Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 5:41 pm

I'm having bad sinus trouble, coupled with extremely itchy ears, mouth and throat. My eyes keep watering and I do such forceful sneezes that don't seem to relieve it at all. I take an antihistamine pill every day and usually it works but sometimes not so much.

I figure it's the dust or invisible mold in the apartment, but my dehumidifier has stopped working properly and we don't know what's wrong with it, my dad is going to come and look at it at the weekend (we can't afford to repair or replace it at the moment). So I can't use that, and it's too cold to have any windows open (the temperature has dropped significantly in the UK at the moment, yes I know it's colder in Siberia and Greenland but this isn't a "who has it colder?" thread, it's about my sinuses).

It's like severe hay fever. Runny nose, itchy eyes, dry ears, and sore/itchy throat. No it's not covid or a cold. I'm often like this, even after inhaling steam in a hot bath. It may help a little but it still doesn't stop the itchy ears and throat. It seems I literally have no wax in my ears at all, they're completely dry.

Help! I feel like this:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 6:14 am

I don’t find the heating in the UK to be as good as that in the US.

I can certainly understand keeping windows closed under typical UK winter conditions.

I experienced this first hand. Even in 10 Celsius temperatures, I still had to wear a sweater in people’s homes while I was in the UK. People have to pay through the nose for heating oil, and people cut down on heating their homes, including landlords.

A place like NYC has many apartment buildings which use steam heat from a centrally-placed boiler. Most people don't have to pay for gas, heat, and water if they live in an apartment building in NYC. They are also, by law, supplied with a refrigerator and a stove. (This applies if the apartment is a rental; if it's a co-op or condo, all bets are off).

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 12:07 am

For the last three weeks, I've had bad hayfever. The worst is when I blow my nose and practically nothing comes out even though I know my sinuses are full of something. My eyes water a lot too. And sore throat? Yes, I think it's from breathing through my mouth while I'm sleeping because my nose is blocked.

I'm allergic to dust and cats and we have both. But my allergies have been particularly bad lately. You have my sympathy.