Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 7:17 am

A lot of people (especially men) can leave serious medical conditions until it’s to late by not seeing the doctor. What I don’t get is why the NHS don’t make it mandatory to have a health check up every couple of years?

Health conditions like diabetes for example are such a huge drain on the NHS and this problem could be prevented if they made checkups compulsory.

Do you agree with me on this or not?

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2021, 1:56 pm

No. While check ups can be helpful, they have to target them to certain types of condition and certain demographics; e.g. breast cancer screenings for women of a certain age, learning disability annual check ups, etc. If you give everyone a check up, you will end up seeing far too many people who have nothing wrong with them, and that will take resources away from people who are actually ill. As ill people already cannot get the treatment they need in good time, seeing people who have nothing wrong with them will only worsen the situation.

There is no real way of making it compulsory. What happens if you don't go? A criminal prosecution from the already overstretched criminal justice system? A fine, so you can't afford to buy food and make yourself even more ill?

If we had a much better health system with far more doctors, then doing screenings for more people probably would be beneficial, but it is not feasible with the NHS in its current state.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 2:24 pm

Most private medical services offer annual 'check ups' where they do your blood work and check your mobility, bmi and stuff like that.

It would be lovely if the NHS could offer something like that - not compulsory, that's too much - but available to all if they want it. Trouble is the NHS is chronically underfunded and short staffed. It's a wonderful thing when you need it, particularly in an emergency but it doesn't have the resources for preventative care.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 2:35 pm

I have compulsory check ups once a year because I'm on ritalin for adhd. If I don't go for my check up they stop my meds.

Well I suppose its voluntary in a way but compulsory in another way.

I hate it but I know My meds work so that's why I go.