Why do some people NOT have bad breath?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 7:01 pm

Some people with bad oral health I mean.

My boyfriend has bad oral health, he hardly ever cleans his teeth and his smokes and drinks a lot of coke and beer, and his teeth are all rotting. But he doesn't have any bad odour on his breath, unless he's eaten something spicy (but that's different).

How come all that bacteria and rotting teeth doesn't smell?

I've had a mouth infection all week and I don't think I've had bad breath with it but I was panicking in case I might develop an incurable case of halitosis or something. I've always been self-conscious about my breath smelling. When I was a child I used to put my hand over my mouth when I talked because I was terrified my breath might have smelt or something.

I hate halitosis. It's like the person with it can never smell their own breath but everyone else gets random whiffs of it. It's so embarrassing.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 8:11 pm

the alcohol kills the germs in his mouth? :lol:

it is a mystery though if yours doesnt smell

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 8:20 pm

If he smokes, it may be covering up the odor. If you live with a smoker long enough you get "nose-blind" to the smell. The alcohol to will act as mouthwash, which also cut down on bacteria and odor.

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Sep 2022, 11:59 pm

Many reasons.

For me its food.
Some food makes your burp more, makes unable to digest properly.
Other factor is portion of food.
I loved drinking milk. Drank a liter of milk in one sitting.
Guess what. It was not good. I have stopped drinking milk.

Changing food I also noticed a different body odor.
If for instance I stank after being sweaty, now I have lot lesser odor.
I am not sure what in the food made that difference, but it certainly something.
I am currently eating vegetarian.
Aiming to transition to plant based.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 4:09 pm

DanielW wrote:
If he smokes, it may be covering up the odor. If you live with a smoker long enough you get "nose-blind" to the smell. The alcohol to will act as mouthwash, which also cut down on bacteria and odor.

But I once knew someone who drank and smoked and he had foul breath.

My boyfriend doesn't drink alcohol every day but he drinks sugary sodas every day.

The only time my breath did smell when I had a mouth infection (oral thrush, to be precise), was one morning after I'd drank milk. I asked my boyfriend to be honest with me if he could smell my breath because I needed to be aware. But after I'd cleaned my teeth he said he couldn't smell my breath any more and he hadn't smelt it since. So that's a relief.

I still worry that I might be one of those unlucky people who just randomly get halitosis and have bad breath for the rest of my life no matter how good my oral hygiene is.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 6:15 am

It's not only about oral hygiene.
There's also the gut itself, the throat, the nose, and even the glands.

I can name a few reasons of having bad breath outside oral hygiene -- having stuff on the throat or neck like tonsil stones, having stuff on the nostrils like sinusitis (not my case though), taking certain medications, internal infections, the gut which includes acid reflux, diet (this includes going keto), metabolic disorders (this also means those with diabetes)...

I'm not unlucky enough so far.

As for not having bad breath, it's by not being dry with not enough saliva apparently... And not having any underlying issues outside oral health and hygiene.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.