.

I was wondering if the lidocaine cream we have would help for that type of pain? Tylenol already does help a bit, but it doesn't help with the burning sensation and I don't want to rely on it since it's not good for your liver to use it long term.

You need Physical Therapy (PT) to strengthen the muscles around the area where something is pinched by the misaligned vertebrae, in other words, weaknesses in surrounding muscles may be making things droop on that area and pinch it even more, so if you strengthen the surrounding muscles it can help unpinch that area.. https://physicaltherapyfirst.com/blog/2 ... exercises/ do these every other day for 30 minutes and eat some meat every day to build the muscles