Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 3:15 pm

For about a month or two I've been spitting out food thinking it's rotten, stale, or otherwise disgusting like eating wet grass. It's not everything I eat, but it happens at least one or two food items per day (sometimes all food items), and I can seldom finish food anymore even if it tastes OK.

I notice it especially with dairy but also fresh bread, veg, soups, and biscuits.

I'm starving most of the time but when I eat I literally spit things out in my hand and check the sell-by dates. Nothing has been expired but it all tastes that way.

Any ideas?

At first I thought I had Covid because they say it alters your smell / taste. I almost went for a test but I had no other symptoms. Now it's been 1-2 months. I wonder if I'm long-hauling without knowing it? My sense of smell seems fine except for food -- which smells just as rancid as it tastes.

Fading away,
Issy

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 3:27 pm

I had that for a few months when I had covid. I was in bed for 21 to 23 days back in early jan 2019. My toothbrush turned black.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 3:29 pm

That is a pretty common symptom.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 3:34 pm

I keep reading about it as a long-haul symptom called Parosmia.

I can't imagine that I had Covid without knowing? I never leave the house and I've essentially been on lockdown since March 2020. All I can think is that my boyfriend was away in the summer and flew home mid-August. He quarantined for a week after flying. I don't remember being sick. I had Pfizer vaccines in April and June.

I could ask my GP but it seems there's no treatment for it, and even if I had Covid I wouldn't test positive now.

I'm throwing away food by the pile. It's so frustrating and expensive because I'm also starving.

* chucks a roast beef and gravy * :(

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 3:44 pm

There was no COVID in 2019. It was actually named on December 31, 2019. It was probably confined to China at that point.

What you're describing, Isabella, could be many things. Perhaps consulting your GP might start the process of getting some answers.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 3:48 pm

Your taste will return. :)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 3:48 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I keep reading about it as a long-haul symptom called Parosmia.

I can't imagine that I had Covid without knowing? I never leave the house and I've essentially been on lockdown since March 2020. All I can think is that my boyfriend was away in the summer and flew home mid-August. He quarantined for a week after flying. I don't remember being sick. I had Pfizer vaccines in April and June.

I could ask my GP but it seems there's no treatment for it, and even if I had Covid I wouldn't test positive now.

I'm throwing away food by the pile. It's so frustrating and expensive because I'm also starving.

* chucks a roast beef and gravy * :(

Keep in mind how some people are infected but asymptomatic, the next class of cases would be only borderline symptomatic, like what you might have experienced based on what you've described.

Incubation period is 1-14 days from time of infection, 14 days is the recommended quarantine period according to the CDC.

A month or two actually does provide a window that coincides with when your BF quarantined for a week, no?

Without being to test there's no way to confirm but as a non-expert layperson it seems reasonable to conclude that you likely suffered a mild, breakthrough case.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 3:50 pm

It's terrible that you can't enjoy your food.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 3:58 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There was no COVID in 2019. It was actually named on December 31, 2019. It was probably confined to China at that point.

Quote:
The earliest known person with symptoms was later discovered to have fallen ill on 1 December 2019, and that person did not have visible connections with the later wet market cluster. However, an earlier case of infection could have occurred on 17 November. Of the early cluster of cases reported that month, two-thirds were found to have a link with the market. Molecular clock analysis suggests that the index case is likely to have been infected with the virus between mid-October and mid-November 2019.

So, essentially as you said, it had been around for a few weeks before it was named and probably hadn't spread beyond China yet.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 4:22 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Incubation period is 1-14 days from time of infection, 14 days is the recommended quarantine period according to the CDC.

A month or two actually does provide a window that coincides with when your BF quarantined for a week, no?

Without being to test there's no way to confirm but as a non-expert layperson it seems reasonable to conclude that you likely suffered a mild, breakthrough case.

Damn.

Just to clarify, he didn't quarantine with me. He stayed home for 8 days after flying, just to be safe, before I went to his house. He didn't go out in public for 2 weeks.

He didn't have any symptoms and although he had been in Vancouver which had a Delta spike, his flight wasn't listed as having cases.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 4:32 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Damn.

Just to clarify, he didn't quarantine with me. He stayed home for 8 days after flying, just to be safe, before I went to his house. He didn't go out in public for 2 weeks.

He didn't have any symptoms and although he had been in Vancouver which had a Delta spike, his flight wasn't listed as having cases.

Right, but no known cases isn't quite the same as no cases and people with mild cases with no symptoms or minimal symptoms are likely to dismiss it as a cold, supposing they're noticed at all.

I'd imagine a lot of gaps in contact tracing are the results of people who are no sicker than a mild cold spreading it to other people who also remain very mild but still spread it.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 6:23 pm

There's another side to this:

Suppose all those people who had "slight colds" all just had "slight colds?"

I've had a couple of these episodes, and tested negative. One of these was just before my prostate surgery.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 6:25 pm

I had viral bacterial pneumonia in April 2020. I haven't even had a cold since then. Not a sniffle.

I've had a UTI for about six months. It won't respond to meds and it's given me fevers.

Would that be related to Covid?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 6:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There's another side to this:

Suppose all those people who had "slight colds" all just had "slight colds?"

I've had a couple of these episodes, and tested negative. One of these was just before my prostate surgery.

Considering corona viruses are one of the causes of colds a slight cold caused by COVID 19 would just be a slight cold, only it would be a cold where the person is spreading COVID. Unless one is tested they don't know what virus is causing their cold.

It's possible that Isabella wasn't exposed but the symptom of parosmia following a cold isn't typical of colds but is typical of Covid.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 6:34 pm

I'm reading that they don't recommend antibody testing anymore because it's so inconclusive.

So I guess I'll never know.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 6:36 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'm reading that they don't recommend antibody testing anymore because it's so inconclusive.

So I guess I'll never know.

I hope food goes back to tasting normal soon. I'm grateful I only experienced that problem mildly and intermittently (like a few ruined meals over the course of a month, I only noticed it off and on).

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う