Could i be addicted to Pepsi/Coca-Cola?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sErgEantaEgis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2012, 12:36 pm

I always have huge cravings for the stuff and can easily drink a whole bottle in a day...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 1:13 pm

You might be addicted to the caffeine inside of it, other then that maybe you just really like coke/pepsi.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 3:25 pm

Yes, you can be addicted to colas. The caffeine is addictive. Some people can also get hooked on the processed sugar and corn syrup used in making sodas, because that also produces a stimulating high. So sodas provide a double whammy.

The diet sodas are not an improvement, as the sugar substitutes used can have toxic side effects when over consumed, or in people who are especially sensitive.

The fizz in sodas is also bad. It causes calcium to leach out of your bones and teeth and get flushed from the body. In essense it dissolves them.

I suggest switching to healthier drinks with no caffeine, however, you will go through withdrawal symptoms from both the caffeine and the sugar for a while afterwards, so I suggest using a long weekend or vacation time to stop drinking soda.

Some of the alternatives are:

- Water--if you tire of plain, you can add some fruit juice, but pick one with no added sweetener.
- Juice with no added sweeteners
- Skim, lowfat, or 2% milk
- Soy, almond, rice, or oat milks. They come in plain, vanilla, chocolate, and some I believe have strawberry.
- Herbal teas--I really like peppermint tea.
- Postum--it is a caffeine free grain substitute for coffeine, but you should not drink it if you are sensitive or allergic to wheat and related grains.

There may be others I missed, but this is most of the alternate choices out there.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 4:01 pm

Even not drinking soda can't save someone from processed sugar........just look at the ingredients of most ketchup, non-pure maple syrup and the majority of packaged food ect. And I was not aware sugar withdraws existed, very interesting I will have to look more into this.

You are right diet sodas are not an improvement, sometimes they are even worse...and in my case the fake sweeteners they use make me nauseous.

Those are all certainly healthier than soda, and should be taken advantage of if one wants to go caffine/drinks with processed sugar free. Though I don't see anything wrong with regular milk espeically if it is organic and in fact strongly prefer whole milk to 2% or 1% or the cloudy water that is skim milk.

sErgEantaEgis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2012, 4:41 pm

Okay, but how can I know I'm REALLY addicted, like for 100% sure? And how long do I have to wait for the addiction to go? And can I drink soda ever again if it goes?

Venerab1e1
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2012, 5:21 pm

sErgEantaEgis wrote:
Okay, but how can I know I'm REALLY addicted, like for 100% sure? And how long do I have to wait for the addiction to go? And can I drink soda ever again if it goes?

If you go a whole day without drinking them and you get a nasty headache, then you're addicted. I know I'm addicted to the stuff because I drink 5 cans a day.

Last edited by Venerab1e1 on 27 Feb 2012, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 6:40 pm

Well it is up to you what you would want to do. But yes Venerab1e1 is right about the withdrawal symptoms so if you go without it for a day and experience that then you would be addicted. If based on that knowledge you don't want to risk becoming addicted again by drinking a soda here and there don't. Otherwise just drink soda on some occasions as opposed to how you stay hydrated throughout the day...because typically it takes regular to excessive use to cause addiction so a soda on some occasions should not cause any withdrawl of any sort at least in my experience.

eigerpere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2012, 6:50 pm

They say it leaches out vitamins and minerals from our bodies so either way it can't be good.

sErgEantaEgis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Feb 2012, 7:51 am

Venerab1e1 wrote:
sErgEantaEgis wrote:

If you go a whole day without drinking them and you get a nasty headache, then you're addicted. I know I'm addicted to the stuff because I drink 5 cans a day.

But sometimes I go for weeks without drinking it and I don't get any side effects...

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 11:42 am

I used to drink lots of cola each day (on average about 3-5 cans) and I decided to cut down on it. I initially stopped drinking it altogether for about 5 days as I went on a detox diet. I realised just how addicted to the caffeine I was as for the first two days, my headaches were so bad I felt sick when I stood up.

If you are addicted to cola (or any caffeinated beverage) you might be wise to gradually cut down on it before you stop (unles you know you can cope by going 'cold turkey'). I still drink caffeinated beverages but only in small quantities and I sometimes replace them for the decaf versions where possible. I have found that I am able to sleep much better and I don't feel as fatigued since doing this.

Venerab1e1
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2012, 8:27 pm

sErgEantaEgis wrote:
Venerab1e1 wrote:
sErgEantaEgis wrote:

But sometimes I go for weeks without drinking it and I don't get any side effects...

Then you aren't addicted.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 10:01 pm

Every time I see this thread it makes me want some kind of cola drink.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

eigerpere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2012, 10:02 pm

It kinda does have that effect. Not sure if it's the Pepsi or the Cola.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2019, 7:37 pm

I grew up drinking coke as the drink of choice.
Drinking it as a kid and then later as an adult, over certain periods of my life has definitely had a detrimental effect on my life.

The sugar rots your teeth, the acidic level erodes your tooth enamel, even the gas caused by carbonation is acidic.
The high refined sugar content also makes you put on weight super easy. The caffeine is extremely bad for causing and escalating anxiety.

I think it is likely that part of the secret recipe includes flavour enhancers that along with the other ingredients makes the beverage more addictive. This is the american way of free enterprise without censorship or moral constraint.
Not particularly clever and in hind sight i wish i had never experienced coke, even though i can honestly say that i have enjoyed consuming the beverage many many times, but at what cost?

I recommend you dropping coke full sugar and swapping it for water. unless you are underweight,
then consider swapping it for fruit smoothies, fruit juice and water (not together).

If you still want some fizz in your life, consider trying some of the no calorie soda's such as the pepsi max range.
If you live some where hot, i recommend trying soda and lime or soda and lemon (squeezed lemon or lime).

I drank that when i was in India which was during their summer where the temperatures were 45 degrees celcius
and nothing else would quench your first or make you feel better, as drinking cola would turn your saliva in your mouth into thick cola tasting syrup. not pleasant if you are sweating all day.

The caffeine also contributes to dehydration, so that can make you feel crap too, and dehydration when it is that hot can cause other bad health implications which includes even possible cause of death.

Yep. Lime Soda, nice refreshing and rehydrating, also with some nutritional benefit.
So is miles better. although you still need to wash your teeth, as even carbonated water has an acidic level that causes acid erosion to your teeth.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 1:31 am

It took me forever to kick my sugar addiction. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 4:44 am

I'm addicted to coke because I just love the taste. I can't switch to diet coke because it doesn't have the same taste. I've tried the new zero sugar coke but it didn't agree with me.