Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 8:52 am

I have been working out at the gym like a madman for the last few months and my weight has skyrocketed as a result.

Here are my current stats

Height 5ft7.5
Weight 226 lbs
Body fat percentage 24.8

Judging by my current stats do you think I need to slim down a bit or am I find the way I am?

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 9:02 am

Jamesy wrote:
I have been working out at the gym like a madman for the last few months and my weight has skyrocketed as a result.

Height 5ft7.5
Weight 226 lbs
Body fat percentage 24.8

Judging by my current stats do you think I need to slim down a bit or am I find the way I am?

I'm not a huge fan of diet culture (I believe it can be toxic and make it even harder to get healthy), so I may not answer this the way others would prefer.

I think it depends on a lot of different factors, and you may want to consider the following questions before making any decisions:

How are you feeling overall?
Is your health suffering?
Is your weight causing you any physical pain?
At what weight have you felt your best?
Are you happy with the way you look/feel?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 9:04 am

Flown wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Height 5ft7.5
Weight 226 lbs
Body fat percentage 24.8

I'm not a huge fan of diet culture (I believe it can be toxic and make it even harder to get healthy), so I may not answer this the way others would prefer.

I think it depends on a lot of different factors, and you may want to consider the following questions before making any decisions:

Well I guess putting on a lot of weight makes me look shorter in appearance

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 10:11 am

Jamesy wrote:

Height 5ft7.5
Weight 226 lbs
Body fat percentage 24.8

Congrats on sticking with it. Be aware that while you are working out regularly, especially like a madman, there is a lot of swelling going on in muscle tissue, depending on your regimen, up to half of your weight gain might be water. Every time you workout some of your muscle tissue cells are marked for breakdown, but if workout again before full recovery, more cells are marked for breakdown. So if you are overworking, your net weight is actually lower than your current weight.

You can lose half of fat, you will look much slimmer, but visually better proportions and muscle definition would make you look more imposing, probably make impression of taller figure.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 10:33 am

badRobot wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Height 5ft7.5
Weight 226 lbs
Body fat percentage 24.8

Congrats on sticking with it. Be aware that while you are working out regularly, especially like a madman, there is a lot of swelling going on in muscle tissue, depending on your regimen, up to half of your weight gain might be water. Every time you workout some of your muscle tissue cells are marked for breakdown, but if workout again before full recovery, more cells are marked for breakdown. So if you are overworking, your net weight is actually lower than your current weight.

You can lose half of fat, you will look much slimmer, but visually better proportions and muscle definition would make you look more imposing, probably make impression of taller figure.

I wonder what weight I should aim to cut down to?

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 10:51 am

Jamesy wrote:
badRobot wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Height 5ft7.5
Weight 226 lbs
Body fat percentage 24.8

I wouldn't stress about weight at all. Weight is not a real goal, you should aim for strength and/or appearance. Losing some fat percentage most likely will improve you proportions visually no matter what your total weight is. If you are seriously trying to look as good as possible, you should consider proportions. Schwarzenegger was really smart about it, he was criticised about some underdeveloped muscle groups, but it was deliberate on his part, he was sculpting his body as an artist to achieve proportions making him look taller and bigger than he actually is.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 10:54 am

badRobot wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
badRobot wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Height 5ft7.5
Weight 226 lbs
Body fat percentage 24.8

I wouldn't stress about weight at all. Weight is not a real goal, you should aim for strength and/or appearance. Losing some fat percentage most likely will improve you proportions visually no matter what your total weight is. If you are seriously trying to look as good as possible, you should consider proportions. Schwarzenegger was really smart about it, he was criticised about some underdeveloped muscle groups, but it was deliberate on his part, he was sculpting his body as an artist to achieve proportions making him look taller and bigger than he actually is.

Didnt Arnie take steroids?

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 11:06 am

Jamesy wrote:

It doesn't matter. The point is he was smart about proportions and looked much taller than he actually is, it has nothing to do with steroids, steroids didn't make him actually taller or something.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 11:11 am

badRobot wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

It doesn't matter. The point is he was smart about proportions and looked much taller than he actually is, it has nothing to do with steroids, steroids didn't make him actually taller or something.

hes 3 inches shorter than he was in his prime currently

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 11:13 am

Jamesy wrote:
badRobot wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

hes 3 inches shorter than he was in his prime currently

Normal aging + he was lying about his height.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 4:16 pm

Flown wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Height 5ft7.5
Weight 226 lbs
Body fat percentage 24.8

I’m feeling great but could use some sleep
I don’t think my health is suffering outside of cholesterol (that’s due to medication)
My weight isn’t causing any pain and I can move around well
I felt my best in the 210 to 220 pounds range
I’m happy with how I look and I feel good. I look awesome in my clothes.

....that is a better way to view it before jumping on the diet culture train.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre