Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2021, 11:43 pm

I had a funny turn the other week. I started shivering a little bit (it wasn't particularly cold), then it got worse, so I lied down on the floor. By this point I was shaking quite vigorously. I was having slight difficulty swallowing and felt a little nauseated. I'm pretty sure I was conscious for the whole time.

It calmed down after about 20 minutes.

Anyone got any idea for what could have happened? I'm stuck for ideas.

Thanks.
steve30.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 12:12 am

Hypoglycemia would be my first guess?

starrytigress
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Oct 2021, 6:51 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Hypoglycemia would be my first guess?

I don't think that's it. I have hypoglycemia, and it doesn't just go away on it's own. You need to eat something or drink something with sugar in it for it to calm down. If not it proceeds to vomiting (at least in my case) and fainting (in general). Other symptoms are weakness, rapid pulse, excessive sweating, headache, and light-headedness.

That being said, this is something that happens to me from time to time, which is what I get way too exhausted, but don't stop and rest, I do get tremors. Kinda like my body is telling me 'we need to lay down NOW!'. This typically happens for me at night when I have trouble disconnecting from whatever it is I'm doing to go to bed. It normally recedes after I go to bed, but I don't know how long it would take, I've never timed it before.

As for the trouble swallowing part, well, I know when I get stressed I feel like I have something stuck in my throat. And when I'm excessively exhausted I feel nauseous too, which resting for a bit also helps. I've had some nauseous spells where I lay on the bathroom floor for an hour or so, until it resolves itself to the point I'm not worried I'll puke immediately. Just remember, stress (and by extension exhaustion) will mess up pretty much everything in your body.

If it'll alleviate your worries, I suggest talking to a trusted medical professional. I don't know if my answer is enough to make you feel better, or if you need a more concrete, scientific answer.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 7:42 pm

I have Hypoglycemia too. I wondered about the fact it went away on its own but the symptoms pretty much line up with what I experience. My other guess would be Dehydration, possibly. I've passed out from it before and it makes me shaky / dizzy. Sometimes the episode resolves on its own without me even getting a drink.

Everyone's body chemistry acts differently so it's hard to say.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2021, 8:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of hypoglycemia. Its a possibility, but might be an odd one as I don't have any history of diabetes or similar.

I had wondered if it might have been some kind of seizure, but again, I don't think its very likely as I was conscious through it, and it went on a bit too long for that. I also have no history of seizures.

I'm thinking the most likely scenario is that it was something psychological. I have been suffering with depression recently and seem to have got various physical symptoms from that. I have also had physical symptoms from anxiety before. Its amazing what weird symptoms the brain can make up for you!

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 8:52 pm

steve30 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of hypoglycemia. Its a possibility, but might be an odd one as I don't have any history of diabetes or similar.

I had wondered if it might have been some kind of seizure, but again, I don't think its very likely as I was conscious through it, and it went on a bit too long for that. I also have no history of seizures.

I'm thinking the most likely scenario is that it was something psychological. I have been suffering with depression recently and seem to have got various physical symptoms from that. I have also had physical symptoms from anxiety before. Its amazing what weird symptoms the brain can make up for you!

Hypoglycaemia is low blood sugar levels. Ordinary people do experience them. Untreated diabetes patients DO NOT, they experience high blood sugars - hyperglycaemia - instead.

starrytigress
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Oct 2021, 9:37 am

steve30 wrote:

You don't need to have diabetes. I don't, but I've had hypoglycemia since I was six. My body just isn't that great at regulating how much insulin it produces. It can also happen if you've gone a long time without eating.

But given what you've said about dealing with depression, I'm also of the opinion it might be more psychological. I mean, the chemicals in our brain are responsible for regulating everything in our bodies, so if those chemicals are off, then it stands to reason something else might 'malfunction' in the body.

I also have a friend who has bipolar depression, and occasionally he has catatonic seizures because of it. I'm not suggesting that what you experiences was a catatonic seizure, but it is an example about how a mental condition or state can significantly impact your body.

If there doesn't seem to be a reason I just blame stress, because that's usually what it is. Unless it's that time of the month and then I blame my uterus, but normally I just blame stress.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 12:22 am

I may have hypoglycemi, I read about it a little bit.