Constipation? -how do you deal with it?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 11:32 am

I'm prone to being constipated . I've had gripping pains since Monday, but haven't been able to go. Several Laxido have had no effect. Would welcome your advice,please.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 11:38 am

It looks like Laxido is the same thing I take (polyethylene glycol). Are you drinking enough water? It draws water into the intestines and if you don't drink enough water throughout the day it won't work. It also can take 12 hours to work.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 12:00 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
It looks like Laxido is the same thing I take (polyethylene glycol). Are you drinking enough water? It draws water into the intestines and if you don't drink enough water throughout the day it won't work. It also can take 12 hours to work.

My wee has been rather dark. I'm prone to being mildly dehydrated. I know it's interoception related.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 12:05 pm

firemonkey wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

My wee has been rather dark. I'm prone to being mildly dehydrated. I know it's interoception related.

Try to drink more water just by scheduling it.

Have you heard of/tried the thumbs trick for constipation? No idea if it works, but you could always be our guinea pig:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tiktok-const ... 59674.html

Simply make two fists and rub them together, thumb to thumb, for a “couple of minutes, a couple of times a day,” and you will have a bowel movement

I mean, it sounds stupid, but worst case scenario is that it's pointless. :mrgreen:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 12:14 pm

firemonkey wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

If you're dehydrated that can make you constipated, too. The scheduling thing funeralxempire suggested is a good idea. You can set alarms every hour or so to drink a bit of water, or find an app that'll tell you when to drink water.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 12:22 pm

firemonkey wrote:
I'm prone to being constipated . I've had gripping pains since Monday, but haven't been able to go. Several Laxido have had no effect. Would welcome your advice,please.

I have gut dysmotility flares, so I too am prone to constipation. I agree with the others that the first step would be making sure you are staying hydrated. Other things that help me include:
1) Eating soft, moisture-rich veggies like yellow squash or zucchini
2) Taking fiber gummies (they typically have Chicory Root Fiber (Inulin) as the first ingredient). I'm more likely to remember to take them because they taste nice :) Be sure to drink lots of water if you want this to work.
3) Taking magnesium supplements (this is probably my least favorite option as it can make me a bit nauseated, but it can be helpful in getting things moving).
4) Avoiding or reducing foods like white potatoes, white rice, popcorn, etc..
5) Reducing caffeine intake

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 12:41 pm

Thanks all of you.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 12:49 pm

Some magnesium supplements are basically mostly laxatives, pull water into your guts, make it softer, but if you take higher bioavailability form, it might improve your intestine smooth muscle function.

Our gut is essentially a muscle that must work 24/7 and if you don't have proper balance of magnesium and other electrolytes required for proper contraction/relaxation cycle it can get cramps or fatigue just like skeletal muscles.

Fiber isn't necessary a solution, depending on current diet it could be part of the problem by creating too much bulk and needing a lot of water.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 12:55 pm

If you have any pains in your stomach/guts you should really talk to a doctor. If you have any other symptoms like fever or vertigo, you should call ambulance immediately.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 12:57 pm

I would go to your GP about this.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 12:58 pm

badRobot wrote:
If you have any pains in your stomach/guts you should really talk to a doctor. If you have any other symptoms like fever or vertigo, you should call ambulance immediately.

^This. If something feels OFF, definitely seek help!

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 1:34 pm

My physical health isn't terrible, but also it's far from A1. I have chronic lower backache which kicks in after walking a short distance, and if I stand up too long. I usually wake up with backache and sometimes hip pain. The hip pain feels like it might be due to inflammation. I've got an appointment with the orthopaedic team on account of my balance being worse. My balance and coordination have never been good. My (s) daughter says I walk like I'm drunk.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 1:47 pm

firemonkey wrote:
My physical health isn't terrible, but also it's far from A1. I have chronic lower backache which kicks in after walking a short distance, and if I stand up too long. I usually wake up with backache and sometimes hip pain. The hip pain feels like it might be due to inflammation. I've got an appointment with the orthopaedic team on account of my balance being worse. My balance and coordination have never been good. My (s) daughter says I walk like I'm drunk.

Have you been to a neurologist for the balance/coordination symptoms?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 2:06 pm

Fairly recently my (s) daughter made an appointment for me to see someone about it. She came with me, and helped to explain things. The advanced nurse practitioner said my physical health issues had been overlooked. That's par for the course if you have a SMI. She mentioned referring me to the neurology team then.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 8:52 pm

Was looking quite yellow this morning. Managed to go this afternoon. Facial colour is back to normal.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 9:49 pm

Try looking up "kaiser symptom checker".

Last Thursday, 7pm, seven servings of exotic bean salad. 10 pm bed. 2am woke up and urgently had to bowel movement. Bed. 6am woke up and urgently had to bowel movement.

Good thing I live alone.