Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 2:46 pm

Two days ago I had a filling. I have a wonderful dentist who was able to do the work without giving me an anisthetic as my body reacts to the adrenaline or other ingredients in the injections. It is amazing what they can do these days!

Now I was getting shutdowns outside the dentist before I went in due to anxiety, so I was on the floor, so though my dentist and everyone are lovely, after I had my tooth filling done, I did not really want to go back as there was a slightly sharp edge to the tooth. (It looked fine in the mirror, but it was rubbing against my tongue.
Now it did not need much to sort it out so rather then risk getting more shutdowns at a later date I thought "I know. Lets see what I can do just to sort the edge out. This edge was not the side of the tooth that was filled so I did not need to be concerned quite so much that I would disturb the filling itself.
So I set to work. I have the tools for model railway use! I took a small flat needle file that did not have a pointy end (As I did not want to stab myself!) and I filed the sharp edge down a little... Just enough after two or three attempts to be just about right.
Now the edge felt filed so it felt slightly rough on my tongue, so my experience with making my own track came into play. I know with track, that while building it, if I have to file the top surface, I need to polish up the filed area later to give it an almost mirror like finish, and this is done with a rail cleaning rubber, so I used the rail cleaning rubber on my tooth.
I admit that it does not taste very nice, but I soon got the side of the tooth lovely and smooth!

Success! A wrinse out to get rid of the taste of the rail cleaning rubber and all is fine! And it has saved me from having more shutdowns which has to be a good thing! :D

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 2:55 pm

I've had fillings that feel like that, and I'm also usually too scared to go back to get it fixed and deal with the anxiety. I think I actually still have some adhesive from my braces on the front of some of my teeth, because when the lady told me to tell her if there was any I just wanted out of there so I said "no", and I've been too scared to go get a dental cleaning. lol

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 4:18 pm

My mother has used a nail file on her teeth for most of her life, with no problems.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 4:24 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My mother has used a nail file on her teeth for most of her life, with no problems.

Why does she use a nail file on her teeth? I'm curious.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 4:37 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Why does she use a nail file on her teeth? I'm curious.

When she was growing up in the depression she did it to save money. She just kept doing it to save time / energy going to the dentist because she doesn't like having to sit still for appointments. She's always on the move.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 4:42 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
When she was growing up in the depression she did it to save money. She just kept doing it to save time / energy going to the dentist because she doesn't like having to sit still for appointments. She's always on the move.

Ohh, so she does that instead of going for dental cleanings? That makes sense.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 4:43 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Ohh, so she does that instead of going for dental cleanings? That makes sense.

She does go for cleanings and fillings and stuff when needed. She doesn't completely ignore her dental health, but even her dentist said that it's OK to file her own teeth if and when needed. It's never caused any pain.

I wouldn't do it myself though! lol

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 4:45 pm

My dentist has a new light thing which does not effect me like the old one did.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 7:55 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
She does go for cleanings and fillings and stuff when needed. She doesn't completely ignore her dental health, but even her dentist said that it's OK to file her own teeth if and when needed. It's never caused any pain.

I wouldn't do it myself though! lol

Ohh, thank you for the clarification! I'm glad it works out for her, that seems like a smart idea if the dentist says it's okay for her and it keeps her teeth healthy.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 7:55 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
My dentist has a new light thing which does not effect me like the old one did.

I absolutely hate the light thing they use. Even with the sunglasses they give me it's blinding.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 9:09 pm

very skillful mountainGoat .... best at home dentistry have heard of.... :D

where ever you go ,there you are

StanMoller
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Oct 2022, 8:26 am

Totally agree with Jakki. The best I’ve ever heard too. Thanks for sharing that. Though I still prefer seeing a dentist, I’ll try this option.